Can we please stop talking about "flat shooting" cartridges

Good luck with your trash cans, I hear they can be terrifying when they charge, but I'm sure you can handle them with that Lott! That one was a joke.
Doug I was referring to the BC of the bullets and how the cartridge bleeds energy terribly. It's not exactly a 200 yard cartridge, but I feel like beyond that I'd be better off reaching for a .375 or something else that is actually conserving its energy...
@Doug Hamilton
I enjoy our banter and I'm glad you dislike the 243.
I'm still going to use my 35Whelen on scuba bulls just to prove you wrong. Just on the off chance your right I have also invested in good running shoes and a quick release flap in my hunting pants. The flap is so I don't stain my pants in case of emergency.
Bob
A man with a quick release flap in his "hunting pants"... Are there sheep where you're hunting Bob? :A Stirring: :P Elmer Fudd::A Outta:

Doug I was referring to the BC of the bullets and how the cartridge bleeds energy terribly. It's not exactly a 200 yard cartridge, but I feel like beyond that I'd be better off reaching for a .375 or something else that is actually conserving its energy...

A man with a quick release flap in his "hunting pants"... Are there sheep where you're hunting Bob? :A Stirring: :P Elmer Fudd::A Outta:
"Where men are men and sheep are nervous?"

Last edited:
Well we all know that the 6.5CM was the first 6.5mm cartridge ever invented. It hits harder at 1,700 yards than a .300 win does at 25 yards and shoots as so flat that it actually curves away from gravity for a few hundred meters (real shooters/operators use meters.... not the yards that are so common among the plebeians). Also since it was the first 6.5 ever invented, it is superior to everything currently out there. It really does its best hunting in a 17.5 lb straight taper, 32" barreled match rifle with a 32x-64x75mm scope with 1/16 MOA adjustable, exposed turrets. Its so flat, and hits so hard, I have no doubt that it would knock a zebra out cold from 2,300m, where most REAL shooters would shoot them from.

I am just passing along facts here... not someone's opinion.... cold. hard. facts.
Yes, yes. I've heard all that but still I don't have one. I Betta get one cause some you whipper snapper told me online it will out do any of my geriatric .30's
I have those and a penchant for 7mm's
Can you please go to all the boards on the internet and say this? Maybe it will help me find ammo cheaper.

Guessed I missed the memo as to why all the hate for the 6.5CM. Have been shooting it for the 12 years. Have recorded hit at 1500 yards. Have hit 3/4" targets at 395 yards with factory ammo 3X in a row. Put a round in a T box at 1300 yards. Is it the best 6.5 cartridge? I can't answer that. I can say after 8k+ rounds it is a worthy cartridge.

It doesn't bother me, I have actually facts on the cartridge. What bothers me is someone that might pass on it due to the negative comments made about it.
It's the nonsense the new shooters come out with that sh1ts me
@Wyatt Smith
Very well said young Mr Smith couldn't have said it better.
Bob
Are you accepting Creedmoor barrels for the tomato garden Bob?
And don’t forget this “new” long range cartridge from my 1972 Sierra reloading manual:
1972, let me do the math. 50 years, outdated I'm sure the millennials have a better version and it doesn't even kick but the ballistics are amazing.
"Where men are men and sheep are nervous?"
Not us mate. Wrong Island. There's a few rumours about but I'm not gonna add to them.

@Forrest Halley
The quick release flap is in the back of the pants mate ,kiwis have it on tuther side fer da sheep.
Bob

Yes, yes. I've heard all that but still I don't have one. I Betta get one cause some you whipper snapper told me online it will out do any of my geriatric .30's
I have those and a penchant for 7mm's

It's the nonsense the new shooters come out with that sh1ts me

Are you accepting Creedmoor barrels for the tomato garden Bob?

1972, let me do the math. 50 years, outdated I'm sure the millennials have a better version and it doesn't even kick but the ballistics are amazing.

Not us mate. Wrong Island. There's a few rumours about but I'm not gonna add to them.
@CBH Australia
Manbun barrels get rechambered to the sweede mate just as useful. 243 barrels can't be rechambered so make great tomatoe stakes.
Bob

And don’t forget this “new” long range cartridge from my 1972 Sierra reloading manual:
@CoElkHunter
Don't forget the 6.5 Barnes QT designed to throw a 200gn 6.5 at 2,800fps now that's some serious bc and sd.
By they way the QT stands for quick twist.
Bob

I'm looking forward to the show when the 7PRC makes it on the shelves.
Oh, I can't wait! The 6.5s will go the way of the WSSMs and SAUMs. Iphone 14s and 7PRCs will rule the day for the millenials until the next "big" thing comes along. LOL

Oh, I can't wait! The 6.5s will go the way of the WSSMs and SAUMs. Iphone 14s and 7PRCs will rule the day for the millenials until the next "big" thing comes along. LOL
Personal I'm looking forward to it, I think it will have better barrel life than my 7wsm it can't have any worse brass. It shit the bed on me at 1300 rounds. The barrel looked like a dried creek bed and could no longer hold .75MOA. It was shooting sub .25. I was only shooting 162 and 168 out of it, that's what it seemed to like at the time. I'm not young by any means, that said technology is not always a bad thing.

Personal I'm looking forward to it, I think it will have better barrel life than my 7wsm it can't have any worse brass. It shit the bed on me at 1300 rounds. The barrel looked like a dried creek bed and could no longer hold .75MOA. It was shooting sub .25. I was only shooting 162 and 168 out of it, that's what it seemed to like at the time. I'm not young by any means, that said technology is not always a bad thing.
Would cryogenically "hardened" barrels help resolve the limited barrel life with higher velocity "over bored" cartridges? Seems the technology is available to mitigate this issue?

Would cryogenically "hardened" barrels help resolve the limited barrel life with higher velocity "over bored" cartridges? Seems the technology is available to mitigate this issue?
Not sure it would make a big difference, barrels are like race car tires, when they start going bald change them. It was a match gun for a little while, I say little while. When you burn through 200rds a weekend shooting comps and practicing in-between. It doesn't take long. That barrel was gone in 4 months. When I was running a 6CM I went through 3 barrels in 1 season. When shooting 10-12 rds in a 90 sec time frame, it is hard on a barrel.

Not sure it would make a big difference, barrels are like race car tires, when they start going bald change them. It was a match gun for a little while, I say little while. When you burn through 200rds a weekend shooting comps and practicing in-between. It doesn't take long. That barrel was gone in 4 months. When I was running a 6CM I went through 3 barrels in 1 season. When shooting 10-12 rds in a 90 sec time frame, it is hard on a barrel.
That's amazing really. I would think copper jacketed bullets on hardened steel or titanium barrel grooves and lands wouldn't stand a chance for the wearing out of barrels in such a short period of time? Shows what I know, not much. LOL

That's amazing really. I would think copper jacketed bullets on hardened steel or titanium barrel grooves and lands wouldn't stand a chance for the wearing out of barrels in such a short period of time? Shows what I know, not much. LOL
It's not the bullet that damages the the barrel, the throat gets torched. That's why over bore cartridges are so much harder on the barrels. Lots of heat and pressure cause erosion, that's the killer of barrels. In short story.

We could have a very lengthy discussion on powder burn rate, slow vs fast and how that plays into it along with shot string, temp of the barrel at start, cleaning carbon out of the throat... the list of contributing factors can be long. Then you also have to take into account, the barrel manufacturer may have problems with the steel in that lot. Have had that happen before too.

@Inline6
That will do it every time.

We could have a very lengthy discussion on powder burn rate, slow vs fast and how that plays into it along with shot string, temp of the barrel at start, cleaning carbon out of the throat... the list of contributing factors can be long. Then you also have to take into account, the barrel manufacturer may have problems with the steel in that lot. Have had that happen before too.
I am not sure why, given modern sintering technology, that someone hasn't built a barrel sleeve in the correct configuration made of tungsten carbide. I mean the barrel would be stupidly expensive, but would last almost indefinitely if the sleeve was brazed into the bore of a chrome moly tube. Future investment idea anyone?

Oh, I can't wait! The 6.5s will go the way of the WSSMs and SAUMs
I’m not so sure?? Look at the popularity of the 6.5X55 & the popularity isn’t declining rightfully so, it’s a very useful ctg. No I don’t think the 6.5s are going away. My niece has taken two elk one shot kills with the 6.5 Creedmoor & a friend has taken a number of elk with the 6.5-06, the 6.5X55 is very popular in a lot of countries.
. Iphone 14s and 7PRCs will rule the day for the millenials until the next "big" thing comes along. LOL

I am not sure why, given modern sintering technology, that someone hasn't built a barrel sleeve in the correct configuration made of tungsten carbide. I mean the barrel would be stupidly expensive, but would last almost indefinitely if the sleeve was brazed into the bore of a chrome moly tube. Future investment idea anyone?
Cost, most people don't burn barrels out. It is mainly comp shooter that do and as a percentage that is a small number. I'm not sure how that material would react to heat and pressure it might be to brittle, that is above my knowledge base.

$350.00 have a new blank, can have it in a lathe and ready to go in 3-4 hours all in. It is a small expense compared to what shooting a comp cost.

Not an expert but have used enough carbide tooling to stick my neck out a little. Carbide is very brittle, it does not like shock loads at all. I really don’t think it would survive the chamber pressure without shattering. The only thing harder is diamond.
After it is sintered and it can only be ground to change its size or shape.
I would also think that due to it’s hardness, the bullets hitting the lands on firing would break them as well.
I could also see dropping or even falling over could break the carbide.
Excessive weight could be another disadvantage as carbide is quite dense and thus heavy.
I personally will stick with good old steel or stainless steel. Throw a nitride coating in the bore and call it a day myself.
Fire away!:P Gangster:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!