Bolt action shotguns

Seriously? You are considering poking a hole in a buffalo with a shotgun?!? Or a moose for that matter?
My Dad used his 12g on tiger. In India they had "LG" which had 5 pellets, not 9 as in "SG". Dad shot 4 tigers
and a man-eating bear with his 12g. So I suppose Red Leg knows what he's doing, especially if he uses ball cartridge at pretty close range. An ounce of lead leaving an enormous wound track, would be pretty lethal.

Last edited:
I know of a Cape Buffalo shot in a field next to a village(eating the villagers valuable millet) in Zambia with a 12 ga 2 3/4 inch Brenneke slug(out of a 308 Win/12ga combination gun). The slug was placed high hart double lungs just as the buff stepped forward with his front left leg. He was grazing at the time and was oblivious about what was going to happen. He stepped back, wobbled fell over and gave the death bellow. The slug was recovered under the skin opposite shoulder.

Close enough correct shot placement with a Brenneke slug and you will be amazed at the effectiveness.

I have shot many animals with a 12ga 2 3/4 Brenneke slug. Warthog, bushpigs, impala, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, leopard, lioness ....very effective if used within it's range limitations. Also very satisfying I might add.

I agree. Ball and buckshot can only be used in close. Dad used a machan 12' high covering a young goat tethered on the top of a dining table, with a hurricane lamp fixed directly overhead. At night the goat would bleat and bring the tiger in. As the tiger stood up to look onto the table - that's when Dad would hit him in the chest. All over red rover!

I've also got negative slides of my Dad with his pet leopards! Dad was a pretty wily guy in his younger years!

Killed a load of whitetails with Lightfield 20 gauge slugs. Furthest was 150 yards and they don't go far. Before switching to a 20, I used the 12 gauge versions for a short time and they are sledgehammers. The 3&1/2" version shoots a 600 grain slug with 4579 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy and at 175 yards, over 1300 ft. lbs. of energy, more than enough for any North American game.

I know of a Cape Buffalo shot in a field next to a village(eating the villagers valuable millet) in Zambia with a 12 ga 2 3/4 inch Brenneke slug(out of a 308 Win/12ga combination gun). The slug was placed high hart double lungs just as the buff stepped forward with his front left leg. He was grazing at the time and was oblivious about what was going to happen. He stepped back, wobbled fell over and gave the death bellow. The slug was recovered under the skin opposite shoulder.

Close enough correct shot placement with a Brenneke slug and you will be amazed at the effectiveness.

I have shot many animals with a 12ga 2 3/4 Brenneke slug. Warthog, bushpigs, impala, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, leopard, lioness ....very effective if used within it's range limitations. Also very satisfying I might add.
I too have killed a lot of game with slugs - both Brenneke and sub-calibers. I even own a William Evans Paradox which shoots a 740 gr lead bullet when it isn't shooting 1 1/8 ounces of No. 6 shot. I have killed warthog and sand grouse from the same waterhole with it. I could kill a buffalo with it, but it would only be as a weapon of last or only resort. Close enough with almost anything can kill almost anything. But buying a slug gun to hunt buffalo and moose would be at best silly, and with regard to the buffalo, fairly irresponsible with regard to the rest of the party.

Reactions: IvW
I too have killed a lot of game with slugs - both Brenneke and sub-calibers. I even own a William Evans Paradox which shoots a 740 gr lead bullet when it isn't shooting 1 1/8 ounces of No. 6 shot. I have killed warthog and sand grouse from the same waterhole with it. I could kill a buffalo with it, but it would only be as a weapon of last or only resort. Close enough with almost anything can kill almost anything. But buying a slug gun to hunt buffalo and moose would be at best silly, and with regard to the buffalo, fairly irresponsible with regard to the rest of the party.
I think the buffalo in this case is an American bison and not the Cape buffalo.

I have two bolt action shotguns. Both .410 . One is a Webley and Scott Single shot (2 1/2" chamber) that I was given by Mom and Dad for Christmas about over thirty years ago. I shot my first Pheasant with it a few days later (I was about 12 yrs old) I still have it but don't use it much now. I also have a Norica 3 shot (3" chamber) that I was given by the widow of a gamekeeper. I like to use it for squirrel stalking. It has a dreadful trigger but somehow I like it. Maybe I am weird?

I recall when I was a teenager one of my mates had a Marlin Goose Gun (12bore) with an incredibly long barrel.

I can't remember if it was 3" chamber but it was a beast of a thing. Anyone remember/shoot one of them?

I'm assuming bolt action repeaters. I've owned a couple of them- a 12 ga and a 410. I got the 410 when I was about 12 years old. It pointed very nicely and I took a lot of birds with it. But I think by their nature of design, rattle clunky and not at all smooth to cycle. Sold or traded off both and shed no tears.

Last edited:
I own two Mossberg 410s. My fathers...circa 1945...and my 1970 Christmas present. I take exception to Red Leg's characterization...I found it to be quite easy to shoot as a 10 year old. I learned to hunt quiet and get close.

Here is something special..this is the first one I personally have seen...12 ga Parker Hale bolt action shot gun..
By37913.jpg
VqOPfge.jpg
2Lfuvax.jpg
fxjAqCC.jpg

Attachments

• By37913.jpg
    By37913.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 177
  • VqOPfge.jpg
    VqOPfge.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 2Lfuvax.jpg
    2Lfuvax.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 171
  • fxjAqCC.jpg
    fxjAqCC.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 188

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!