Changes to US firearms export process, who has details ??

MarcelV

AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.marvelafrica.com
Member of
SA Hunters, PHASA
There is currently allot of confusion regarding the legislation changes and requirements of the new implemented act in the USA.

Bellow i have attached a article i found regarding these changes..
#1: is it implemented or not ? there are quite a bit of conflicting information in this regard !
#2: what is required from the US citizen to comply with this process ?

I hope someone who has more information or has actually been though this process can assist me with some information.

Thanks
Marcel
Safari Club International has received information about changes in the requirements for hunters who wish to export/bring their firearms and ammunition with them when they travel to hunt outside the United States. SCI has been researching these new requirements in order to understand exactly why these changes are going into effect and what will be required of our members who wish to travel with their firearms and ammunition to hunt in other countries. A great deal of confusion still remains, but we are attempting to present members with some of the questions being raised and the answers we have discovered so far. Please note that the information below is not intended to serve as legal advice. Before traveling, SCI members are advised to consult directly with U.S. Customs and Border Protection and/or their own legal counsel:
Q: What is now required of a hunter who wishes to export/bring his or her firearms/ammunition to hunt outside the U.S.?
A: The firearms and ammunition to be exported must be with the individual’s accompanied or unaccompanied (checked) baggage or effects. The owner must declare that the firearms and/or ammunition to be exported are for his/her exclusive use and not for re-export or other transfer of ownership. The owner must state that it is his/her intent to return with the firearms/ammunition on his/her return to the United States.
See 22 C.F.R. §123.17
Q: Which of these requirements are new?
A: Firearm/ammunition owners are newly being required to submit Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the Automated Export System (AES) to obtain an Internal Transaction Number (ITN). The AES is a joint venture between CBP, the Foreign Trade Division of the Bureau of the Census (under the Department of Commerce), the Bureau of Industry and Security (under Commerce), the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (under the Department of State), other Federal agencies, and the export trade community.
Q: How are the new export requirements different than what was previously required?
A: For many years, the State Department’s International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR) have allowed Americans to temporarily export up to three non-automatic firearms and up to 1,000 rounds of ammunition without a license, as long as the firearms were declared and presented to a CBP officer (also known as a Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) license exemption). Previously, the owner of the firearms/ammunition would bring the firearms/ammunition to a CBP office at some point before the trip and would complete Customs Form 4457—a form that can be completed for any personal property and that is normally used to prove that the traveler owned the property before going abroad. The form protects a traveler from paying import duties on items already owned. The owner of the firearms/ammunition would retain the form and present it upon reentry if needed. Form 4457 will no longer satisfy the requirements for bringing firearms/ammunition out of the country.
Additional information about the new requirements can be obtained from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website: https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq
Q: Why is this change going into effect now?
A: These new requirements became part of regulations that went into effect in 2012. For reasons unknown at this time, the government has only recently decided to implement them.
Q: When do these changes go into effect?
A: While we do not know for certain, some sources indicate that these changes have already gone into effect. Other sources state that the changes will be imposed on April 3, 2015. Regardless, it appears that CBP may not actually be ready to fully implement these changes. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) may not be able to require individuals to use the AES system because the system requires entry of an Employer Identification Number (EIN). EINs are normally only obtained by businesses, and the Internal Revenue Service says they should only be used for tax purposes. Because individuals do not generally possess EINs, it may not be possible for ICE to require hunters to utilize them for firearms exportation purposes. SCI is currently investigating this question.
SCI has learned from the National Rifle Association that CBP has instituted a temporary plan for those who wish to export their firearms and who are either unaware of the new requirements or are unable to use the AES system. We have been told that, under the temporary plan, CBP officers at airports can manually enter identifying information about the traveler/exporter and his/her firearms. SCI is attempting to verify this information. We do not know how long this temporary plan may be in effect. We also do not know what system will be available for those who are leaving the U.S. by means other than airports (e.g., driving to Canada).
Q: What is SCI doing to address these changes?
A: Currently, SCI is gathering information to try to better inform our members about what they will need to do to ensure that they are complying the new requirements. At the same time, we will be working on ways to delay the implementation of the requirements until our members have a better understanding of how to comply. We are also working with our partners in the hunting and recreational shooting communities to challenge the implementation of these requirements. We will continue to update you as we obtain additional information.

I tried to get a EIN today online and was denied. Probably because I already have one for business purposes. On the online app., there is NOT an option to obtain a INDIVIDUAL EIN, just business's. Business EIN's are not permissible.

The SS-4 Application for Employer Identification Number has a option of "Other" (specify). The CBP/DHS agent in Minneapolis states, fill in specify as, AES Direct Account. He also sent me the form that you will get on the AES website to fill out. Also he sent the filing codes, Schedule B# Numbers for guns, ammo, scopes etc. This is very helpful as I will fill out the form in advance before getting on the AES site, which can be accessed at, http//www.ice.gov/cpi/faq.

I will fax my SS-4 in for my Individual EIN which is to be back to me in 4 days.

I have so much from other sources that want to take care of this for you and charge you when you can do it for free!

Contact me at r_heintzman@Hotmail.com and I can send you all I have and give you the agent's number in Minneapolis should you have questions.

Mind boggling, OH YES!

Apr 23 2015
Hoeven: U.S. Hunters No Longer Required to Register With IRS to Take Personal Firearms on International Hunts
Senator Secures CBP's Commitment to Return to Previous Travel Forms
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator John Hoeven, chairman of the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Committee, today announced that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will no longer require U.S hunters traveling internationally to obtain an IRS identification number in order to bring personal weapons on hunting trips outside the U.S. At a meeting early Wednesday with U.S. CBP Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske, Hoeven secured a commitment from the agency to return to the paper process used by international hunters for years, while updates are made to the automated reporting system for exporting weapons. Kurlekowske said the agency’s web site would be updated later today.

“Hunters should not have to register as a business with the IRS in order to bring their weapons and ammunition on international hunting trips,” said Hoeven. “This is an unnecessary and burdensome requirement on law-abiding citizens. We appreciate that CBP has recognized this and will return to their original forms for international hunters, while they update their automated system to recognize the difference between a commercial exporter and a sportsman traveling on a hunting trip to Canada or another country.”

CBP recently began enforcing regulatory changes from 2012 requiring U.S. hunters to comply with commercial export requirements when transporting firearms outside the U.S. for personal use. Under these requirements, in order for a U.S. hunter to take personal weapons to another country temporarily, the individual would have to register the weapon in the Automated Export System (AES) and provide a transaction number to CBP.

The AES is designed for commercial exporters and requires all users to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS in order to access the system. CBP has acknowledged that forcing hunters to obtain an EIN is not appropriate. Under the agreement reached this week, the agency will allow international hunters to use the original paper process while CBP works with the Department of State on an appropriate long-term solution.

http://www.hoeven.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/news-releases?ID=274eb6ef-cf8f-4ebe-9c15-b5fb71a76999

Temporary Exportation of Firearms

Release Date:
April 23, 2015

WASHINGTON— U.S. Customs and Border Protection will continue to follow the long standing practice of issuing and certifying a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) to ensure that no traveler attempting to legally take their firearm out of the country experiences significant delays or incurs additional cost due to the implementation of a new regulation requiring an electronic filing. CBP's enforcement focus is on those engaged in illegal exportation of firearms for use by overseas organizations and individuals wishing to cause harm.

During this time, when a traveler contacts CBP to report export of a firearm, CBP will:

• Assist the traveler to complete a CBP Form 4457 to assist in an issue free return to the U.S.
  • Provide a fact sheet about the regulation and how to comply.
Additionally, CBP is working with our other government partners to modify the AES system and the reporting process to make a more user-friendly experience for individual travelers.

CBP recommends that travelers allow a few hours for the declaration of the firearms to CBP and advises travelers to become familiar with the import requirements of the foreign country(s) that they may be traveling through or visiting. The countries may have more restrictive laws and regulations regarding the use of firearms.

Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require the traveler to file electronic export information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States. AES has a free web-based internet application known as AESDirect that permits the traveling public to electronically report the Electronic Export Information (EEI) for temporary export of their firearm(s).

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/2015-04-23-000000/temporary-exportation-firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,