Bolt action rifle: Failed to fire

Just to put it out there, recently a new rifle was built on an old action and we also experienced a 'fail to fire' with some of the ammo.

On close inspection and after lots of debating, it was noted that the firing pin was not quite central to the bolt and so was striking to one side of the primer...some of the primers wouldn't detonate... a couple did causing much consternation. What was frustrating to begin with was that the strike from the pin was a good one!

Figuring out how bolts are put together was also a learning curve! Disassembling the bolt and making a new insert to centralise the pin got the whole thing working properly.

No need to measure the overall length of the firing pin. Just remove the bolt, decock it and use a dial or digital caliper to check the protrusion from the bolt face.

Reactions: lcq
I hate it when guns don't work. Fortunately the problems are relatively easy to fix. After reading all of the posts above mine and agreeing with them, I thought of another possibility a short or damaged firing pin. If you are going to strip the bolt down to install a heavier spring or to clean out any debris like Velo Dog mentioned why not measure the firing pin as well? Ruger makes more than one bolt action rifle, installing the wrong firing pin is not out of the realm of reason. I've also seen broken firing pins cause problems similar to yours

Good luck finding the reason for your problem.

the 2 loudest sounds

the bang that should have gone click
the click that should have gone bang

I had a good, competent gunsmith check out the gun completely after the click-click events. Gunsmith reported firing pin and spring, plus headspace were all good. He fired 3 different types of ammo and all 3 fired. The thing that bugs me though is the fact that my FTF occurred with 2 different types of ammo (Remington and Hornady). Statisically speaking, this would suggest the problem is not ammo related. I will test fire it with some Swift ammo when I am back in the US in late February and go from there.

I must correct my last submission! !
I indicated that the bolt had been redrilled as we had all discussed around the work bench. .... that didn't happen. What did happen and it fixed the problem was to use a heavier spring for the firing pin .
We shot it again last weekend and it fired every time!
The stripping of the bolt showed previouss work done to it.

I must correct my last submission! !
I indicated that the bolt had been redrilled as we had all discussed around the work bench. .... that didn't happen. What did happen and it fixed the problem was to use a heavier spring for the firing pin .
We shot it again last weekend and it died every time!

I ended up replacing the factory original firing pin spring (21#) with a new Wolff spring (24#). Just got back from the range and no FTF with the same ammo that did have the FTF problems (Remington Core Lokt and Hornaby SST). For good measure, I shot three rounds of the new Swift ammo, with the A-Frames. All were 180 gr.

Top Left are the Swift A-Frames, Bottom Left are Remington Core Lokt and Bottom Right are the Hornady SST.

Now before anyone compliments me on my shooting skills, I need to disclose this was at a 25 yard indoor range. I orignally planned to shoot at 100 and 200 yards at my outdoor range, but they are hosting some 4H event and the range was closed to shooting. Anyways, I am happy no more FTF problems and "on paper" and ready to go to the outdoor range for a little fine tuning ahead of the November elk hunt in Montana with my son-in-law.

upload_2017-3-10_14-2-56.png

Glad that it looks like your problem is solved. Another victory to the members of this forum.

I'm glad your FTF issues are behind you. Just as I suspected your problem was easy to fix and not all that expensive. For the heck of it why don't you test the original firing pin spring to make sure it is a 21 pound spring and the length it was supposed to be? I've watched gunsmiths clip coils off springs so things work easier.

A little bit late but use as a reference next time for similar problems. Our unit armourer always did the following.

1. Check if firing pin spring is on standard. (strong enough, Old and worn replace.)
2,Check if firing pin is free floating inside bolt when all springs is removed.
3. Check if firing pin is protruding far enough.
4. If above three failed. grind the firing pin on two sides to look like a chisel tip instead of rounded. Now your firearm is back in business.

I had a box of Remington ammo in 45/70 that only 3 rounds fired, I tried them in 5 different rifles and 1 pistol. Won't buy Remington ammo ever again

I have had this problem with double tap ammo before. Sometimes they just get a batch of bad primers

Heavier firing pin and spring and different ammo. if it does it again don't take it hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross