Canada moose hunt recommendations

Texas gator

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I had a hunt in South Africa planned for this June that has been canceled. So now I’m looking to scratch something else off my bucket list and moose is on that list. I can not afford a Alaska / Yukon hunt. I have found a few that looked good but are already booked for 2020. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had several great hunts in Newfoundland , most outfitters can supply a bear tag as well. Fantastic people there. Beautifully rugged place

I have a 2021 moose hunt booked with Horseshoe Creek Outfitters http://www.horseshoecreekoutfitters.com/

I met Ray Jackson at the Houston Safari Club show and liked what I saw and heard. I talked or emailed with 3-4 references. Turns out a guy I work with has hunted with them several times and gave them a very strong recommendation too.

They do 6 day and 10 day hunts, fly into Fort St John and then a hour and a half drive. A hunting buddy and I booked a 10 day and hope to add on some other critters too (black bear, deer, elk) but moose it the main event.

I've got a fall bear hunt with gander river outfitters lined up, they also offer moose hunts. There is also the option of a stumble on bear tag to go with your moose hunt for a small extra fee.

Maine has a moose draw.

Looking for 2020. I plan on going back to Africa in 21. I think I would prefer British Columbia,Alberta,Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

I've got a fall bear hunt with gander river outfitters lined up, they also offer moose hunts. There is also the option of a stumble on bear tag to go with your moose hunt for a small extra fee.

i was hoping you were able to contact Matt, great guide, you won't be disappointed, are u bringing the new .375?

i was hoping you were able to contact Matt, great guide, you won't be disappointed, are u bringing the new .375?

That is the plan, my only hang up at present is finding homecare for father while I'm in Newfoundland. It is currently hard to make arrangements due to covid. I may have to delay until next spring depending on what arrengments I can make for father. Matt was kind enough to offer that as an option. The original plan was to bring father but his health has deteriorated sense then.

Back to original spirit of your request Texas gator. I personally have not moose hunted the provinces on your list but one of my customers have done very well in southern Alberta. All farmland and woodlots with mule deer available as well. It may take a bit but I'll try to find the outfitter he uses.

The problem with trying to find a hunt for this year 2020 is that most if not all of the better outfitters out there will already be booked for this year and the ones that are not booked will be that way for a reason.

I have hunted moose and Woodland Caribou over 20 times in northern Newfoundland since the mid 80's at Tuckamore Lodge in Main Brook. I have hunted solo, with friends, my daughter and son-in-law, years later with my son from my second marriage and last year with my grandson. We all took our animals and had a great time. The main camp is 4+ Star on a beautiful lake with great accommodations, meals and facilities. There is a remote camp which is literally 13 miles from anything consisting of a modern log cabin situated on a bluff between two lakes (I helped snowmobile the logs and material in one winter) and a third camp in another remote area. The last two camps have a maximum of 4 hunters per hunt and you will not see anyone else during your hunt. Over the years we have taken moose from bootjacks for the meat to bulls measuring 59 inches extreme spread. I have several at 40-42" and one 48". If you want a MONSTER Moose go to the Yukon. If you want a great hunt with great guides and almost 100% success, go to Tuckamore Lodge (tuckamorelodge.com). It is also a great place for Trout and Atlantic Salmon fishing, snowmobiling and general touring. Check it out!!!

The problem with trying to find a hunt for this year 2020 is that most if not all of the better outfitters out there will already be booked for this year and the ones that are not booked will be that way for a reason.

a lot of the outfitters I've talked too this spring have had a many hunters back out due to covid 19. So in Newfoundland and New Brunswick atleast there are opens with quility outfitters.

Problem is right now you can't come from the US to Canada as a visitor. When you can you may be required to 14 days isolation.

Woodland Caribou are only found in Newfoundland and are a beautiful animal with a basket shaped many pointed rack. Outstanding trophy!!!

I went to newfoundland several years ago moose hunting. Hunt was 4k at the time. Got a small one but totally happy.
At that time they had raised the caribou price to 11k due to dwindling numbers. Not sure if that situation has changed. They told me a few years before they threw them in as an add on for 1k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg