"Camels are easy to kill"

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by bruce moulds, Oct 15, 2018.

1. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

recently reading statements like "camels are easy to kill, but don't know when they are dead".
    initially this statement went in one ear and out the other, but on further thought it is 2 opposing statements.
    i am not having a go at those who have stated this, but cannot agree.
    i have shot camels with a 7mmstw, and it kills well with precise bullet placement, and barnes bullets.
    precise bullet placement in this case means hitting the spinefrom the shoulders and forward .
    instant death.
    the 9.3x64 and the 375 h&h cause instantaneous death with any reasonable chest shot out to 300 yds, and of course spine as well.
    less than perfect shots with the latter two rounds will knock a camel down instantly, and it will die quickly.
    bullet choice seems to be an important part of the equation, the other part being bullet placement.
    add to that calibre.
    the camel is an oddly shaped animal, its chest being a little to the rear and lower than most animals, due to the spine dipping lower where the neck joins the body.
    this requires a change in mindset as to bullet placement - lower is better compared to deer etc.
    for frontal shots it is an advantage, as a bullet intended for the heart will often break the spine if it goes a little high.
    i have been left with the impression that one shooter feels that the 9.3x62 is less than optimum for camels.
    i find this hard to believe, when the 9.3x64 is so emphatic a killer.
    again, bullet choice or bullet placement?
    whatever the case, we owe the animals we hunt the quickest death possible.
    just because they are feral does not mean they need to suffer any more than trophy species.
    if they were carniverous or herbiverous and agressive, we might be more inclined to attempt their instanteous destruction.
    bruce.

ZG47, Von S. and Ridgewalker like this.

2. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Just curious, is camel meat worth eating?

3. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

not the big smelly bulls, but young heifers are considerd excellent.
    camel backstrap is considered a delicacy by some.
    bruce.

Dr Ray likes this.

4. BenKK

BenKK AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hey, Bruce, good points, and similarly I always have a quiet giggle when I read how tough buffalo are, and how much lead they can carry. When the initial shot is bad / inadequate they suddenly become really tough. Any tough buffalo I meet is absolutely my fault.

5. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    I have heard that some people actually prefer camel meat to beef
    I would like to try some but cannot get away atm
    I don’t fancy hunting camels in the Australian summer either and in the cooler months I prefer to go deer hunting
    Oh dear (deer) such is life!

6. bushy

bushy AH Member

I have eaten camel on 6 occasions and find it to be very nice, bit leaner than beef though so take that into account if cooking as steaks.

7. blacks

blacks AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
    I think you've misunderstood the intent of the original statement. I believe the reference meant 'you don't need a hugely powerful cartridge to kill a camel, but even with good shots they can take a while to die.'
    I think this is a fair statement and I think it possibly has something to do with the distance from the heart to the brain.

But anyway, personally I think anything from a 733/30 cal magnum upwards is a good choice. The .350 Rem Mag certainly did the job on the bulls I've hunted. Ben is spot on; on any large animal placing the first shot correctly is absolutely critical. And it's not bad on the tooth, either.

Cheers
    blacks

P1000273.JPG

BenKK likes this.

8. leslie hetrick

leslie hetrick AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    several sporting clubs
    Hunted:
    several
    if I had a rifle at the kiddy zoo I would have shot the camel that spit on me and the monkeys who threw shit at me.

9. Dwight Beagle

Dwight Beagle AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    US, Mexico and Argentina
    I know nothing about hunting camels but have always assumed they were easy to kill since a straw will break their back.

sgt_zim, Certus, Tom Leoni and 5 others like this.