Buffalo rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Dawg2019, Sep 16, 2019.

1. MLindsay

MLindsay New Member

Member of:
    SCI

2. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    I Sold my .458wm to fund my .375H&H, both CZ550, the .375 feeds better but I put that down to cartridge design too.

One gun to hunt the world they say! There is a lot of .375 supporters, I’d have more if budget allowed. I am going to Africa on a cull hunt so that comes first.
    I am a fan of the 7mm-08, I just formed a conclusion way back that it may be the all round cartridge for Australian hunting. I have had several .308s but it is larger diameter than the .270 requirement for Some deer species, fits in a short action if that’s what you want.

I now own a 7mm-08 and it’s great it performs well on game. Most people I’ve discussed 7mm calibre s with are sold on it, discussions are short. Like .375 fans. They punch above their weight class.

Two words for any hunting, DG, culling or taking game, “Shot placement”

@Dawg2019 maybe reconsider your American cartridge/chambering criteria and see if you can find an American made rifle that suits your needs. After all you can then buy some Australian made Woodleigh projectiles to compliment it. And if you need another rifle no one would blame you if you decide to add a European rifle to the collection.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2019
    CoElkHunter likes this.

3. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    I know from personal experience in OZ that the 7-08 is hell on donkey out of a sexy little Sako Bavarian! I have one in a Remington Model 7 as well as a 260 in the identical rifle. They are just plain handy little rifles.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    CoElkHunter and CBH Australia like this.

4. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

as you go smaller calibre than the 308 on that case, shortening the barrel robs the potential of the cartridge more.
    actually the 7/08 and the 260 are capable of quite flat trajectories in 22" and 24" barrels.
    bruce.

CoElkHunter likes this.

5. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    It really depends on your budget. The Winchester M-70 and CZ are both excellent weapons at a good price point. I am a M-70 guy, so I lean that way, but the CZ is every bit as good. My M-70’s are custom jobs at roughly the same level as AHR’s top CZ conversions. There isn’t a nickels worth of difference between them.

If you can step up a notch in price, kimber and then Dakota have very good offerings. I hear good things about MRC but have no first hand experience.

If I were buying a .375 today it would be a Rigby Big Game. I just returned from a trip where we hunted with our Rigby Highland Stalker In 9.3x62 for the first time. Outstanding rifle! Obviously, the Mauser at a similar price point would be its equivalent if you prefer their finish.

Red Leg loves the blaser. I agree, it is an outstanding rifle and my wife is currently considering one. I’m too much of a traditionalist. I’ll stick to the ‘98 and it’s derivatives. Besides which, after literally hundreds of thousands of rounds through traditional bolt actions, the chances of me remembering to straight throw a blaser under pressure are zero to none!

6. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Sorry no. Don’t try to do this. Don’t try to buy a combo gun when you need a DG gun. A buffalo gun must be a quality DG rifle preferably .416. Your life may depend on it and that is more important than anything else.

CoElkHunter and CBH Australia like this.

7. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Got my R8 finally. Yes wish I had bought it years ago too!

BigSteve57 likes this.

8. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It is not an American cartridge , but the Magnum .375 made by the firm Holland and Holland is the best for your needs . My best clients for hunting Gaur back in the 1960s decade , were the ones who would bring this caliber as one of the two fire arms which they were allowed to bring into India ( the other was invariably a shot-gun or a .3006 for animals which were not very dangerous ) . A Gaur is an Indian buffalo similar to the African Cape buffalo . If the shooter is facing the animal from the side , then the aim should be made for the lungs due to it presenting a wide target and a convenient one for most shooters with average skill. A Gaur with two pierced lungs will not attack the Shikari and will go a short distance , coughing blood before collapsing . The side shot should be made with expanding bullets . Despite expanding , care must be taken not to choose a bullet that can disintegrate . My most successful clients who opted to shoot a Gaur with the aforementioned caliber used Winchester silver tip ammunition for shots from the side . No finer bullet design has ever been created ( during the time span of my career ) . Any modern equivalent to this excellent bullet can be used with great success on these large thick skinned bovines , if shot from the side and through both lungs. If the shooter is engaging a buffalo from the front position , then the shot should be aimed for the heart which is tucked between the beast’s fore legs . During my time , solid bullets with a strong metal envelope weighing 300 grains and with a blunt head were used for this shot . After killing enough buffaloes and studying their internal body composition , my former partner and l began recommending the following set up : load a soft nosed bullet into the gun for your first shot and hard nosed bullets for any shots which need to be made after the first shot . It worked well , but a solid bullet through a buffalo’s heart is not immediately fatal . It is guaranteed that it will die but it will take anywhere up to more than 15 to 17 minutes . A modern expanding bullet with a more controlled rate of expansion is perfect for the heart shot .
    However , whenever possible , we would try to get the client in a position where he can shoot the Buffalo from the side and hit it’s lungs .
    I find it most impressive that six decades ago , the Magnum 375 was the universally accepted caliber for dangerous animals ( except perhaps bull elephants ) and in 2019 , it’s popularity has increased manifold . Perhaps some things do withstand the test of time and never age.

CoElkHunter, mark-hunter, WAB and 4 others like this.

9. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Winchester Silvertips are discontinued for the .375 HH Magnum , Mr. Rahman .
    I know :( Who , in their right mind would discontinue this master piece of a bullet ??? But they did.

10. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    "Perhaps some things do withstand the test of time and never age".
    +1 (y)

Kawshik,welcome in the best forum,
    you wouldn't have some pictures of that lost time for us, too ??
    Be sure, you would have a big fan community here.
    It should not be forgotten under any circumstances what one could hunt with you: Gaur, tiger elephants.
    Best regards from Munich
    Foxi

gesch and Hoss Delgado like this.

11. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Foxi , take a look at this . Mr. Rahman showed us some really nice pics from the 1960s hunts
    https://www.africahunting.com/threads/could-a-22lr-possibly-kill-a-leopard.51357/page-5

12. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    https://www.africahunting.com/threads/shotgun-o-u-or-pump.6987/page-4
    A bit more recent , but that's his last leopard in the '90s. That sucker is huge ! And he did all his kills with a shotgun and buckshot ! He was my Granddad's Shikari ( Indian word for PH ) in the1960s in Darjileeng , India . :D

13. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

ah yes the old silvertip.
    a bullet from a bygone era.
    a very fast opening bullet, well suited to lung shots.
    a bullet that relied on being heavy for calibre, and could keep expanding and losing core and still have enough base to do a job on softer tissue.
    one of the best silvertips was the 300 gn 338, very long for calibre, offering reasonable penetration with a big frontal area.
    this bullet was used
    in early ruger m77s in oz for meat hunting buffalo preferred shot up the nose.
    the 100 gn 25 cal was too explosive at 25/06 speeds.
    270 and 30 cal were good for deer with lung shots.
    with the advent of such bullets as the swift aframe, such bullets have become yesterday's bullets.
    for buffalo you can now do lung shots, point of shoulder, and head shots with 1 bullet, negating the need for loading a soft then a solid in the magazine.
    on big game I have come to favour the frontal quartering shot on the point of the shoulder, and will wait to get it where possible for its deadliness.
    it has the added advantage of breaking the shoulder, while potentially taking out the heart, and destroying lung tissue at the same time with secondary bone fragments etc.
    bruce.

14. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It's really nice seeing how many options we have today , Bruce :) I like Swift A Frames for Buffalo .
    I wish they started remaking them silver tips again :( If Kynoch can resurface , so can the Silvertips !

15. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

hoss,
    the design of the original silvertip required a rather blunt nose, somewhere between a roundnose and a spitzer.
    this was part of its success, and also part of its demise.
    today you are not a hunter unless you use high b.c. bullets, preferably with plastic tips.
    fail to do this and you cannot kill anything, and should be so embarrassed that you should crawl into a hole and die.
    in fact if you shoot anything at less than 300 yds nowadays you have nearly qualified to be a hunter's apprentice.
    bruce.

CoElkHunter and Hoss Delgado like this.

16. crs

crs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
    Hunted:
    RSA
    "today you are not a hunter unless you use high b.c. bullets, preferably with plastic tips."

Bit of "tongue in cheek" there, eh Bruce?
    These .405 hand loaded Woodies must show that I am old fashioned - OK buff did not like them either.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2019

17. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

crs,
    Wait a minute. Are you telling us here on AH that you actually used several different LEVER ACTION rifles to hunt not only PG, but DG in Africa! How is that possible? AND no scope! According to several OPs posting on a different thread not too long ago, the hunting of any game in Africa is virtually impossible with a lever action rifle! Something’s amiss here? Maybe a full moon or the equinox were present when you used your lever actions? I’m REALLY confused now! Please explain!
    CEH

Max Simmons likes this.

18. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    Me too, I thought it was restricted to the traditional Doubles, CRF and the new kids on the block, The Blaser Club is it? Nobody has used lever guns there since Roosevelt would that be right?
    I’m gonna use what My PH Loans me I’m just happy to go

Max Simmons and CoElkHunter like this.

19. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Old is gold , Bruce :p
    I stockpile them Silvertips whenever they show up in an online auction

20. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

hoss,
    you might be better to grab all the northforks you can find now that they are dead in the water.
    bruce.

Hoss Delgado likes this.