channelkat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
Hello all! Lurking for a while now I am finally ready to take the plunge on a trip to Africa in 2022. Long been a dream to hunt Cape Buffalo. Gearing up now and am torn on a new scope for my .375H&H.

What are your thoughts and experiences with Trijicon’s consumer line of products? I am tempted to put a Credo HX on my .375, mainly because in 2022 I can find one, and I like that MOA circle style illuminated reticle. I have a lot more peace of mind in a brand like Leupold, but I hate the reticle they offer.

i have a 1-6x trijicon on my 450-400 with duplex crosshairs. really like it. also have several leupold vx 3' 1.5-5 which are great scopes, also like their vx5/6 with the fire dot.

don't get a busy scope, go with the KISS method.

Trijicon makes a great scope. I would have no concerns using one.

I have used a leupold VX6 1-6x on my last few buffalo hunts with good success.

My CZ 375 H&H has an old Leupold VX1 shotgun scope 1x4-20 on it. Took my buffalo at 60 yards just fine. I got a good deal on a Zeiss with the lighted reticle I think its a 1.25 - 4 /5. Not sure. It's on my 404J. Haven't used it hunting but love it at the range.

I have a trijicon 1-4x24 accupoint with German #4 recticle.
on my CZ550 416 Rigby, used it hunting cape buffalo in 2018, mounted with Talley QD rings. Very happy with it. Highly recommend it. For a little more magnification you may look at the 1-6x24. When I shot my buffalo it was at 75 yards but I never took my scope off of 1 power. The lighted dot on the reticle is a must have when shooting on a black target, be it cape buffalo, sable or black bear. IMHO

I was looking at the Trijicon Credo 1-8x28 as it is FFP. I went with the NightForce equivalent AtacR 1-8x24 instead.

Trijicon is a good scope, so if the NF was not available and on sale I would most likely would have gone with it.

I appreciate your insight Folks!

I was starting to lean toward that 1-8 x28 Trijicon, until I saw that NightForce Tanks brought up! That is a slick looking scope, I just hadn't come across it before. I plan on attending SCI (My first time) Is that somthing I might be able to get my hands on down there?

Does anybody REALLY ever use the qd feature? I couldn’t get myself to do it- maybe before my buff trip I’ll get some installed

I have a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 in a Contessa QD mount on my R8 375H&H. I really like the illumination of the scope. It could make a huge difference in locating the crosshairs on a Buffalo in the shadows.
1642126753023.png

Does anybody REALLY ever use the qd feature? I couldn’t get myself to do it- maybe before my buff trip I’ll get some installed
And yes, I use my QD feature every time I come home from the range to clean it. No reason to possibly be getting solvent on my lenses when I have this feature to take advantage of. Locks up like a bank vault and returns to zero every time.

I have a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 in a Contessa QD mount on my R8 375H&H. I really like the illumination of the scope. It could make a huge difference in locating the crosshairs on a Buffalo in the shadows.
View attachment 446443

And yes, I use my QD feature every time I come home from the range to clean it. No reason to possibly be getting solvent on my lenses when I have this feature to take advantage of. Locks up like a bank vault and returns to zero every time.
That Swarovski was another one that appealed to me. Obviously great glass and a simple reflexive reticle. I just knew I was never going to find one around me to look at.

That Swarovski was another one that appealed to me. Obviously great glass and a simple reflexive reticle. I just knew I was never going to find one around me to look at.
I looked though glass from Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, S&B, Kahles, Leupold...all at Euro Optic. If you are able to go to DSC or SCI the big brands will be there. Even at the smaller shows there are good vendors who have this type of stuff.

I looked though glass from Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, S&B, Kahles, Leupold...all at Euro Optic. If you are able to go to DSC or SCI the big brands will be there. Even at the smaller shows there are good vendors who have this type of stuff.
I was hoping to hear that. Thank you! Are the price pretty good at the shows? I'll be at SCI next week. God willing...

I was hoping to hear that. Thank you! Are the price pretty good at the shows? I'll be at SCI next week. God willing...
Make your house payment or buy a scope...pick your poison.

I’ve owned or tried most of the quality LPVO’s out there, and chose the Swaro Z6i 1-6 for DG. Great glass, great eyebox, love the amber dot on buffalo. The toggle switch allows you to quickly select a dim or bright dot after presetting the intensity, very useful.

I have used it. One time a buffalo hunt turned into an elephant hunt in the Kalahari thorn scrub. The scope would have been an impediment, I was glad to be rid of it. I’ve twice used it following wounded buffalo. One was mine, the other wasn’t.

I appreciate your insight Folks!

I was starting to lean toward that 1-8 x28 Trijicon, until I saw that NightForce Tanks brought up! That is a slick looking scope, I just hadn't come across it before. I plan on attending SCI (My first time) Is that somthing I might be able to get my hands on down there?
Euro Optic might have some. They are at booths 4323 and 4433

Euro Optic might have some. They are at booths 4323 and 4433
I know NightForce is top notch and that our Marine Corps snipers use them, but I was a POG and never had the chance to play with any... Will look for them at SCI. That seems to be about my ideal LPVO scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landboc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.