Buffalo rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Dawg2019, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I
    I took 'em for my .405 Winchester :D

2. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

look for 375 x 300 gn

3. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    No , man. Cutting Edge Monolithic meplat brass Solids for .375 :D

4. Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I’ve looked for 300 and 350 north forks and can’t seem to find any. I just started looking too late.

5. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Bruce Moulds , your words bring back many nostalgic memories of mine regarding the terminal effects of the old Winchester silver tip cartridge. While l am disappointed that this cartridge is no longer being made , you are correct in that it is from a bygone era . For the shot made from the side through the lungs of an animal , this was rivaled by nothing in our time. However , one could not always get into the side shooting position and if a shooter suddenly had to shoot the Gaur from the front , the Winchester silver tip was a pitiful bullet .
    I am very pleased that new bullets with a slower rate of expansion are available now . Loading a rifle magazine with soft nose bullets and hard nose bullets at the same time poses problems if one is negligent.
    As Hoss Delgado’s book will detail graphically , one of our coolies once was loading a client’s magnum .375 Winchester rifle and accidentally loaded a solid metal envelope bullet on the top and three Winchester silver tip bullets in the bottom , before we set out for a Gaur Shikar. It led to several members in our party getting severely injured and almost cost our client his life .

bruce moulds and WAB like this.

6. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    Sir, mr Rahman could you please give us more details on this event?
    Many thanks in advance!

Kawshik Rahman likes this.

7. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    I am afraid l promised Hoss Delgado to include the photographs and account of this story in his book , as it deals with fire arm ammunition selection in depth . Perhaps a personal message to you would suffice ?

8. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    I would not use or recommend Winchester silver tips for use on Cape Buffalo....especially in 375 H&H @ 2550 Fps...

9. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    I agree . A modern bullet with a slower rate of expansion is advisable for shooting buffaloes from all sides . However when l was a Shikari , it was only those bullets or solid metal envelope bullets which clients would bring and for lung shots from the side , they were most efficient.
    I share your views about velocity. I do not believe a cartridge for dangerous animals should have a higher velocity than 2400 feet per second based on my experience in the field with Gaur.

IvW likes this.

10. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Absolutely, yes! Thank you in advance!
    When the book is published, I will order certainly, so mr @Hoss Delgado does not have to worry! (y)

11. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    You guys will ruin me ! :(

12. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Keep me on the list for this book, and no worry!

Hoss Delgado likes this.

13. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Do not worry , Hoss Delgado . I will not show the picture . Only an account . Also l have kept 20 pictures separately just for your book

Hoss Delgado likes this.

14. Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Looking forward to that book Hoss! I don’t know if it will remove “Man Eaters of Tsavo” from the top of my list, but I know it will be good!

Kawshik Rahman and Hoss Delgado like this.

15. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It's a book about hunting in Different parts of the world : USA , UK , Africa , Sweden , Bangladesh , Kuch Bihar , South America and Australia :) . Also , l set out my experiences with EVERY rifle and Shotgun caliber l have EVER used :D . Finally , my interviews with the great professional Hunter , Mark Sullivan , the famous Elephant Culler , Terry Irwin and our very own , Sarge Kawshik Rahman :D . It's very picture heavy !

Wyatt Smith and Kawshik Rahman like this.

16. crs

crs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
    Hunted:
    RSA
    CEH and CBH,
    Thanks for the "likes" and noticing that not all on this forum need to be told how and what to shoot. I have friends that bought 416s , shot an ele, and then sold the rifle before their taxidermy was ready; now they mostly bird hunt.
    Like many, I do like guns but prefer hunting. Over the years, I have accumulated a small battery from .22 to .458 that can take any animal on the planet and see no need for another rifle to customize, sight in, reload, and test shoot. I just want to hunt with the ones I have.
    My first safari was with a Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag and it and the Win Ammo performed admirably. It also took a nice Colorado bull a few years ago. I do not need to repeat that though and gave the rifle to my son.

It is interesting to shoot different animals with different rifles; next week my son and I are hunting Pronghorn in the Texas Panhandle with our .308s. Previous speed goat hunts were with .264 Mag, 1895 .405. 1886 45-90. Similarly for hogs; Model 1892 .357 , M70 .308, .405 DR and 1895, .45-70 DR and 1886. Same game for Texas exotics where a DR is fun too:
    [​IMG]

PS I am not the only eccentric hunter around as my best hunting buddy will use his homemade flintlock on our pronghorn hunt. Like many others, he has been there-done that and hunts his own way for his own reasons. My son is taking his .308 rather than his 6.5 Creedmore tack driver target rifle - it is just the .308's turn in the field.

Good hunting!

Attached Files:

Hoss Delgado likes this.

17. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Hoss Delgado ,
    When you refer to Mark Sullivan , do you mean the gentleman with the mustache and the big double barrel rifles who makes dvds of his hunts ?

Hoss Delgado likes this.

18. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    That's the one ! :D Great guy

19. Kawshik Rahman

Video/Photo:
    Hoss , l am certain he is . However , please be a bit cautious in what you write about Mr. Sullivan . It would not be wise to encourage his practices , as great a hunter as he is .

IvW, Jaws, Red Leg and 1 other person like this.

20. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    :( I'm confused . He's a really cool hunter :D He gets into " Battles " with Buffalo and hippos :p