Butt Shell Carrier

CBeck

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Suffering from Noassatall disease I try to keep my pants and belt as light as possible.

Being a picky SOB I couldn’t find a shell carrier that I liked.….Don‘t like the laces securing most leather models…looks sloppy. Don’t like leather shell loops on most, worried they would stretch. Don‘t like the elastic ones on a wood stocked rifle….etc. etc.

So, making knives and sheaths and having leather to play with, I figured why not make my own cutom fit to my stock.

How do you like to carry your extra ammo?

8B47FEAD-4BBD-4068-9501-D7852B1D949E.jpeg
5DBBEED8-2672-4044-8977-63D236F6BC94.jpeg

That Sir is rather nice if you dont mind me saying!!!
As for extra ammo I use a 20 round culling belt for the smaller stuff and I have just got a Trade Keith 6 round belt carrier for the 500 Jeff. I might also have a few rounds in my pockets held together with elastic bands so they dont rattle.

Very nice work!

I'm not a fan of stock mounted cartridge carriers, especially for the longer cartridges. However I do appreciate fine leather work. Very nice work, congrats.

As I get older, I also find my self developing Noassatall disease, which can be a problem given the amount of belt mounted stuff I carry. Have you thought of trying a Sam Browne arrangement or even leather suspenders attached to the belt?

Looks great. I too have looked for something like this and not found what I wanted. Emails to a couple leather workers on etsy yielded no responses, maybe they don't need the money, so I'm going to try my hand at something like it.

Suffering from Noassatall disease I try to keep my pants and belt as light as possible.

Being a picky SOB I couldn’t find a shell carrier that I liked.….Don‘t like the laces securing most leather models…looks sloppy. Don’t like leather shell loops on most, worried they would stretch. Don‘t like the elastic ones on a wood stocked rifle….etc. etc.

So, making knives and sheaths and having leather to play with, I figured why not make my own cutom fit to my stock.

View attachment 447381View attachment 447382
Nice!!!!!

Nice!!!

Looks great. I too have looked for something like this and not found what I wanted. Emails to a couple leather workers on etsy yielded no responses, maybe they don't need the money, so I'm going to try my hand at something like it.
It is really quite an easy project that can can be completed for probably around $30 give or take.

I would be glad to walk you through it step-by-step if you have a desire I will make some additional posts on how I did it.

I'm not a fan of stock mounted cartridge carriers, especially for the longer cartridges. However I do appreciate fine leather work. Very nice work, congrats.

As I get older, I also find my self developing Noassatall disease, which can be a problem given the amount of belt mounted stuff I carry. Have you thought of trying a Sam Browne arrangement or even leather suspenders attached to the belt?

I too like fine leather work and how it gets a patina much like a vintage rifle.

I had not really considered a belt with means of suspension.

I love the look of a leather belt with cartridge loops and essential items but I do not love stopping every 30 seconds to pull my pants up.

I had considered a wide cotton canvas belt possibly staying up better.

I will do some more investigation into a belt with some sort of suspension system. Thank you for the suggestion

As it is now I typically only carry my knife on my belt usually on a leather dangler.

E23FBCDC-3B6D-4897-A2F5-5C810B929FB8.jpeg

That looks AWESOME CBeck! LOVE it.

I finally settled on this one years ago. It's inexpensive, and I think it looks nice on my levers. It has leather and canvas, with neoprene on the underside to keep it from sliding around. I can usually get several seasons out of one before the elastic starts to go.

P1010881.JPG

It is really quite an easy project that can can be completed for probably around $30 give or take.

I would be glad to walk you through it step-by-step if you have a desire I will make some additional posts on how I did it.

Sounds good. I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

If hunting with my .375, I use a Murray leather belt. It is worn like a western gun belt just below the regular pants belt. I have had no issues with it staying where it is supposed to stay.

Blaser R8 w/Classic Sporter stock

If hunting plains game or in North America, I have a number of well made slide holders, but never seem to use them. I load up the magazine and put another four rounds in my right side pants pocket. Works perfectly.

I absolutely loathe butt stock ammunition holders - however well made. ;)

That is one good looking carrier. I would love one like that, with maybe a stretch or knit canvas for the cartridge loops. I am one who uses a buttstock carrier on most of my rifles. Not so much for a quicker top off in the field, but more so keeping rounds with the rifle after I unload it while at camp, taking lunch, etc. Its nice when you know you have teh ammo right on teh gun at all times, and then a few more in your bag of pocket.

The only issue with the butt shell holders is when the weather is nasty. I no longer use them here after I hunted in a snow/sleet mix and ice formed around the cartridges. It doesn't harm the cartridges except the brass gets tarnished. I keep an extra magazine for my Browning A Bolt in my cargo pants pocket. But in fair weather they are handy.

If hunting with my .375, I use a Murray leather belt. It is worn like a western gun belt just below the regular pants belt. I have had no issues with it staying where it is supposed to stay.

Blaser R8 w/Classic Sporter stock

If hunting plains game or in North America, I have a number of well made slide holders, but never seem to use them. I load up the magazine and put another four rounds in my right side pants pocket. Works perfectly.

I absolutely loathe butt stock ammunition holders - however well made. ;)
loathe is mighty strong feelings about an ammo carrier….. I’m sensing one may have broken you’re heart.

kidding aside, why the strong disdain?

That is one good looking carrier. I would love one like that, with maybe a stretch or knit canvas for the cartridge loops. I am one who uses a buttstock carrier on most of my rifles. Not so much for a quicker top off in the field, but more so keeping rounds with the rifle after I unload it while at camp, taking lunch, etc. Its nice when you know you have teh ammo right on teh gun at all times, and then a few more in your bag of pocket.
Funny you should say that….I actually bought some khaki stretch to use but then I got lazy and altered an Allen holder and used it Instead. Lol

The only issue with the butt shell holders is when the weather is nasty. I no longer use them here after I hunted in a snow/sleet mix and ice formed around the cartridges. It doesn't harm the cartridges except the brass gets tarnished. I keep an extra magazine for my Browning A Bolt in my cargo pants pocket. But in fair weather they are handy.
well….living in the sunny south US, that’s not even a consideration. I think I had snow 22 years ago. Lol

loathe is mighty strong feelings about an ammo carrier….. I’m sensing one may have broken you’re heart.

kidding aside, why the strong disdain?
They change the balance of the rifle. That doesn't matter if shooting from an elbow supported rest at the bench or perhaps over a pack in the field. It can matter a lot if it changes the aiming dynamics of a familiar rifle if using sticks, hasty sling, or hasty rest.

It becomes one more thing to snag in the brush.

Finally - they look truly awful. Even the tastefully tailored ones. :E Angel:

For Africa, they seem to fall into the same category as zebra hatbands. One rarely sees an experienced African hunter cluttering his hat with one or his rifle with other. :A Way To Go:

They change the balance of the rifle. That doesn't matter if shooting from an elbow supported rest at the bench or perhaps over a pack in the field. It can matter a lot if it changes the aiming dynamics of a familiar rifle if using sticks, hasty sling, or hasty rest.

It becomes one more thing to snag in the brush.

Finally - they look truly awful. Even the tastefully tailored ones. :E Angel:

For Africa, they seem to fall into the same category as zebra hatbands. One rarely sees an experienced African hunter cluttering his hat with one or his rifle with other. :A Way To Go:
LOL….I believe my favorite thing about this forum is the members ability tell it like it is without being a complete ass about it.

All good points worthy of consideration. But, I will say, I’ve combed through almost every game photo on this site and I would say 30% or there about have a butt shell holder on the rifle. At least now I know how to spot the uninitiated. As for myself…I’ve never been much of a follower….now, where did I put that zebra hat band

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross