CZ .375 question

I have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H which also holds 6, I posted on AH somewhere previously.
Good to know, was not aware!

If he's unwilling to meet you, I'd run away from it. If he's a private seller, I can understand not wanting to meet someone from the internet at his home or even at yours. A public shooting range would seem reasonable. Or at a gun shop where you could meet to do the FFL transfer. Something......

Speaking of public ranges, do you shoot at Rio Salado / Usery Pass in Mesa?

Usually Ben Avery.

We sell a lot on GB. Some sellers are just stubborn and don't want to be bothered any more. Check his feedback. If any negatives, I would pass. I would politely press a bit more...

The Guys has 35 transactions and is rated A+. I have 17 transactions on GB maybe half were Firearms check the guys feed back, I had a CZ in 375HH a bit on the heavy side scoped and loaded but a nice Rifle

I emailed AHR and asked if they could tell if they worked on the CZ and got this response immediately.

'It's hard to tell from that one picture if we worked on it or not. It still has the factory trigger and I can't make out what safety it has.
Give them a call and get some more info. Does it have the Winchester style safety? Is the hole in the bolt knob filled? If so, is there some engraving on the end of the bolt knob? If so, then pretty good chance we we worked on it.'

I emailed the seller after he replied that he had no AHR paperwork:

'Much appreciated. Last questions - Does it have the Winchester style safety? Is the hole in the bolt knob filled? If so, is there some engraving on the end of the bolt knob? Finally, ok for local pickup?'

Got this reply -

'Has 2 position factory safety....not Winchester. Bolt has hole....not engraved...as from factory. We are not a retail outlet. Once we have received payment for the rifle we will schedule a mutually convenient time to meet, do the NICs check, etc.

Total that will be due: $ 1,099 (Includes NICs check)
92 AZ sales tax
------------
$ 1,191 USPS money order only.'

Sale price stated is $110 more than on GB. Maybe this gun is a good deal, but I'm going to give it a pass.

I emailed AHR and asked if they could tell if they worked on the CZ and got this response immediately.

'It's hard to tell from that one picture if we worked on it or not. It still has the factory trigger and I can't make out what safety it has.
Give them a call and get some more info. Does it have the Winchester style safety? Is the hole in the bolt knob filled? If so, is there some engraving on the end of the bolt knob? If so, then pretty good chance we we worked on it.'

I emailed the seller after he replied that he had no AHR paperwork:

'Much appreciated. Last questions - Does it have the Winchester style safety? Is the hole in the bolt knob filled? If so, is there some engraving on the end of the bolt knob? Finally, ok for local pickup?'

Got this reply -

'Has 2 position factory safety....not Winchester. Bolt has hole....not engraved...as from factory. We are not a retail outlet. Once we have received payment for the rifle we will schedule a mutually convenient time to meet, do the NICs check, etc.

Total that will be due: $ 1,099 (Includes NICs check)
92 AZ sales tax
------------
$ 1,191 USPS money order only.'

Sale price stated is $110 more than on GB. Maybe this gun is a good deal, but I'm going to give it a pass.

Bail out. Wayne at AHR does not bullshit. Seller is at best misinformed, at worst misrepresenting the rifle.

I had Wayne do some work on my CZ that I sold and also have a full on AHR custom 375. Just because it doesn't have a win safety and his trigger doesn't mean Wayne didn't do some work on it my opinion. He has most likely tweaked on thousand of CZ's and without the original owner's name and Serial No it is unlikely he could tell without seeing the gun. If I was in the market for a CZ, I would buy it and quit asking question's, guy has a perfect GB rating, it's only a thousand, the going rate for a standard CZ 550. I have a friend who is a lookee lou that has been watching the same gun. I told him the same thing, he shot my old Cz and has seen my Custom AHR, loves them both. Just my 2 centavo's

No way I'm buying a rifle online if the seller will not give me pictures. I have purchased a couple of rifles online, one from an AH member, and in both cases exchanged pictures and phone calls. In fact the AH meme took the gun to my brother so he could inspect it for me.
Too many people out there willing to meet you half way to buy something so don't waste your time with someone who will not.

My wife was about to buy me a nice case for my newly purchased double rifle. The case was on gun broker. I was in the area of the seller on business but he wouldn't answer the phone. He was curt with my wife on emails and down right disrespectful. His terms were unacceptable. We walked away and his item is still online.

Hi Charlie, when we talked on the phone you didn’t own a double yet. What did you buy? It’s in my future plans to buy one as well!

Hi Charlie, when we talked on the phone you didn’t own a double yet. What did you buy? It’s in my future plans to buy one as well!

Merkel 470 Nitro Express!

A double is the dream!

Update - picked up an as new (never fired outside the factory), mid-90's (New Haven) Model 70 Super Express Classic in .375 H&H. Full paperwork, original box, essentially no different than the day it left the factory. It's enroute to my smith to accurize the trigger and whatever else needs to be done, but that's about it. I'm pretty excited to see what it can do.

Last edited:
Congrats! If you're a hand loader, I have a few loads you may like to try.

Congrats! If you're a hand loader, I have a few loads you may like to try.
I don't handload. Would like to learn how one of these days, but in the meantime I'm a factory ammo guy.

You should be very happy with that rifle. All of my Mod. 70s have been good shooters.

Congrats on the M70, I have several in the pre 64 Custom configuration, great choice!!

For what it’s worth, I bought a gun from this seller 2 years ago. It was a CZ550 in 458 Lott, advertised as almost new in the box. When I sent it to AHR it turned out the barrel was bent and I had to stand the cost of a new one.
The seller is retired Army, a pretty decent guy, but he doesn’t know crap about CZ rifles in my opinion. I almost bought this rifle for my wife, but after numerous questions that he couldn’t answer I walked away. He sometimes accepts the word of the people who trade in rifles as gospel and he doesn’t know enough to ask questions, he simply parrots what he has been told.

Good to know. That rifle still for sale, maybe one of those too good to be true things…

I have the CZ 550 .375 H&H and it holds 5 in the mag. I suppose you could load it +1 if you really wanted to.

The one I had held 5 down, in the Rigby mine holds 4 down others three down. Depends on the Magazine box apparently. Those with a 458/Lott box hold one less then those with a 375H&H box, I am told.

Greetings -

I'm in the market for a .375 H&H and have it down to CZ, Winchester or Cooper.

Was leaning toward a NIB Winchester but came across this on Gunbroker - http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696086204

Seems like a good deal - especially with the AHR #1 upgrade. However, when I contacted the seller to see if he had additional pics or if I could see the gun in person (we are both AZ) he responded that he had no more pics, the description was accurate and complete and didn't offer to show the rifle in person.

I've been about purchased this one several times, but something just doesn't seem right. Thoughts?

As a newbie to the forum your insights and advice are much appreciated.

View attachment 208250

Think about 375 in Sako 85 model with a stainless steel barrel. Beautiful rifles!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg