Crazy Bullet Design Idea

Dr Ray

AH legend
Joined
Apr 1, 2017
Messages
4,298
Reaction score
6,534
Location
Cairns, Australia
Media
53
Articles
5
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
7
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Okay so I think about these things at all sorts of strange times.

I ran this by Geoff McDonald from Woodleigh bullet manufacturer too but he said (understandably) that they are too busy to develop new products at the moment. Geoff said the idea would probably work.

My crazy idea is to design a bullet that has 2 sections. The first section hits the target and drives a boat tail base into the second stage that opens up copper petals. These petals are significantly greater is diameter than the bullet diameter and would cause massive wound channels and to decelerate the bullet to release its energy. At the same time, the bullet,then is less likely to exit because it is "captured" by the skin because of the copper petals.
What are your thoughts?
Bear in mind that technology must keep advancing and what we thought of as great in years gone by, may not be so great now. I look forward to your comments.
 
Sounds like the TSX/TTSX.
 
So, idea is that the expanding part is after the ogive, but the nose does not upset?
 
The front section should keep going straight as long as petals flare equally (I hope).
Do to answer you
Yes
 
I think expansion would be less. The ogive peels back which is a lot of material, I believe.
 
The petals would be way back near the base so the front section expands as per normal
 
I don't really get what you are trying to say here but I think your idea is like the military duplex round from the 80s that never left the prototype stage do to bad accuracy.
cutaways9JW1210021.jpg
 

Attachments

  • cutaways9JW1210021.jpg
    cutaways9JW1210021.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 296
I don't really get what you are trying to say here but I think your idea is like the military duplex round from the 80s that never left the prototype stage do to bad accuracy.
cutaways9JW1210021.jpg

Holy crap that's scary.
 
Is sounds like the bullet equivalent to a mechanical broadhead. I like fixed broadheads.
 
Creating a revolutionary small arms round is very hard to do but African cartridges actually could be a great platform as they are larger so you can put more stuff into it. Biggest problem is you probably can't use explosive rounds for hunting like the raufoss round, mini heat round, or some sort of explosive that blows out the back end of a round creating a backwards parachute. All other interesting rounds the military has wouldn't work for hunting as ap is the biggest thing they need not crushing damage.
 
Also these extreme expanding rounds have trouble going though clothes and certainly would work against bone. Copper petals also have the tendency to break off when shot.
 
The idea of the petals - near the base to open up like a parachute.
 
This sounds similar to a peregrine bullet.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,355
Members
169,530
Latest member
ShelbyKidd
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top