Booking for 2022, ~5 weeks in Africa

@Tanks sounds like an epic journey and hunt is about to begin. Looking forward to reading your report, particularly the sable hunt portion with @spike.t . I will be there about the same time next year.

Prep is fun though my girlfriend is not looking forward to getting bunch of shots in order to get to Africa. :ROFLMAO: Appointment is this Thursday. All I need is malaria prescription, she on the other hand needs the kitchen sink as even her Tetanus shot is out of date.

what does the inside of those pelican air look like?
Here from the Pelican site.

1655820110106.png

Which model of the pelican air did you take @Tanks?
the carry-on model? or the full-size air travel case?

Those are the full check-in size, 1615. Mine with the red handle has already been on several international trips including Africa.

Those are the full check-in size, 1615. Mine with the red handle has already been on several international trips including Africa.
These things don't roll?!? My motto (which serves me better every year I age) is - if it doesn't roll, it doesn't fly.

These things don't roll?!? My motto (which serves me better every year I age) is - if it doesn't roll, it doesn't fly.
They have wheels and a telescopic handle. Here is a pic from Pelican site depicting it. Now, you have to tilt it for it to roll unlike luggage with 4 wheels. I agree with the wheels being required as one ages. ;)

1655907473174.png

They have wheels and a telescopic handle. Here is a pic from Pelican site depicting it. Now, you have to tilt it for it to roll unlike luggage with 4 wheels. I agree with the wheels being required as one ages. ;)

View attachment 472769
I saw on the pelican website there is a model like this with already some pockets and compartments built into it. Instead of just a big bin of sorts. Did you consider this? pro's con's?

1655913048543.png

I saw on the pelican website there is a model like this with already some pockets and compartments built into it. Instead of just a big bin of sorts. Did you consider this? pro's con's?

View attachment 472782
These are great when flying business or first class with 70 pound limit. At 19 pounds with dividers versus 14 pounds empty, that’s quite a difference. Instead, inside, I use clear trash bags to separate my things. One for underclothes, socks and camp slippers, one for shirts, pants and shorts, one for jackets, gloves and hats and one for miscellaneous small gear items that aren’t in my carry-on or in gun case.

View attachment 472782

I prefer doing my own thing and pack tighter. I use packing cubes and vacuum sealed bags. Not to mention it is a lot less expensive than what Pelican charges for these. Don't forget we also have the locked ammo container that has to go in there. Also, the empty bin has endless configuration possibilities ;)

You @Tanks and @Scott CWO , are right, I should not complicate things too much.

Well, next step in preparation is done. Took my girlfriend to Passport Health. She was woefully inadequate in vaccines. Had five shots today and has two more next week. We also got prescriptions for malaria meds and very strong anti-biotics (500mg each tablet) in case of traveler's stomach issues.

Total cost was $1,700 just for her (my vaccines were up to date) not counting the prescriptions when we pick them up. I had forgotten how much initial vaccines cost as never get more than one or two as they expire and have lifetime immunity to some of the others.

My wife and I traveled to Zambia three years ago. For that we had to get our shots from a local "travel clinic". Ouch!

Last year we used the Henry Ford (local Michigan health organization...) travel clinic for a trip to Zimbabwe. My TRICARE insurance covered most of the cost. I had asked Henry Ford about malaria and other shots three years ago and got a blank stare.

Well, a little bit of range work today. First was the Blaser R8 in .300 RUM, top group is from rest at 200 yards. Second group is from shooting sticks. I am happy with the accuracy of this rifle.

1657239081220.png

Next was practice with the .500 NE. At the end I decided to back up to 85 yards and fire two shots, left and right barrel from the sticks. Aim point was the top of the red circle. Sure looked small through the Trijicon. ;) I am happy with the result as both shots were within 2" or so of the aimpoint. I also simulated field conditions and fired as soon as the gun came down and I lined up on the target again. Gun is capable of better group for sure as I have proved that from rest. Regardless, good enough for buffalo vitals, if somehow, we see a very nice one and we can't get closer. For elephant I will not take a shot unless we are within 50 yards.

1657239442977.png

Less than two weeks to go and I am feeling antsy. Next Tuesday (11th) my self-imposed quarantine starts as I don't want to take any chances before I leave on the 20th.

Well done!!! I have experienced the same type of groupings in similar situations rest versus sticks with my 450-400 DR and 275 Rigby. I am ready for Zim in 23

Well, a little bit of disappointment today as I was not able to fit the Blaser R8 and the Heym 88B in the Pelican 1700 with the scope. I did not want to put the scope in my luggage and was not sure in regards to TSA etc. for carry on. All I would need is an officious TSA employee to deny me boarding with it.

Thankfully, I have as many Pelican gun cases as I do holsters. :ROFLMAO: I pulled out a 1750 full length case out of a closet, measured and cut.

Everything fit and it is 23kg, well below 32kg business weight limit. Here is a pic, using "Foam Factory" foam cutting knife it took mere minutes. There is an inch soft foam under the cutouts and another inch soft foam in the lid. I should be good.

1658023763497.png

On Monday I will assemble everything, go to the range and make sure the Blaser R8 scope really holds its zero, as advertised, once it is reassembled. Then, pack everything up.

Sounds like a great trip and you are well prepared. Loo forward to the tales from the hunt!

I re-assembled the Blaser R8 and took it to the range today. Dead on, so confirmed what everyone has said in regards to zero holding between mounting and unmounting of the scope on the barrel.

Last practice session with the .500 NE first group is off-hand and the other is from sticks at 50 meters. I have a feeling the windage might be off a tad. At this point I wasn't going to mess with it. I'll go Kentucky windage about an inch or so in the field. I'll test it again when I test fire the guns when I arrive at hunting site.

Off-hand 50 meters.
1658185384930.png

Sticks 50 meters
1658185486172.png

I re-assembled the Blaser R8 and took it to the range today. Dead on, so confirmed what everyone has said in regards to zero holding between mounting and unmounting of the scope on the barrel.

Last practice session with the .500 NE first group is off-hand and the other is from sticks at 50 meters. I have a feeling the windage might be off a tad. At this point I wasn't going to mess with it. I'll go Kentucky windage about an inch or so in the field. I'll test it again when I test fire the guns when I arrive at hunting site.

Off-hand 50 meters.
View attachment 477876

Sticks 50 meters
View attachment 477878
I’ll take those groups any day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!