Custom 550 Magnum

GAH! Look at that transition from the receiver to the barrel. I can’t see it on my screen. Beautiful piece.
Still chuckling over “…9 pieces of brass”!
 
This is one of the only calibers that blackened my shoulder! Second shot with it on moving speed target and it HUUUUURT! Im not recoil sensitive, AT ALL and it punished me! Shoot this in a weighted sled until you have to shoot it standing and never shoot it off bags! I dont remember bullet weight on his loads but if i remember correctly they were bigger then standard 50 BMG bullet weights???
Anyway, bump for beautiful rifle!
 
This is one of the only calibers that blackened my shoulder! Second shot with it on moving speed target and it HUUUUURT! Im not recoil sensitive, AT ALL and it punished me! Shoot this in a weighted sled until you have to shoot it standing and never shoot it off bags! I dont remember bullet weight on his loads but if i remember correctly they were bigger then standard 50 BMG bullet weights???
Anyway, bump for beautiful rifle!
I think they are 700 grain.
 
This is one of the only calibers that blackened my shoulder! Second shot with it on moving speed target and it HUUUUURT! Im not recoil sensitive, AT ALL and it punished me! Shoot this in a weighted sled until you have to shoot it standing and never shoot it off bags! I dont remember bullet weight on his loads but if i remember correctly they were bigger then standard 50 BMG bullet weights???
Anyway, bump for beautiful rifle!
Shooting this in a weighted sled may be easier on your shoulder, but it's harder on the rifle stock. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Physics can not be denied and a cracked rifle stock is harder to recover from than a bruised shoulder.

I'd highly recommend using a PAST recoil pad and sighting this rifle in from sticks. Preferably a set of quad sticks, but something other than the bench. For the distances and accuracy required for this caliber, it should do the job nicely.
I think they are 700 grain.
FYI - 700 grains at 2400 fps is nearly 9000 lb-ft of energy! :oops:
 
@Flewis It is wby. The brass is longer than the wby. Hard to find. Have MRC actions. Might build a 550-505 on it.
Krish
The 3inch, maybe it will come to me who made it. Might be the best way. Can you set the barrel back? I do like the 505 version better. Frank.
 
Do you have a 505 version ?
Krish
No, it just makes more sense to me. You stay off the high pressure edge that way. The biggest i have is a 585 2:75inch and needs a new stock.
 
Being a straight wall case would that be like a 458wm in lott chamber?
 
No. I have not.
Krish
I spent part of a day in ca with a guy who may be or had something with the beginning of mrc. At that time it was just the actions for sale. That failed sometime in the early 90s. It seems to me they were built off shore some where. It may have also have been in the late 80s. I guess I need to check the history. What area are you from now not before.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,269
Messages
1,571,088
Members
169,253
Latest member
VARGeri003
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top