Lifetime bronze benefactor
Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Quick question please...I am hunting a Cape Buffalo in April 2021. I have my 375 which I know is enough gun but my ammunition is Barnes Vortex in 375 H&H in 300 grain TSX FB. Will this be okay? I have heard I need solids for Buffalo. Appreciate the help!!!

Quick question please...I am hunting a Cape Buffalo in April 2021. I have my 375 which I know is enough gun but my ammunition is Barnes Vortex in 375 H&H in 300 grain TSX FB. Will this be okay? I have heard I need solids for Buffalo. Appreciate the help!!!
Excellent choice. You will be fine, and I now never use solids on buffalo. A magazine of A Frames or TSX and you are well armed for the task at hand. As @gillettehunter says, put the first one exactly where it needs to go.

I am hunting buffalo in June 2021 (Coronavirus willing) and planning to use my .416 Rigby. My PH advised against Barnes Vortex, especially for follow-up shots, citing bad experience with the round on buff. He recommended Swift A-frames or Woodleighs, then solids for follow-up shots if needed. You may hear differently from your PH. I've had great luck with Barnes Vortex out of my .270 Win for whitetail and smaller plains game.

First shot, of course, is very important as it will most likely be the only "perfect" shot you will have. However, then the angle of the shot changes for follow-up shots so I would recommend solids to traverse through the body to get to the vitals.

And in my view follow-up shots are always needed. In a lot of cases the animals do not know they are dead and that goes double for buffalo. ;)

I have primarily used a 416 Rem Mag.Swift A-Frame for the first with two solids to follow. I like the solid for a going away shot and the possibility of running into an elephant.

Took the buff in my avatar with a 375 H&H 300gr A-Frame... 1 round in the right place.. he went about 20 yards and was done..

I also shoot A LOT of TSX and TTSX and pretty much shoot those in my 375 and 416 exclusively now, and have complete confidence in the barnes projectile(s)...

Either the 300gr A-Frame or TSX will be perfect medicine for your buff as long as you do your part..

No need for solids. Any kind of premium expandable 300 Grain is all you need. Always had success with A Frames

I killed the buffalo in my avatar with 300 grain tsx from a 375 H&H. First shot was found under the skin of the opposite shoulder perfectly mushroomed. I have him a Texas heart shot as he was going away but it was not needed. I still have the recovered bullet and it is displayed on the pedestal of the buffalo mount. I have since moved on to a 404 but I have every confidence in the 375 and 300 grain tsx.

If the Barnes TSX shoots well in your rifle, stick with it.
I'd recommend talking to your PH about taking solids.
Most PH's are currently recommending premium softs for clients, no solids needed.

Good luck on your hunt.

416 Cal. 400 gr Swift A Frame taken from Cape Buffalo. Full frontal shot. Bullet was found near the rear end of the Buffalo.

375 HH 300 TSX? Yes, in right place, as with any bullet

Thanks so much everyone!!! Respect your expertise so much! Lol! Everyone says after your first hunt in Africa you will come back...I thought after my first awesome hunt there I would not but I already booked a DG hunt after my first PG hunt just a year later. It truly gets into your blood!!!

Why all of the "no need for solids" sentiment? Realizing the expandable technology is great, it would seem they still have a place in the field?

Why all of the "no need for solids" sentiment? Realizing the expandable technology is great, it would seem they still have a place in the field?
I would rather hit a buffalo with a second premium SP than a solid. If he is inbound, I particularly want to hit him with a premium SP (which is worst case for a second shot). In .375, either a TSX or A Frame does admirably. A buffalo I took in the Caprivi is illustrative. The bull was quartered sharply toward us with his front quarters slightly higher than his rear. The .300 gr TSX entered low just inside the shoulder, went through the top of the heart, between the lungs (and through all that plumbing), and ended up in the spine at the hips. He collapsed and never even let out a death bellow.

I now actually prefer the A Frame slightly (in my R8), but my Blaser S2 shoots the TSX phenomenally and is my choice with it.

I do use solids with my .375. They are superb for duiker, oribi, suni, and the like. Were I to hunt an elephant with a .375, I also would of course use a solid.

I’m an A-Frame guy myself, but I’ve talked to guys who swear by the Woodleigh hydro solid for their first shot. They claim it creates a wound channel more akin to a premium soft. Curious if others have seen this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg