Couple of things

breatheandsqueeze

AH member
Reaction score
Wheels up April 1 2017 for my first trip to the dark continent return on the 10th. Have been doing a lot of research but still have tons of questions.
Plains game this time
Probably going to use Gracy travel and do the VIP service.
Taking my own firearms
Uncle will go and take photos only
going to hunt for 7 days
may be a side trip for fishing or wing shooting
probably fly from Dallas to Dubai then JBerg hopefully business class
Now for the first 2 questions.............

Guns only in hard case??????????????? Can I pack other items with it besides ammo?

Emirates or Delta?

now the hard one.
I have a custom rifle that I would love to take then give to my grandson. It is a 22-243AI and would be amazing on small plains game antelope etc. My dilemma is that the head stamp is .243 and the barrel is stamped .22-243 AI. I know that it would not be a problem to put my reloads in a factory box but just don't want hassles.
My other rifle is a 300 Win Mag that is my go to for larger animals.
Do I leave the custom at home and go with the vanilla 300 WM or give it a go.
What say the Gurus???
Thanks

Personally, I would leave them both home and use their guns. I took mine, will not do that again. However, if you insist on taking your gun, take the 300WN and leave the other one home.

If you are flying from DFW you have several choices. I would not use an agent to book your flight, that way you have control of the ticket and not the agent. If you do take a gun, use a meet and greet service to get you thru immigration & customs. If you have to overnight, I would recommend either city lodge or intercontinental (is the nicest and most expensive, but the shortest walk). I have stayed at Africa Sky, nothing against it, just that city and intercontinental are more convenient.

There are three middle eastern airlines that are very competitive with each other, price everyone out. You can use ITA Matrix for pricing.

Never had them compare headstamp and barrel. Only gone 4 times so I don't know it all. I also put clothes in with my rifle. Did so last Oct/Nov and had no issues. Have a great time. Bruce

Reactions: lcq
$10.00 American in the right hands will guarantee the 22 in 22 243 to disappear real easy, but seriously I never saw anybody check my caliber against Ammo , Serial Number match to 4457 form definitely, I Didn't mind taking my own Rifles to Africa and do yourself a favor and contact Lori at Travel Express

I only fear two things, clowns and foreign jails. That being said you will definitely run into some clowns at or tambo, that can not be helped but I would not risk the ammo, odds are it would slide right through in jburg but the Middle East is not some where I would want Murphy to strike. There are a few companies that will make you properly head stamped brass(pricey for sure). If you don't go that route, I'd leave the 22 at home and not chance losing the rifle or worse yet ruin your hunt dealing with lawyers and then the eternity of times your wife will rip your ass because you knew better. Lol
Enjoy your hunt,
Cody

I would take the 300 with 165gr Swift A-Frames and leave the other rifle at home. Possibly 150gr Nosler Partitions.
If you use a 2 gun QUALITY HARD CASE you could put a set of collapsible shooting sticks in with the rifle. That is if you are doing spot and stalk and need them. If the PH has a set use one set for the rifle and the other for your elbow. Much more steady.
I used alum cases with 2 layers of foam on each side. I took one layer out from each side and placed hunting clothes there and other clothes on the trip over. Same for the trip back plus some items we bought there. There was no problem. Do NOT place ammo in with the rifle. A separate locked box for the ammo.
I have read differing stories about Emirates but only good from Delta. We use South African and I had no complaints.
I will take my on rifles again next trip(2017 or2018) but this time I will use a gun service. Ended up paying for them anyway in order to catch my connecting flight last time. Next time less headaches. We use Lori who is on this site and she was great correcting a possible trip ruining problem with the airline(Virgin) right out of San Francisco before we even left. The bad part it was a Sunday nite flight. She took my call, went to her office, corrected the problem and we were able to get on our flight with time to spare.
Before I booked with Lori I tried Gracy and they could not even be bothered to call me back to book.
I will use Lori again and Henry's gun service who also in on this site.

Again leave the wildcat at home. You are better off with the 300 anyway. Use good bullets and you will not do too much damage on small game or if you feel it needed ask the PH/outfitter if they have a small caliber gun you could rent/borrow. I used my 338win mag on everything and never had too much damage.
I did a ton of research before we went. If you want to talk PM me and I will shoot you my phone number.
We hunted and I will return to the East Cape out of Port Elizabeth.
You should have a great time.

Be sure to pack a bunch of hard candy such as Skilitles (sp) for the help. They will love you for it and really take care of you. Just take it with you each day and hand it out as the day goes on. T-shirts, ball caps and such are also good. We were overweight(I took a cheap digital fishing scale with me) for the trip home with all we bought on our 5 days of sight-seeing before the hunt so I just left my cheaper($40) sneakers, plain t-shirts, socks and such behind for the staff. I weight the suitcases and when they were ok left the scale also. That stuff is easy and pretty cheap to replace here. The stuff we bought in Africa was much more important.
If you are a Rum drinker be sure to bring a bottle of Red Heart Rum home with you.
Leave your extra ammo there, even if it is costly and fill your ammo box with easy to break items had you pad well to avoid breakage by the airline gorillas.

Fly Delta flight 200 over from Atlanta and 201 back, take your own rifle in 300 win mag, use Riflepermits.co VIP meet and greet along with gun license application service, do not pack ammo in gun case......must be in locked case inside your checked bag, search for and buy your own ticket.

Have a great time

Fly Delta flight 200 over from Atlanta and 201 back, take your own rifle in 300 win mag, use Riflepermits.co VIP meet and greet along with gun license application service, do not pack ammo in gun case......must be in locked case inside your checked bag, search for and buy your own ticket.

Have a great time

All good advice. I put my knife, rangefinder and a few other gadgets in my gun case.
Have a copy of your rifle permit with you, you don't need it but the idiots at the ticket counter don't know that.
As others frequently suggest. Lay out your clothes and money, take half as many clothes and twice as much money.

Caustin has it exact take the 300 leave the wildcat at home, use a rifle service fly on delta from atl. and as someone said i found a well place 20 dollar bill goes far in the right hands in tambo

Have a great time

+1 on that. Have done this exact scenario before

1) Don't pack the ammo with the rifles. In some circumstances that may be okay, but better to keep separated.

2) I have flown Emirates only once, this past October. Far above and beyond the service you'll get with any other airline I've ever flown and the price could not be beat at that time. That said, pay attention to layover times. I'd forego the service and/or price depending on layover time. Delta is certainly the most convenient as you leave the country you're from and arrive in the country you're going to. There is definitely something to be said for that. But it also involves a night's stay in Jo'burg, so there is a cost factor there.

3) I have a .458B&M that I've taken twice to Africa. The .458B&M is based on the .300RUM case. Shortened and blown out to .458". The barrel is stamped .458B&M / .300RUM while the ammo is headstamped .300RUM. On the first trip SAPS only looked in the ammo box to confirm there was only ammo and no guns in that box, they did not look at the ammo closely. The second trip they didn't even do that. Take the rifle if you really want to. I think the worst case scenario is they take your ammo and you won't be able to hunt with that rifle. If you use one of the services for a pre-approved permit, you'll have someone there to make things go smoothly. Perhaps you'll have to pay a $10 "fine", but I really doubt that based on my .458B&M experience. Furthermore, there are quite a few B&M caliber owners who have taken their rifles to Africa and I've never heard of anyone having an issue.

Leave the wildcat at home!

Bring the standard 300.

Get a two gun Americase to protect your guns! Detachable scopes a must, don't leave scopes on guns in transport!

Use a gun service your first trip.

Use emirates, biz class if you wish.

Get out of Jo'burg and into the bush asap, don't overnight in city.

Have lots of fun!

Get a two gun Americase to protect your guns! Detachable scopes a must, don't leave scopes on guns in transport!

With the scopes detached, do you still have this in the Americase? Or do you put them in a separate container?

My scopes, optics, accessories never leave my side. Carry-on with all permits, meds and money.

No problems with going through security with the scopes? I know it actually says in some TSA regs somewhere it's okay. But I've heard on the way back, that it has been problematic.

I'm totally with you on carrying them, best way to keep the luggage goons from breaking them.

I've never had anything but serial number checked on rifles when using a gun clearing service.

you got a lot of good advice here. I have never had anyone (US or Canadian customs and SAPS) check anything but the serial number on the gun. Bring the 300 because if they lose your luggage 300wm is freely available in SA. There is a much higher chance of losing your luggage than a gun. I personally have never had a problem with Delta and that included flying out of anti-gun Montreal. Atlanta is very gun friendly and efficient, I wouldn't trust NY as far as I could throw a post hole. Bring your own gun, you know it, you are comfortable with it and it is a known quantity. I had a bad experience with a rental gun and won't take the chance again

Have fun

I would take the 300 with 165gr Swift A-Frames and leave the other rifle at home. Possibly 150gr Nosler Partitions.
If you use a 2 gun QUALITY HARD CASE you could put a set of collapsible shooting sticks in with the rifle. That is if you are doing spot and stalk and need them. If the PH has a set use one set for the rifle and the other for your elbow. Much more steady.
I used alum cases with 2 layers of foam on each side. I took one layer out from each side and placed hunting clothes there and other clothes on the trip over. Same for the trip back plus some items we bought there. There was no problem. Do NOT place ammo in with the rifle. A separate locked box for the ammo.
I have read differing stories about Emirates but only good from Delta. We use South African and I had no complaints.
I will take my on rifles again next trip(2017 or2018) but this time I will use a gun service. Ended up paying for them anyway in order to catch my connecting flight last time. Next time less headaches. We use Lori who is on this site and she was great correcting a possible trip ruining problem with the airline(Virgin) right out of San Francisco before we even left. The bad part it was a Sunday nite flight. She took my call, went to her office, corrected the problem and we were able to get on our flight with time to spare.
Before I booked with Lori I tried Gracy and they could not even be bothered to call me back to book.
I will use Lori again and Henry's gun service who also in on this site.

Again leave the wildcat at home. You are better off with the 300 anyway. Use good bullets and you will not do too much damage on small game or if you feel it needed ask the PH/outfitter if they have a small caliber gun you could rent/borrow. I used my 338win mag on everything and never had too much damage.
I did a ton of research before we went. If you want to talk PM me and I will shoot you my phone number.
We hunted and I will return to the East Cape out of Port Elizabeth.
You should have a great time.

Be sure to pack a bunch of hard candy such as Skilitles (sp) for the help. They will love you for it and really take care of you. Just take it with you each day and hand it out as the day goes on. T-shirts, ball caps and such are also good. We were overweight(I took a cheap digital fishing scale with me) for the trip home with all we bought on our 5 days of sight-seeing before the hunt so I just left my cheaper($40) sneakers, plain t-shirts, socks and such behind for the staff. I weight the suitcases and when they were ok left the scale also. That stuff is easy and pretty cheap to replace here. The stuff we bought in Africa was much more important.
If you are a Rum drinker be sure to bring a bottle of Red Heart Rum home with you.
Leave your extra ammo there, even if it is costly and fill your ammo box with easy to break items had you pad well to avoid breakage by the airline gorillas.
Great advice here, I had a situation in Amsterdam (permit) within 24 hours before my flight, I tried one last call and that was to Lori, the morning I was to leave she called me and told me to check my Fax machine and sure enough after me dicking around for 2 months she got it handled in one day

I left the scopes on all 3 rifles and all was well but I did use a high quality case. If I used a Tuff Pac I might take them off. But then I would be more concerned with their zero when I got there. I guess it is not a big problem as I can get them zeroed in 3-6 rounds usually and I bring max weight in ammo. But I have seen people shoot 40 rounds and still not get them zeroed. That is when they usually ask me to step in at the ranges(2) that I shoot and RSO at.
I do not use quick release mounts and that may factor in also. I also use very durable scopes on all my hunting rifles---Leupold and that is all.
Using the gun service guy at airports in Africa cost as much or more than if I had started with them. Heck they went behind the counter did the work and the people barely glanced at the rifles. I think more to count the number than look at serial numbers. He told them he checked them and they accepted that. I will get the gun service before I go this next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ValentinMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.