"Camels are easy to kill"

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
recently reading statements like "camels are easy to kill, but don't know when they are dead".
initially this statement went in one ear and out the other, but on further thought it is 2 opposing statements.
i am not having a go at those who have stated this, but cannot agree.
i have shot camels with a 7mmstw, and it kills well with precise bullet placement, and barnes bullets.
precise bullet placement in this case means hitting the spinefrom the shoulders and forward .
instant death.
the 9.3x64 and the 375 h&h cause instantaneous death with any reasonable chest shot out to 300 yds, and of course spine as well.
less than perfect shots with the latter two rounds will knock a camel down instantly, and it will die quickly.
bullet choice seems to be an important part of the equation, the other part being bullet placement.
add to that calibre.
the camel is an oddly shaped animal, its chest being a little to the rear and lower than most animals, due to the spine dipping lower where the neck joins the body.
this requires a change in mindset as to bullet placement - lower is better compared to deer etc.
for frontal shots it is an advantage, as a bullet intended for the heart will often break the spine if it goes a little high.
i have been left with the impression that one shooter feels that the 9.3x62 is less than optimum for camels.
i find this hard to believe, when the 9.3x64 is so emphatic a killer.
again, bullet choice or bullet placement?
whatever the case, we owe the animals we hunt the quickest death possible.
just because they are feral does not mean they need to suffer any more than trophy species.
if they were carniverous or herbiverous and agressive, we might be more inclined to attempt their instanteous destruction.
bruce.

I have heard that some people actually prefer camel meat to beef
I would like to try some but cannot get away atm
I don’t fancy hunting camels in the Australian summer either and in the cooler months I prefer to go deer hunting
Oh dear (deer) such is life!

I have eaten camel on 6 occasions and find it to be very nice, bit leaner than beef though so take that into account if cooking as steaks.

I think you've misunderstood the intent of the original statement. I believe the reference meant 'you don't need a hugely powerful cartridge to kill a camel, but even with good shots they can take a while to die.'
I think this is a fair statement and I think it possibly has something to do with the distance from the heart to the brain.

But anyway, personally I think anything from a 733/30 cal magnum upwards is a good choice. The .350 Rem Mag certainly did the job on the bulls I've hunted. Ben is spot on; on any large animal placing the first shot correctly is absolutely critical. And it's not bad on the tooth, either.

Cheers
blacks

P1000273.JPG

Just curious, is camel meat worth eating?
Shootist43
I haven't shot camel YET but I can assure you that the meat is beautiful. We have a butcher shop not far from home that specializes in game meat and my son wanted to try some, bloody delicious mate.
Bob.

Shootist43
I haven't shot camel YET but I can assure you that the meat is beautiful. We have a butcher shop not far from home that specializes in game meat and my son wanted to try some, bloody delicious mate.
Bob.

It’s a case of
Wait for it

One hump or two

It’s a case of
Wait for it

One hump or two

Terrible joke Ray.

I tried Camel jerky when I was in Alice Springs. That was a bit dry and failed to impress.

I believe the fresh stuff might be better. I know a bloke who plans to hunt one for meat but not sure when.

bob,
put some 250 swifts in that whelen and hit the frog and toad with your son.
better get him a bigger gun before he goes or you will get them all.
bruce.
Bigger the swifts mate I'll just go for the 250 or bigger Woodleigh.
Bob

I have personally dispatched 4 camels , with my " Old Belgian " ... till now . I always use my hand loaded Eley Alphamax magnum 3 inch " High Brass " spherical ball cartridges . When shot in the side of the head , or in the back of the neck ... They expire , instantly.

Camel meat is excellent , and ( From a culinary stand point ) makes for extremely good eating . I serve it in my restaurant branches , once every year ... As a limited time offering ( During the Muslim celebration of Eid Ul Fitr ) . We cook it , either as a steak ... Or as a kebab .

Unlike many of the leaner beef cuts , how ever ( Such as Filet Mignon , Sir Loin , Rump Cap or Flat Iron ) ... Camel meat needs to be roasted / grilled / seared to a medium doneness ( As opposed to rare ) in order to break down all of the intra muscular fat . Camel meat also lends itself to marinades ... Very well .

I think you've misunderstood the intent of the original statement. I believe the reference meant 'you don't need a hugely powerful cartridge to kill a camel, but even with good shots they can take a while to die.'
I think this is a fair statement and I think it possibly has something to do with the distance from the heart to the brain.

But anyway, personally I think anything from a 733/30 cal magnum upwards is a good choice. The .350 Rem Mag certainly did the job on the bulls I've hunted. Ben is spot on; on any large animal placing the first shot correctly is absolutely critical. And it's not bad on the tooth, either.

Cheers
blacks

View attachment 253667

I think you both agree, it's shot placement.

An old thread but interesting, and I still haven't hunted a Camel or eaten it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross