Buffalo rifle

I missed that completely - sorry. Can I blame jet lag? We rolled in from a trip late last night.

My only hesitation with regard to the old Silvertips, like with any other cup and core, is they will occasionally separate. In most cases, deer and even elk for instance, it likely wouldn’t matter if it did. I certainly would not feel unarmed if using original 150 or 180 gr Silvertips from an ‘06 here in Texas - something of a classic combination. Like any cup and core, they would be pretty far down my list for use on a Cape buffalo from a .375.
Red Leg,
Yes, sometimes my facetiousness isn’t always apparent, but I call it as I see it when the ridiculousness rears it’s ignorant head. Bruce Moulds and Hoss Delgado seem to have me figured out. Anyway, I’ve never used/owned Silvertips. I’m sure they were/are fine on non DG. I’ve used Core Lokts in my .338 WM on elk and they have worked well. Would I use them in Africa for PG? I don’t know? Maybe I’ll start using Barnes TSXs which are now a little cheaper than the Core Lokts anyway. I do know one custom rifle builder/gunsmith/outfitter who doesn’t care for them on elk, AND won’t allow his clients to use a Remington 7mm mag on elk? He says both the above have penetration issues? Validity, or something ridiculous rearing it’s ignorant head? Don’t know?
CEH

Red Leg,
Yes, sometimes my facetiousness isn’t always apparent, but I call it as I see it when the ridiculousness rears it’s ignorant head. Bruce Moulds and Hoss Delgado seem to have me figured out. Anyway, I’ve never used/owned Silvertips. I’m sure they were/are fine on non DG. I’ve used Core Lokts in my .338 WM on elk and they have worked well. Would I use them in Africa for PG? I don’t know? Maybe I’ll start using Barnes TSXs which are now a little cheaper than the Core Lokts anyway. I do know one custom rifle builder/gunsmith/outfitter who doesn’t care for them on elk, AND won’t allow his clients to use a Remington 7mm mag on elk? He says both the above have penetration issues? Validity, or something ridiculous rearing it’s ignorant head? Don’t know?
CEH
I won’t sign a contract with anyone who tries to dictate firearm or bullet. I am confident that I have a better handle on those decisions than most. I have used the TSX extensively in Africa. Everything, from Oribi through buffalo was decisively dead.

I use the A Frame more these days, but the TSX is still an excellent bullet.

Last edited:
Why do you think you must gave an "American" cartridge? Why not a proper DG cartridge like the .404 Jeffery or the .450 NE?

I won’t sign a contract with anyone who tries to dictate firearm or bullet. I am confident that I have a better handle on those decisions than most. I have used the TSX extensively in Africa. Everything, from Oribi through buffalo was decisively dead.
Red Leg,
I fully agree. This guy I mentioned seems to build very nice rifles, but I too disagree with his his prejudices with some calibers and/or bullet choices. He’s an acquaintance of my father in law, and has built a couple of rifles for him. Maybe he should concentrate on the rifles and not outfitting?
CEH

Reactions: WAB
This is what I don't like about him.
He had opportunity to finish this Buffalo anywhere between the 0:35 seconds to 0:44 seconds and didn't.
Instead he chose to wait and provoke a charge for the sake of the camera and bravado.
He might be a good person, but after seeing just a few of his videos I would pass on even shaking his hand.
Your actions dictate who you are, all the rest is just hot air.
His actions are crap IMO.

I don't really know how to put into words what I think about that video. The man is everything that people against hunting think that we are. It was painful to watch and in my opinion if that's the way he treats his quarry, he shouldn't be allowed to shoot them. Taking a life isn't a game, it's a very serious matter and he clearly has zero respect for the feelings of that buff. Maybe one day he'll push his luck too far and a buff will get a bit of sport from him! (n)

hear hear njc.
treats the animal with the dignity he has for himself.
some of the clients often show or can be heard on his videos, and some of them think it is funny when they wound an animal.
no wonder people like boris johnsons partner can get such traction.
bruce.

It's what happens when people with the wrong mentality for the sport are allowed to hunt I suppose. The thing I hate is that even with video evidence like that, nothing is done about it. That's intentional cruelty which is a criminal offence I believe? The shooting community should do more to self regulate and stop this sort of activity. It's no good for us or the animals.

the animals have no say in the matter.
that is the bottom line and as such, we have a moral obligation.
some of us also have pride, but not all.
human nature can be at either end of the spectrum, but we have the choice.
bruce.

Nothing more can be said about the .375 H&H. Personally I have grown very fond of the .404, after having my shoulders badly damaged, my .416 rigby spends more time in the safe and the .404 comes out. I could care less where the caliber comes from just so long as it works and is readily available. As to the video. It is disgusting and the laughing! I would like to post a very funny Africa video if I can figure out how to do it.

Is this thread still about what larger bore rifle would also be suitable for North American Big Game? If so, any of the magnum capacity .375" cartridges will do well. The various comments on Winchester SilverTips need some clarification. Winchester did make a flat point ST for use in tubular magazines. they were available in 170 grains for either 30-30 or 32 Win Spl. With fregard to the 375, there were two variations. the first model had a cap that was almost bore diameter with a quite rounded nose, the jacket having very little ogive. The SilverTip was of an allow that resembled nickel and copper. this bullet was known to open too quickly and may be where some of the bad press originated. the second design had more jacket with a lesser diameter nose which was more pointed and appeared to be aluminum. this bullet had an excellent reputation on large Alaskan bears, though I hear that animals in Africa are much tougher.

As an all-around heavier rifle I rather like the 375 Weatherby. It has about 100 fps muzzle velocity over the H&H, factory loads are available and it can use H&H ammo if needed. A 235 grain bullet will have a trajectory nearly identical to a 180 grain 30-06, so is suitable for all normal hunting situations, then for heavy things, upping to 300 premiums will be quite effective on most anything.

Well , since you have stipulated AMERICAN calibres , let us see what is available :
.375 Weatherby
.378 Weatherby
.405 Winchester
.416 Ruger
.416 Remington magnum
.450 Watt
.458 Winchester magnum
.458 Lott
.450 Dakota
.460 Weatherby
.500 A Square

I believe that a .416 Remington magnum will fit your needs perfectly. Adequate for most cape buffaloes ( provided that the 400 grain bullet is being used ) , not overtly powerful for North American game .... and American in origin.

Is this thread still about what larger bore rifle would also be suitable for North American Big Game? If so, any of the magnum capacity .375" cartridges will do well. The various comments on Winchester SilverTips need some clarification. Winchester did make a flat point ST for use in tubular magazines. they were available in 170 grains for either 30-30 or 32 Win Spl. With fregard to the 375, there were two variations. the first model had a cap that was almost bore diameter with a quite rounded nose, the jacket having very little ogive. The SilverTip was of an allow that resembled nickel and copper. this bullet was known to open too quickly and may be where some of the bad press originated. the second design had more jacket with a lesser diameter nose which was more pointed and appeared to be aluminum. this bullet had an excellent reputation on large Alaskan bears, though I hear that animals in Africa are much tougher.

As an all-around heavier rifle I rather like the 375 Weatherby. It has about 100 fps muzzle velocity over the H&H, factory loads are available and it can use H&H ammo if needed. A 235 grain bullet will have a trajectory nearly identical to a 180 grain 30-06, so is suitable for all normal hunting situations, then for heavy things, upping to 300 premiums will be quite effective on most anything.
Here are a two examples of 300gr .375 Silvertips from different eras.
DSC02679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I shouldn’t have said “American” what I was meaning was what I consider traditional caliber. 300 win mag, .338 win mag, 7mm and so on. None the less it appears the .375 is winning the debate hands down.
You cant get any more traditional than the 9.3x62. Been killing piles of buffalo since 1905.

If you're opening the selection to cartridges available in the US as opposed to originating in the US, I submit the 404 Jeffery. It is one of the best, which is why I am unable to comprehend why the US gun/ammo companies didn't commence full production of it years ago.

375H&H or 375 Flanged Magnum. The latter has a significant edge over the 9.3 x 62 or 9.3x74R, and adds the allure of being an H&H creation also, but especially for double rifles. I am no expert, but one of the criticisms I hear of the 375H$H with 300 grain bullets was that it was a tad fast. The Flanged, at 2400fps vs 2550fps for the H&H overcomes that. I will hopefully be hunting a buff later this year with my 375 Flanged double and will let you know how it goes.

RSM in any calibre for your first buffalo rifle!

With feed and extraction, ejection issues this rifle does not maker the cut for me on a DG rifle.......

I am going to take A 416 Rigby in August. I shoot the gun well, it recoils less that my 375 and it is a traditional safari build. Also, availability of the softs and solids that I like and, more importantly, have nearly identical points of impact at 100yds or less. Also, only ~4.5" of drop between a 50yd '0' and 200 yds.

I would also caveat this choice with buffalo being the largest game pursued.

I am going to take A 416 Rigby in August. I shoot the gun well, it recoils less that my 375 and it is a traditional safari build. Also, availability of the softs and solids that I like and, more importantly, have nearly identical points of impact at 100yds or less. Also, only ~4.5" of drop between a 50yd '0' and 200 yds.

This was my choice as well in 2018 going for a dagga boy, you won't be disappointed. I found the recoil to be acceptable and I admit that I have shot smaller calibre harder kicking rifles than the 416 Rigby. To me it was comparable to a 3" magnum in my Browning double shotgun. For my final proficiency test at home, I did the following. Fill four 10 liter jugs with water, place them one at 100 yards, one at 75 yards, one at 50 yards, and one at 25 yards. As quickly as you can start shooting them, 100 yard and 75 yards off of sticks, 50 and 25 yard jugs off hand. When I could do this I felt is was ready to hunt cape buffalo. Not to mention that you're shooting an African classic. Have fun, I don't see how you can't.

I ve shot quite a few buffalo with the 375 Ruger and 9..3x62, both excellent elk rifles btw..My Ruger is an early Ruger 77 Hawkeye, blue and wood, weighs 7.5 lbs naked and 8.5 lbs with a scope, easy to pack in the high country of Idaho where I live and the high hills of Tanzania..Same for my Mauser 9.3x62, its great in the black timber swamps..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg