Bullets for doubles

norfolk shooter

AH legend
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
2,124
Reaction score
3,533
Location
Norfolk, UK
Media
22
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo, Eastern Cape
Gents! Is it safe to use banded bullets such as the barnes in a modern double? Also can you go 10 grns heavier than the regulated bullet? I guess you can if you can push that bullet fast enough.

Thanks chaps
 
Must be, I have been shooting 300 grain Barnes, North Forks, Woodleighs, Hornadys, etc in my .405 WCF with good results.
Is there something in particular that concerns you about the Barnes?

10 grains bullet weight? I also shoot 400 grain Woodleighs and Hornadys in my .405.

Of course I hand load all 300 and 400 grain ammo, except some 300 grain Hornady at 2225 fps with which the rifle was regulated.
 
I shoot the 570gr Peregrines which are basically replicas of the Barnes Banded Solid. No problems at all and nothing tomworry about.
What aspect of the banded solid is it that concerns you?
 
I’ve read in this section somewhere that the banded bullets cause excessive barrel strain. I thought it would the opposite as there is less bearing surface
 
I’ve read in this section somewhere that the banded bullets cause excessive barrel strain. I thought it would the opposite as there is less bearing surface

Well, certainly can't see that being true on the Copper solids. The solids that I shoot out of my double are brass, which is harder than the pure Copper Solids. I prefer to shoot the harder metal for a bullet that I rely on to penetrate straight, and not deform when I need it most. In my mind, that is the harder material.
 
That’s what I thought. I just don’t want to damage a nice double by using the wrong bullets
 
Has your double turned up?

Yep I haven’t got round to getting photos up on the forum or shoot it for that matter
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,295
Messages
1,571,975
Members
169,470
Latest member
BrennaY190
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top