BOTSWANA: Chobe Photo Safari August 2015

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by 375 Ruger Fan, Aug 27, 2015.

1. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Just got back from a photo safari with the wife and friends. I'll sort thru all the photos and start posting a few per day. Departing out of Lagos, Nigeria on a red-eye flight at 10:30pm, we arrived in Joburg at 5:30am on a Saturday morning. We spent the night at the airport hotel, City Lodge, and it was pretty good. Good breakfast, clean, modern and quiet rooms. Dinner menu a little light, but other than that, no issues.

Friends from Houston arrived late on Saturday. Sunday, we flew to Kasane, Botswana. Nice little airport and very little hassle. A new terminal is under construction and should make it a very nice place. The Chobe Game Lodge (http://www.chobegamelodge.co.bw/ ) met us at the airport and in about 30 minutes we were at the lodge. Amazing place, located inside the national park, right on the banks of the Chobe River. We settled in for our 3 night stay, to be followed by 3 nights at Livingstone, Zambia to see Vic Falls.

Photos and comments to follow.

198.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Look forward to it

3. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Lots of animals. Way overpopulated with elephants. Was there in May. Looking forward to the pics. Bruce

4. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe

Looking forward to the photos and info.

Bruce,

You need to start a thread too.;)

5. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Sunday, Aug 16: After a slight flight delay out of Joburg, we arrived at Kasane. A guide and truck from the Chobe Game Lodge met us at the airport and transported us the short distance to the lodge. The reasons to stay at Chobe Game Lodge is it is located in the National Park, it's a very nice, relaxing lodge and you'll see lots of wildlife. Chobe National Park is 11,700 sq km or about 4500 sq miles. In 3 days of touring, we only scratched a fraction of the area. I'm guessing we toured an area of maybe 30 sq miles. The park is known for elephants and did not disappoint. We saw 4 of the Big 5, with rhino being the only no-show. We were in the extreme northern part of the park, o n the banks of the Chobe River. The river runs basically west to east and Botswana is south of the river and the Caprivi Strip of Namibia is north of the river. The Chobe River flows a few miles east of Kasane and flows into the Zambezi River. This is where Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe all come together. During Feb-May, the "backflow" from the Zambezi River occurs, covering the Chobe floodplain with high water.

Today's photos are of the lodge. Really nice architecture that blends in to the surroundings. The lodge has loads of open air sitting areas to relax, enjoy a drink or just do nothing. A very laid back atmosphere, with excellent dining and service.
    Tomorrow, I'll start posting animal photos............promise........:A Callme:
    207.JPG 198.JPG 135.JPG 137.JPG 139.JPG 202.JPG 205.JPG 204.JPG 230.JPG

6. vancewalker007

vancewalker007 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF, SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Looks like the hard life o_O Hope you had a great hunting experience. I am working on loads for a new 375 Ruger. I'm really interested if you are using this caliber and how it performs and what bullets you are using.

bluey likes this.

7. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Still on our arrival day, Sunday, Aug 16, we took an afternoon boat excursion on the Chobe River. A pontoon boat, with a nice canopy cover from the intense sun, ice chest with an assortment of adult beverages and a good assortment of snacks made for an enjoyable afternoon. Saw lots of Implala, elephants, cros, hippos and birds. The weather was perfect.

142.JPG 143.JPG 144.JPG 421.JPG 426.JPG 429.JPG 432.JPG 431.JPG

Wheels likes this.

8. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    looks magnificent

9. bluey

bluey AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
    looks like a great place to chillax for a couple of days ........

now about the animal photos , ...........
    looking foreward to them ...................

10. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Day 2, Monday, Aug 17

Wake up call at 0500. Coffee, tea and hot muffins are served on the veranda at 0530. Mount up in the tour vehicles (Toyota Land Cruisers, of course). See elephants everywhere! Chobe has an estimated 60,000 elephants on 4500 sq miles, or 13.3 elephants per square mile. That's one elephant per 48 acres. Seems a bit out of balance to me.
    521.JPG 523.JPG
    While we saw lots of elephants, I can't say that we saw any huge elephants.

563.JPG
    This photo is taken from one of the viewing or sun decks at Chobe Game Lodge. This is looking due east, towards the town of Kasane. Note the broad flood plain. We the water is up (Feb-April) this is all wet.
    565.JPG

A good view of how the land on the Botswana side of the Chobe River gains some elevation and actually has some rolling hills further south.

573.JPG 575.JPG 578.JPG
    This guy was showing off for the camera.

584.JPG

The baby elephants were cute and numerous.

590.JPG

598.JPG 602.JPG 728.JPG
    Photo shows another one of tour trucks from Chobe Game Lodge. This was a waterhole about 3 miles inland from the river. There was a borehole (water well) that had a solar powered, electric submersible pump. Note how the truck is honoring the "No Entry" sign.

732.JPG

A quite disturbing scene.........when will elephants learn to read? :whistle:

It was quite interesting to watch the various groups of elephants take turns at the watering hole. There was a distinct way the groups sort of queued up. Must come from the British influence from the early colonial days.

149.JPG

Located only about a mile from the lodge, we came across a dead, young elephant. According to our tour guide, they typically die from anthrax. This one was fresh, because it didn't smell too bad. We thought this would be a good place to re-visit over the course of the next few days. We spotted two other dead elephants in the area and smelled a fourth one. Predators were going to eat well and the tourist might get quite a sight.

Just to give you something to keep you interested, check out the coming attractions: More cats on Monday.
    812.JPG

Wheels and bluey like this.

11. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Day 3, Tues, Aug 18.

Up at 0500 and repeat the process from the prior day. Coffee and hot muffins at 0530, on the road by 0600. Tour the park until about 0830 and then back to the lodge for a full breakfast. Late morning, we had the option at boating the river, tour by truck or do nothing. On Monday, we did the boat tour and Tuesday we opted for more tour via truck. It's all good, as we saw animals everywhere.

We saw lots of lions and that what I'll focus on today. Lots of lions, but did not see a big male with a full mane. To be honest, I was a bit uncomfortable at times we were viewing the lions. They were close.........very close. We were in an open truck and the tour guide had no weapon. If a lion decided to attack, there was no apparent back up plan. I like having back up plans and a back up to the back up in a dangerous game situation.

Take a look at the lions:

061.JPG 062.JPG 063.JPG
    Look close and count them: 10 lions. 4 in the upper left, 3 close and 3 more in the upper right.

068.JPG 071.JPG
    Pretty cool photo with 3 amigos on the prowl.

084.JPG 077.JPG
    One of these lions must be related to Cecil..........

157.JPG
    This gives you an idea of what it looks like, sitting in an open truck, and lions coming straight at you. At this point on a hunt, the safety would be off, but on the photo safari, I wondering if I should throw the camera first or the binoculars. Luckily, I didn't have to make that choice.

158.JPG 446.JPG 450.JPG 451.JPG 654.JPG 803.JPG
    The dead elephant was really stinking up the place and the lions were having a tough time getting through the protective wrapping. One lion seemed to be making progress by going through the eye socket.

805.JPG 811.JPG 816.JPG

Leopard photos on Tuesday
    Buffalo on Wednesday
    Kudu, Sable, Tsessebe and birds on Thursday

12. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Leopard photos today............just saw one of these guys. Initially saw him/her on the same dead elephant, attempting to make a Happy Meal out to the trunk.

172.JPG 173.JPG 174.JPG 670.JPG 673.JPG 674.JPG 674.JPG 717.JPG

Buffalo on Wednesday
    Kudu, Sable, Tsessebe and birds on Thursday

Attached Files:

• 675.JPG
      675.JPG
      File size:
      6.2 MB
      Views:
    JWB300 likes this.

13. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Dagga boys are on tap today. I hunted for 10 days in Zimbabwe back in May and the buffs would get a whiff of scent and take off. The buffs in Chobe, like most of the other animals, are oblivious to the tourist. They just ignore them. I'm guessing that anti-hunters that go on these types of tours think the animal behavior they see is normal and there can't be much to hunting. The animal behavior might be normal for a park or a zoo, but sadly it's not the real, wild Africa.

Most of these photos were taken right on the banks of the Chobe River. The ones that look like a Kansas wheat field are looking across the river onto the Namibia side, part of the Caprivi Strip.

Enjoy the pics. Kudu, Sable, Tsessebe and birds on Thursday. Maybe a hyena or two.
    472.JPG 475.JPG 478.JPG 480.JPG
    This guy would look go over my fireplace

484.JPG

Dagga Boys playing in the dagga

487.JPG

Kansas wheat field or Caprivi Strip?

488.JPG
    The one in the middle caught my attention

490.JPG 491.JPG
    Substantial looking boss on this guy

831.JPG

14. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Last day for Chobe National Park photos: Today, a little mix of everything. The Kudu and Sable really made me cry. Why can't I see critters like these when I'm on a hunt!

217.JPG 219.JPG

Am I dreaming!

712.JPG

20 yards, broadside and only armed with a camera. One day, one of these will hopefully find a way to my trophy room.

533.JPG 612.JPG 614.JPG 618.JPG 625.JPG 213.JPG
    And here we meet the Sable family.............

227.JPG 703.JPG 706.JPG 832.JPG 188.JPG
    We saw plenty of hyenas too, but never in action on a meal.

687.JPG 692.JPG 190.JPG
    "Eco-tourism" sure does leave a big footprint! All the roads in the park were deeply rutted.

503.JPG
    This is a photo that can have many, many captions. Feel free to make up your own.

507.JPG
    Monkey pretending to be an eagle

497.JPG

Eagle being an eagle

041.JPG 766.JPG

Roan..........only saw a few of these, but still impressive.

740.JPG
    Tsessebe....very interesting colors. The fastest antelope in Africa.
    741.JPG
    Tsessebe, Impala and a Sable.

744.JPG
    Giraffe doing the splits

827.JPG
    Jackal........this guy was calling and calling, but nothing came in.

742.JPG

THE END

Hope you like the summary of Chobe National Park and Chobe Game Lodge. A great place to spend 2 or 3 nights and see a lot of wildlife.

15. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Thanks for the tour. Much appreciated.
    One of those pictures of the Elephants looks like they are a near plague.

I know this feeling. Shade, any shade.

217.JPG