Can Elephant from any Country be Imported to the United States?

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
There are rumors that any sport hunted elephant trophies will not be allowed into the U.S.. I don't have any concrete information as to whether this will truly be the case, or not.

What I do know is that the USFWS page that until recently listed the countries where elephant could be imported from is now totally blank. Any hunter who doesn't want to hunt an elephant that cannot be imported should be very aware of the potential risk, regardless of country of origin. Any hunter who just wants to hunt should enjoy every second of the experience!

https://www.fws.gov/international/Permits/by-activity/sport-hunted-trophies-elephants.html

South Africa and Namibia only ones currently allowed. The do not have a ban on these at the moment. They just not processing applications . This is currently where we are on this.

Guess the PC way to go about it. No direct ban but not processing permits comes down to just that. There are no word yet on when they will resume processing.

Exactly my point Richard - call it whatever you want, there is currently no guarantee that you will be able to import ivory from any country at this point....

Last edited:
Sad and frustrating.

Is there anything we can do to revoke this..? Let us say that if a substantial part of the trophy fee was earmarked for anti-poaching work, would that be an argument to promote hunting as conservation..aka the CAMPFIRE project in Zim..?

Or lets say we payed a fixed tax amount for anti-poaching...lets say USD 1000, in addition to the trophy fee, to trophy hunt elephant..?

This would of course apply to all hunters, not just the americans..

My 2 cents..

Ok anyone hear anything from SCI or DSC on this?

Is there anything we can do to revoke this..? Let us say that if a substantial part of the trophy fee was earmarked for anti-poaching work, would that be an argument to promote hunting as conservation..aka the CAMPFIRE project in Zim..?

Or lets say we payed a fixed tax amount for anti-poaching...lets say USD 1000, in addition to the trophy fee, to trophy hunt elephant..?

This would of course apply to all hunters, not just the americans..

My 2 cents..

I think that's a great idea. Here is the bigger issue as I see it around this though. It will have to be proven that the money goes where it is supposed to, which can be done, but will take time. And there is one other thing. Has anyone read a single quote from any high ranking official, much less a President, within any of the countries that have elephant? Didn't think so.... Trump is involved, like it or not. From my view, none of the actual Governments in which the elephants reside really care what the U.S. does. If they did, they'd make a statement condemning what the U.S has done, and explaining to the world why not following CITES is wrong. Yet, all we hear is crickets....

Ok anyone hear anything from SCI or DSC on this?

Nothing to say... A website is under further review....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg