Buffalo rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Dawg2019, Sep 16, 2019.

1. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Red Leg,
    Yes, sometimes my facetiousness isn’t always apparent, but I call it as I see it when the ridiculousness rears it’s ignorant head. Bruce Moulds and Hoss Delgado seem to have me figured out. Anyway, I’ve never used/owned Silvertips. I’m sure they were/are fine on non DG. I’ve used Core Lokts in my .338 WM on elk and they have worked well. Would I use them in Africa for PG? I don’t know? Maybe I’ll start using Barnes TSXs which are now a little cheaper than the Core Lokts anyway. I do know one custom rifle builder/gunsmith/outfitter who doesn’t care for them on elk, AND won’t allow his clients to use a Remington 7mm mag on elk? He says both the above have penetration issues? Validity, or something ridiculous rearing it’s ignorant head? Don’t know?
    CEH

Red Leg likes this.

2. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I won’t sign a contract with anyone who tries to dictate firearm or bullet. I am confident that I have a better handle on those decisions than most. I have used the TSX extensively in Africa. Everything, from Oribi through buffalo was decisively dead.

I use the A Frame more these days, but the TSX is still an excellent bullet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    CoElkHunter likes this.

3. Nevada Mike

Nevada Mike AH Senior Member

Why do you think you must gave an "American" cartridge? Why not a proper DG cartridge like the .404 Jeffery or the .450 NE?

4. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Red Leg,
    I fully agree. This guy I mentioned seems to build very nice rifles, but I too disagree with his his prejudices with some calibers and/or bullet choices. He’s an acquaintance of my father in law, and has built a couple of rifles for him. Maybe he should concentrate on the rifles and not outfitting?
    CEH

WAB likes this.

5. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I don't really know how to put into words what I think about that video. The man is everything that people against hunting think that we are. It was painful to watch and in my opinion if that's the way he treats his quarry, he shouldn't be allowed to shoot them. Taking a life isn't a game, it's a very serious matter and he clearly has zero respect for the feelings of that buff. Maybe one day he'll push his luck too far and a buff will get a bit of sport from him! (n)

BeeMaa likes this.

6. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

hear hear njc.
    treats the animal with the dignity he has for himself.
    some of the clients often show or can be heard on his videos, and some of them think it is funny when they wound an animal.
    no wonder people like boris johnsons partner can get such traction.
    bruce.

CoElkHunter likes this.

7. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    It's what happens when people with the wrong mentality for the sport are allowed to hunt I suppose. The thing I hate is that even with video evidence like that, nothing is done about it. That's intentional cruelty which is a criminal offence I believe? The shooting community should do more to self regulate and stop this sort of activity. It's no good for us or the animals.

bruce moulds likes this.

8. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

the animals have no say in the matter.
    that is the bottom line and as such, we have a moral obligation.
    some of us also have pride, but not all.
    human nature can be at either end of the spectrum, but we have the choice.
    bruce.