Culling in Africa

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Werdus Smith, May 23, 2011.

1. Werdus Smith

Werdus Smith AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia RSA
    Sir
    It`s a pity that your laws prohibit the commercial use of game, because that actually prohibits the numbers of game animals kept. If they had monetary value it would mean that there would be a lot more game on private land possibly even game farmers!
    Game meat is a wonderful natural source of protein, hugely undervalued for its health benefits over commercially farmed lamb or beef.
    At the moment I only harvest springbok and oryx, because our abattoirs that are certified for export, does not have a high enough slaughter lines that can accomodate the larger animal carcasses.
    I am leaving tomorrow again for a week wherein we (me and two colleages) have to harvest 800 springbok.
    Thank you for the interest.
    Regards
    Werdus

2. Turkeyslayer 1300

Turkeyslayer 1300 New Member

I found this thread incredibly interesting. I wanted to bump it to the top so others can see it.

Coming from a country where selling game is strictly forbidden this is a whole other world to me.

3. saeng101

saeng101 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunting & Conservation, CHASA, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA,Zim,RSA,Russia,Moz
    What a great set up for handling the meat. I have been on implala culls and we had to run a crew to get loaded vehicles back to the slaughter point. The buyer provided refer trucks. We mostly used .22 with silencers and subsonic. One back up bigger rifle for the few wounded. In SA night hunting is a problem and needs a permit. .22 also needs permission if you are not "family,"

4. 35bore

35bore AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Think I just found a new profession.... thanks for sharing Werdus Smith

5. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Werdus, welcome to AH Form. Glad to hear from your side of the "hunting" world. When I was in Namibia 3 months ago at Jamy Traut's Panorama Camp south of Windhoek we went through a couple of small towns going there and I saw posters advertising for culling operations looking for so many gemsbuck or so many springbuck. Now it is very interesting to see your side of that advert. Thanks.

6. Mack

Mack AH Member

Hunted:
    Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Texas, Tajikistan, S Africa, Zim, Philippines, NZ, Aussie, Canada , Alaska, Malaysia, Palau
    I am interested to participate in your culling hunt could you mail me for your next outing please > thanks

7. joester

joester AH Veteran

Member of:
    No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
    Hunted:
    US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
    Hello Werdus,

Thanks very much for the photos and overall information. I hunted near Outjo in 2010 with Christi Liebenberg, who did culling in addition to guiding. He told me about culling seals on the beach, shooting big bulls only with .22's. He said it was sloppy & messy compared to truck culling. The meat, I think, went for dog food? He visited me in the US and took home plenty of .243 bullets for reloading, but airport thieves stole most of them. One of the things I enjoy most while transiting through southern Africa on hunts is the great variety of game meats on restaurant menus. Here in the states- - its beef or chicken! Cheers!

8. Hein Hanekom

Hein Hanekom New Member

Middag Werdus

Hoe maak ek as ek deel van jou span wil raak? Laat my weet op hein75@gmail.com

9. Saul

Saul AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    USA, England, Hungary, Argentina
    What do you think of the fact that hunters travel from all over the world to spend a week to try and get a shot on just one springbok or oryx and pay thousands of dollars to do it? To me, is seems like getting to have as many lamborghinis as you want because it is a part of your job.

Rob404 likes this.

10. Werdus Smith

Werdus Smith AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia RSA
    Saul
    Trophy hunting is a passion that drives individuals to spending great amounts of energy and money to get their desired quarry.
    Harvesting to me is a job that needs to be done as professionally as possible and collecting trophies has no place in it.
    Having said that, I have through my travels seen some serious trophies with neat head shots that will make any trophy collector worth his salt cringe.
    For instance: One of my team mates shot an Oryx cow with a set of 48 inch horns a little while back while I shot one in the same herd with 44 inch horns. So, Yes, it is a little unfair to the dedicated trophy hunter who spends a lot of time, energy and resources that someone not even interested in the trophies should have such an opportunity.

11. Johnny reb

Johnny reb AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA- buckmasters
    Thanks for posting I believe i can speak for everyone that this was very Iinformative .

12. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Very interesting process sir!

13. Michael Wang

Michael Wang New Member

Hi Werdus, I am in the game skin business RSA and I'm interesting in buying large quantity of springbok skins. Do you think that we can have a chat about this matter or send me email?

14. Petrus Geldenhuys

Petrus Geldenhuys AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia
    Very interesting Werdus. You are culling on a big scale!

15. Spear Safaris

Spear Safaris SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI life member, PHASA life member
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines