Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Gents! Is it safe to use banded bullets such as the barnes in a modern double? Also can you go 10 grns heavier than the regulated bullet? I guess you can if you can push that bullet fast enough.

Thanks chaps

Must be, I have been shooting 300 grain Barnes, North Forks, Woodleighs, Hornadys, etc in my .405 WCF with good results.
Is there something in particular that concerns you about the Barnes?

10 grains bullet weight? I also shoot 400 grain Woodleighs and Hornadys in my .405.

Of course I hand load all 300 and 400 grain ammo, except some 300 grain Hornady at 2225 fps with which the rifle was regulated.

I shoot the 570gr Peregrines which are basically replicas of the Barnes Banded Solid. No problems at all and nothing tomworry about.
What aspect of the banded solid is it that concerns you?

I’ve read in this section somewhere that the banded bullets cause excessive barrel strain. I thought it would the opposite as there is less bearing surface

I’ve read in this section somewhere that the banded bullets cause excessive barrel strain. I thought it would the opposite as there is less bearing surface

Well, certainly can't see that being true on the Copper solids. The solids that I shoot out of my double are brass, which is harder than the pure Copper Solids. I prefer to shoot the harder metal for a bullet that I rely on to penetrate straight, and not deform when I need it most. In my mind, that is the harder material.

That’s what I thought. I just don’t want to damage a nice double by using the wrong bullets

Has your double turned up?

Yep I haven’t got round to getting photos up on the forum or shoot it for that matter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.