Bringing wife on safari...On the fence

davetexas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I'm planning a buff hunt next year either in Zim or Tanzania. Question is should I bring my wife?

Previously I've been on a plains game safari in Zim. I was there with my father in law as he was hunting leopard. As we were both hunting I really only saw him for a couple of hours at night. I don't mind being alone and one of the aspects of my previous safari I really enjoyed was getting away from life both work and home.

That said my wife is not the type that will complain and cause issues for me on the safari. I also think she will really enjoy it and isn't really fair that I get to go on a nice trip and she doesn't. My expectations would be that she would go out with us at least 8 of the 10 days and maybe have a day or two to rest but I can't see her wanting to lay around camp. If we go to Zim there is also the option of going to Vic Falls for a couple of days. Other than that I don't see any side trips.

Probably the main factor right now is cost. My guess is it will add about 5K between the flight and observer fee's for her to go. I still can't figure out how she will consume $250+ a day of resources, granted I do understand that it is expensive to run a safari. I'm in my early 40's with 3 young kids and am not made of money. The trip for me is already quite an insane amount of money and if I didn't enormously enjoy my previous safari I wouldn't think about going again. This trip means I'm going to keep driving the same 2001 vehicle for at least another 5 years.

Appreciate any and all advice!

If you decide on Zim, the Vic Falls option is certainly one you and your wife could enjoy together for 1 or 2 days, other than that if you are close enough to one of the major game parks that is another non hunting option. I guess it comes down to what your wife really wants as to whether you both go or not.

Dave,
I have been fortunate to have taken two hunting trips to South Africa and my wife went both times.
She was on the truck every day and made several stalks with me. She took over my binoculars and became secondary game spotter, and the primary photographer. She is a gun owner, but not a hunter. On the second trip I over heard our PH trying to convince her to shoot an animal, but unfortunately he did not succeed.
I'm glad she went, but I did not hunt any DG.

My wife went with me this past April and really enjoyed it. So much that she's looking forward to going back. She hunted for two days and that was enough for her. The staff at Umdende did an awesome job lining up excursions for her after that. Talk to your outfitter and see what he offers for activities for observers. I'm sure they can arrange some excursions that will interest her.

Reactions: cls
I'm planning a buff hunt next year either in Zim or Tanzania. Question is should I bring my wife?

Previously I've been on a plains game safari in Zim. I was there with my father in law as he was hunting leopard. As we were both hunting I really only saw him for a couple of hours at night. I don't mind being alone and one of the aspects of my previous safari I really enjoyed was getting away from life both work and home.

That said my wife is not the type that will complain and cause issues for me on the safari. I also think she will really enjoy it and isn't really fair that I get to go on a nice trip and she doesn't. My expectations would be that she would go out with us at least 8 of the 10 days and maybe have a day or two to rest but I can't see her wanting to lay around camp. If we go to Zim there is also the option of going to Vic Falls for a couple of days. Other than that I don't see any side trips.

Probably the main factor right now is cost. My guess is it will add about 5K between the flight and observer fee's for her to go. I still can't figure out how she will consume $250+ a day of resources, granted I do understand that it is expensive to run a safari. I'm in my early 40's with 3 young kids and am not made of money. The trip for me is already quite an insane amount of money and if I didn't enormously enjoy my previous safari I wouldn't think about going again. This trip means I'm going to keep driving the same 2001 vehicle for at least another 5 years.

Appreciate any and all advice!

What does your wife want to do?

Good day Sir, My wife went with me on my previous two trips to South Africa and will me with me again this year in Zambia for cape buffalo. She has enjoyed it each time. The first time she came out every day with us some days she went on the stalk with us other days she stayed back at the truck and wandered around and took pictures. She was also talked into hunting a blesbok that first year(had never hunted before). Last year she came out pretty much every day unless it was going to be a long day. So when I booked my buffalo hunt for this year she had originally said no but when I told her it was in Zambia she was all over that. We will spend a couple days in Vic falls as well. Doesn't sound as if your other half is very high maintenance so I am sure she would enjoy the trip even if she stayed back at camp.

Dave,

My wife Ann is not a hunter. We did Zimbabwe in 2011 and Mozambique in 2016 - both Buffalo and Plains game. She loved it. Probably took 50 - 100 pictures per day. She is actually in better shape than me. So, the long days hiking for buffalo were no problem for her. She went out with us every day. When we were driving, she road in the cab with the PH. Because she is inquisitive, she learned more about both of them than I would have riding there. And, I enjoyed riding up top with the trackers - actually saw some animals before they did - or they at least let me think that I did!

Here's a link to her blog for Mozambique. Just realized she has our Danube River Cruise trip at the top. You need scroll down to see the Mozambique information.

https://annmielke.wordpress.com/

Bottom line for me is, if she wants to go absolutely have her go. And, don't hesitate on the $'s. It's an experience you both can share for the rest of your lives. And, if you go by yourself, who can you talk to about '...remember that day when...'

John

Last edited:
Dear davetexas
Enjoy the planning process - it forms a huge FUN part of your safari.
Talk to references: ask them why did they go alone without their spouses and in the event they took their spouses along, how did they and your spouses experience the safari.

Oh he would like to go that is for sure. This is mainly just me being selfish with my alone time and financially.

My wife is also in better shape than I am so no worries there. I do have slight concern about security and safety. On my own I wouldn't have to worry about these things. I tend to be a worrier so would hate to add to that aspect.

So far I'm counting 100% on the take her column....

Those that went to Vic Falls, what do you do with your rifles for the time you are there? I've heard that the falls don't run that heavy in the July-Sept time period. Probably need to search for posts on this or start a new one.

Thank all....

My wife has gone on all 3 trips with me and would have her bags packed in 10 min when we go again.

Some places will throw in a "free" observer if they know there really isn't much other than additional food costs. Maybe asks your outfitter if that is a possibility. It couldn't hurt.

I am going on my first trip to Africa next month and my wife is not going with me.

When I booked the trip I assumed she would not be interested in going to a remote location in Africa, she doesn't hunt and is not much of an outdoors person and has shown no interest in any other hunting I have done. Plus she had taken a vacation this spring to an all inclusive resort in Mexico with a girlfriend so she had already had a vacation of her own. But when I told her where I was going she was upset I had not included her. I told her it was not too late and that she could easily go but then she said that it would not work out being gone that long without our children.

If I am fortunate enough to go back she will definitely come along as well as possibly our children.

Oh he would like to go that is for sure. This is mainly just me being selfish with my alone time and financially.

My wife is also in better shape than I am so no worries there. I do have slight concern about security and safety. On my own I wouldn't have to worry about these things. I tend to be a worrier so would hate to add to that aspect.

So far I'm counting 100% on the take her column....

Those that went to Vic Falls, what do you do with your rifles for the time you are there? I've heard that the falls don't run that heavy in the July-Sept time period. Probably need to search for posts on this or start a new one.

Thank all....

I wouldn't take my wife on a DG hunt. I did take her on a PG hunt, once, had fun but won't do it again (her choice, and I agree).

If you hunt Zim, stay on the Zim side of Vic Falls and the rifles shouldn't be an issue since you are staying in the same country. Water at Vic Falls is July is usually good. If you can go late June, you'll save money as the "high season" or high rates begins July 1.

My wife is a non-hunter and likes to run and workout. She came on a 7 day PG hunt with one of our daughters (who hunts) and me. We typically hunted in the morning without my wife and then in the afternoon sort of hunted, sort of photo safari. We had fun and enjoyed the week together at the 5 star Hunter's Namibian Safari lodge. However, all future trips have been either hunting trips without my wife or photo safari trips with my wife. She liked it, but sort of got bored.

Namibia hunt w/ Wife
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/namibia-hunters-namibia-safaris.22881/

Chobe
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/botswana-chobe-photo-safari-august-2015.23742/

Vic Falls
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...000-kwacha-vic-falls-royal-livingstone.23834/

My wife won't let me go without her--she has been on 3 safaris with me.
Happy wife happy life...

Last edited:
Forgetting the first rule of trip planning - make sure you really understand what your spouse likes and wants to do - I cajoled my her into accompanying me to a lovely destination in Namibia. It was a mistake. She is not a hunter, and not really interested in the whole outdoors experience - probably a result of growing up on a hard scrabble sheep ranch. But I enjoyed it so much, I just knew she would. Not so much.

On the other hand, she loves accompanying me on a European or Argentine hunt. They typically last three days or so, and the remaining 7-10 days we have fun playing tourist (which I also enjoy emensely.

She has no issue with me traveling off to a ten or fourteen-day hunting destination, and is ready to start packing when we will primarily be tourists. We are both good with that.

my wife has made every hunting trip with me, (two trips to SA and one to NZ) we have made memories that will last forever.
she is not a hunter but has made every step with me. she has made some amazing photographs that i would never have made.
i always enjoy seeing everything through her eyes as well.

I'm sorry but in most cases hunting and wives don't go together. It's your dream to hunt a buff not hers! I mean I could be wrong.....
You always hear of guys wrestling with this decision.
Best of luck with your decision.
Philip

Have you thought about taking her or sending her on a trip that she would enjoy instead of taking her to Africa? might be more expensive but she would sure be happy, kind of like a trade off.... i go hunting and you do what you feel like. But if she is set on joining you for the hunt then just ask your outfitter to arrange excursions for her during your hunt so she doesn't sit in camp, but these do come at a price.

I have taken my wife and she enjoyed herself a great deal. If she wants to go the only question would be can she keep up on stalks and would she feel like part of the hunt!? I do t think you will regret taking her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg