outwestidaho

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, cape of south Africa , Namibia, Alaska, British Columbia, Manitoba
Nick white from idaho shoots the first cape buffalo with an air rifle at numzaan safaris.

IMG-20180501-WA0000.jpg

What are the specs on that rifle ?

This is off his facebook page Airgun adventurer :

Hi , so have been getting some PM's about my gun . it started off life as a .457 extreme big bore a couple years ago . They set the gun up to run on helium . since then i have highly modified it and adjusted it . Since i started this crazy ride almost 3 years ago i realized i needed something special. So the final results are The .458 Rhino , why I call it that is i have modified it to use monolithic and copper jacketed bullets you can buy off the shelf , as far as i know my gun is the only airgun in the world that can run bullets instead of lead casts , if there is another i would love love love to hear about it , In my shop using lighter bullets we can get crono speeds above 1300 fps in the field with 350 grain solids I am right at 1200 fps. I am in the process of changing my gun again and have some new ideas to make it easier to field so stay tuned !

1200 fps - sounds like a good way to get someone hurt.

I wonder how he got by the .375 HH minimum!

Well congrats! Glad it turned out O.K. (next thing you know they will be trying frozen herrings)

Why the "air" gun should run on helium? What are helium advantages over air?

Do you still use helium as propellant, since this may complicate things when bringing rifle to Africa?

(helium compressed cylinder in airplane?)

This air rifles are deadly and can definitely kill an animal. Will this air rifles pass the current hunting legislation in RSA or is it once again a matter of technology has outdated and surpassed the law

Why the "air" gun should run on helium? What are helium advantages over air?

Do you still use helium as propellant, since this may complicate things when bringing rifle to Africa?

(helium compressed cylinder in airplane?)

There is a very long explanation regarding joule Thompson coefficients of air vs helium but the end result is they aren’t ideal gases and don’t expand the same. In fact for the same volume and pressure of air and helium you will get less work out of the air when you expand it than the helium. So basically faster bullets for the same gas tank specs.

That is the scientific answer. A second more layman answer is when you compress humid air you get liquid water, which when stored for long times afield can accelerate the rusting process. So you can either use tell the customer to use helium which is typically very dry or use corrosion resistant steel increasing your production cost. From the manufacture standpoint it doesn’t make sense to use air at all.

Hydrogen should work well...oh wait, wasn't there something about a hindenberg???

Sorry, smart a*^% comment from the Chemical Engineer in the room.

By the way, I agree with the comment above, 1200 fps on a buff is going to get someone killed.

Hydrogen should work well...oh wait, wasn't there something about a hindenberg???

Sorry, smart a*^% comment from the Chemical Engineer in the room.

Didn’t know we had another chem e stalking around here on the forum. Nice to met you sir.

I agree hydrogen may be better yet for getting that last bit of energy out of a set pressure of gas, and I can’t imagine many ignition sources out in the wild, but transporting a H2 tank may be harder than He or air. I hate to think of the paperwork on that one

We sneak in where we are least expected. To make it even more sinister, I am a Canadian Chemical Engineer!

When was this bull taken?

This air rifles are deadly and can definitely kill an animal. Will this air rifles pass the current hunting legislation in RSA or is it once again a matter of technology has outdated and surpassed the law
Not at 1200 fps it hasn't

I’m gonna stick with the original 470NE idea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg