Can a Double be very Far in the Future?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Years ago I started shooting, lining up the front bead in the rear notch and setting the front bead at six o'clock on the target. this system gave-way to changing out the rear notch for an aperture and the bead for a flat post. With technology the irons gave-way to metal tubes with glass and reticles, but the common feature was that all these involved rifled barrels and bullets measured in thousands of an inch or millimeters.
As my outdoors activities increased shotguns were added to the list. Following my rifle experience of looking down a single barrel, the same mindset was used in shotgun selection. The purchase was an Over-Under and many squirrels, upland and migratory birds fell to it. I seemed perfectly happy with the single sight-plane arrangement.
Then I met a Winchester Model 21, followed by a Parker DHE. Suddenly, the O/U found itself sitting in the safe as a SxS accompanied me whenever I was going to the range or field. With the availability of Non-Tox shot suitable for migratory birds and old shotgun barrels, if I go goose hunting, I'll be using a SxS.

So with the rapid transformation of decades of use of single plane shotguns over to the SxS double, I can only wonder: how long will it be before the bolt action rifles are left in the safe and I'll be carrying a SxS rifle while stalking big game in either the local woods or far away places?

Buy a nice double and don't look back. I took a 9.3x74 and 450NE doubles on my last safari.

Years ago I started shooting, lining up the front bead in the rear notch and setting the front bead at six o'clock on the target. this system gave-way to changing out the rear notch for an aperture and the bead for a flat post. With technology the irons gave-way to metal tubes with glass and reticles, but the common feature was that all these involved rifled barrels and bullets measured in thousands of an inch or millimeters.
As my outdoors activities increased shotguns were added to the list. Following my rifle experience of looking down a single barrel, the same mindset was used in shotgun selection. The purchase was an Over-Under and many squirrels, upland and migratory birds fell to it. I seemed perfectly happy with the single sight-plane arrangement.
Then I met a Winchester Model 21, followed by a Parker DHE. Suddenly, the O/U found itself sitting in the safe as a SxS accompanied me whenever I was going to the range or field. With the availability of Non-Tox shot suitable for migratory birds and old shotgun barrels, if I go goose hunting, I'll be using a SxS.

So with the rapid transformation of decades of use of single plane shotguns over to the SxS double, I can only wonder: how long will it be before the bolt action rifles are left in the safe and I'll be carrying a SxS rifle while stalking big game in either the local woods or far away places?
I'm not at your level, but I understand exactly what you are saying!!!

There is just something extraordinary about shooting a double rifle! Get one now!

I don't think it's going to be any time soon. Even with CNC machining and modern materials it still take substantially longer to make a double than a assembly line bolt action. Thus increasing cost greatly

But here's hoping!

Ray B,

Doubtless, you will end up with a double rifle, one of these days.
"There is nothing quite like a well made double".
One significant memory / mile stone in my life will always be when I took an old boar warthog at 150 yds, with a well placed shot from my first double rifle.
I'm convinced that the best heroin (or name any chemical / drug) ever concocted, could deliver a "high" even close to hunting warthog with your double rifle, not even close.

This was during my 2nd hunting trip to Africa (across a grassy opening in the thorn forest, Limpopo District, South Africa).
There were several of them, milling about / slowly grazing this way and that so, the PH had set the sticks, anticipating there might be at least one mature boar, somewhere in the sounder.
Indeed, suddenly a large boar walked up out of concealment, (a dry pond), and stood for a moment, quartering toward me.
Already settled, pointed-in and relaxed for a couple minutes by then, I shot him squarely on his left shoulder and when I recovered from what moderate recoil there is with a 10.4 pound .375 H&H / 300 gr Hornady Round Nose Soft @ "only" 2400 fps, I could only see what turned out to be all four of his hooves, just above the grass, pointed straight up at the sky (and the others bolting in all directions, like politicians from bright light).

Said rifle was my first double (not counting several SxS shotguns, well prior to my Africa "problem").
It was a Merkel SxS that, I had bought brand new as a retirement gift to myself, upon leaving my former profession, after 28 years of tending to, huge, stupid / mean spirited babies (AKA - "criminals").

Since then, I have sold that one and have formerly owned, an Army & Navy, Pre War .450 No2 NE with which I bagged the buffalo in my avatar (another milestone / indescribably euphoric experience) plus, some "plains game" with it as well, during my 4th journey to Africa.
Likewise, I have sold that one and now own a Heym 88B in .458 Winchester, with fancy wood.
For about a year or so, I also had owned a plain grade but very cute little Henry Adkin SxS, in ".275 Flanged NE".

I've not yet hunted with the .458 and I never did hunt with the .275R.
At any rate, I loved each one of these and do wish I could afford to own more than my meager "one double rifle in my toy box at a time" status.
However, I totally acknowledge that I am well blessed to have owned the ones mentioned and to have been able to hunt multiple animals in Africa with two of these.

The point of my above rambling post (finally !) is that, when you bring home your first double rifle, you will be so proud and jubilant that, you'll want to hand out cigars.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

PS: Mr. Donlad Trump was sworn in today as President of The USA so, Happy Nobama Day to the entire world.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.