Custom 550 Magnum

GAH! Look at that transition from the receiver to the barrel. I can’t see it on my screen. Beautiful piece.
Still chuckling over “…9 pieces of brass”!

This is one of the only calibers that blackened my shoulder! Second shot with it on moving speed target and it HUUUUURT! Im not recoil sensitive, AT ALL and it punished me! Shoot this in a weighted sled until you have to shoot it standing and never shoot it off bags! I dont remember bullet weight on his loads but if i remember correctly they were bigger then standard 50 BMG bullet weights???
Anyway, bump for beautiful rifle!

This is one of the only calibers that blackened my shoulder! Second shot with it on moving speed target and it HUUUUURT! Im not recoil sensitive, AT ALL and it punished me! Shoot this in a weighted sled until you have to shoot it standing and never shoot it off bags! I dont remember bullet weight on his loads but if i remember correctly they were bigger then standard 50 BMG bullet weights???
I think they are 700 grain.

Shooting this in a weighted sled may be easier on your shoulder, but it's harder on the rifle stock. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Physics can not be denied and a cracked rifle stock is harder to recover from than a bruised shoulder.

I'd highly recommend using a PAST recoil pad and sighting this rifle in from sticks. Preferably a set of quad sticks, but something other than the bench. For the distances and accuracy required for this caliber, it should do the job nicely.
I think they are 700 grain.
FYI - 700 grains at 2400 fps is nearly 9000 lb-ft of energy! :oops:

@Flewis It is wby. The brass is longer than the wby. Hard to find. Have MRC actions. Might build a 550-505 on it.
Krish
The 3inch, maybe it will come to me who made it. Might be the best way. Can you set the barrel back? I do like the 505 version better. Frank.

The 3inch, maybe it will come to me who made it. Might be the best way. Can you set the barrel back? I do like the 505 version better. Frank.
Do you have a 505 version ?
Krish

Do you have a 505 version ?
Krish
No, it just makes more sense to me. You stay off the high pressure edge that way. The biggest i have is a 585 2:75inch and needs a new stock.

Being a straight wall case would that be like a 458wm in lott chamber?

No. I have not.
Krish
I spent part of a day in ca with a guy who may be or had something with the beginning of mrc. At that time it was just the actions for sale. That failed sometime in the early 90s. It seems to me they were built off shore some where. It may have also have been in the late 80s. I guess I need to check the history. What area are you from now not before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!