Bobs gonna disown me for this one.....

Yeah that’s a stupid law imo. It was like that here in Sask as well until 10 or so years ago, I forget now. But it sucked if you couldn’t book holidays and could only hunt 2 or 3 Saturdays. Hopefully NS gets with the program!
I doubt it we can’t even get a spring bear hunt through legislation we do get the first two sundays now for about the last five years.

Nova Scotia still doesn’t allow Sunday hunting so I’m stuck waiting until tomorrow night to take mine out. Got it up to the range and sighted it in using Hornadys this afternoon luckily Canadian tire had a box.
ELX or interlocks? ELX work great

Why Interlocks? Using an abundant and cheap frangible bullet is not good economy- best reserved for paper targets. Barnes bullets immediately come to mind or Hornady's version of the monolithic come to mind. The game deserves better than cheap out bullets or easy to obtain bullets. One more time... the interlock verbiage Hornady uses for their Interlock bullet is a fraudulent, suggestive claim for performance on big game.

Why Interlocks? Using an abundant and cheap frangible bullet is not good economy- best reserved for paper targets. Barnes bullets immediately come to mind or Hornady's version of the monolithic come to mind. The game deserves better than cheap out bullets or easy to obtain bullets. One more time... the interlock verbiage Hornady uses for their Interlock bullet is a fraudulent, suggestive claim for performance on big game.
Because it’s what was loaded it the box of shells I could buy. I’ve got to order dies and components before I can begin building anything.

A fellow that I worked with had an old (about 1960) Winchester Model 70 target rifle that was chambered in 243 Win. As I recall it had a standard 1-10" twist, From what I've read I would think that the 243 wouldn't be particularly good for targets- at least anything beyond 300 yards. Now 60 years later there are long high BC bullets that would be great for target shooting to the long ranges- but a faster twist would be needed.
Is there any use for a 243 target rifle with a 1-10" twist?

Because it’s what was loaded it the box of shells I could buy. I’ve got to order dies and components before I can begin building anything.
It seems for factory ammo, Hornady has really stepped up their production compared to the others. When I was recently looking for factory .25-06 ammo just to shoot in my new rifle, 117gr. Hornady Interlocks were ALL I could find for under $45-50/box ANYWHERE. I paid $34/box at Sportsman's Warehouse. Almost THREE years into the "ammo shortage" this time around, these ammo manufacturers are still playing us like fools! They continue to produce and fill the shelves with all their latest and greatest "proprietary" hunting ammo for their partnered rifle manufacturer's chamberings, while many of the most common hunting cartridges are still unobtanium with premium bullets and/or at nose bleed prices. Try and find ANY .338WM with a premium bullet for under $100+/box. It's absolutely absurd! So Skinnersblade, buy what you can find and go hunting!

It seems for factory ammo, Hornady has really stepped up their production compared to the others. When I was recently looking for factory .25-06 ammo just to shoot in my new rifle, 117gr. Hornady Interlocks were ALL I could find for under $45-50/box ANYWHERE. I paid $34/box at Sportsman's Warehouse. Almost THREE years into the "ammo shortage" this time around, these ammo manufacturers are still playing us like fools! They continue to produce and fill the shelves with all their latest and greatest "proprietary" hunting ammo for their partnered rifle manufacturer's chamberings, while many of the most common hunting cartridges are still unobtanium with premium bullets and/or at nose bleed prices. Try and find ANY .338WM with a premium bullet for under $100+/box. It's absolutely absurd! So Skinnersblade, buy what you can find and go hunting!
I paid 73 dollars for Hornady American whitetail

I don't mind paying a high price for a cartridge that I'm going to shoot at an animal, it's all those practice/sighters that I object to paying the exorbitant price.
I’ve just accepted prices are higher here. Our dollars trading at about .75cents us plus there’s import and duty and Trudeau. I try to only buy factory ammunition when I need brass or am not sure if I’m keeping a caliber.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen is probably going to disown me for this one but I bought a .243 yesterday and am looking for what loads works for whitetails. Rifles a Rossi matched pair in 243 22lr and 20 gauge that rolls up in a cloth case.
I thought about buying one of those when it came out. I thought it would make a good survival set.

My kid shot a little buck in Wisconsin today with a Savage youth rifle in .243. Had a very good shot, cleaned off the top of the heart. 115 year shot

My nephew did the exact same thing with a 7mm REM. Magnum, exactly the same end result.

We use non premium bullets and keep them 90 grains or more. Seems to work well for us.

I'm sure Bob will echo my recommendation of using a 95gn BT Nosler projectile for most hunting applications where you use the mighty .243 Winchester

Sitting in the blind with my T/C Venture .243 as I type this. Using Hornady American Whitetail factory loads with 100 gr Interlocks. This has worked well for us.

View attachment 501282
View attachment 501283
There’s nothing wrong with a 243 but I can’t believe someone would trust their hunt to a Thompson Center venture! Hopefully yours is much more reliable than one I owned. Out of many issues, the biggest was after 10 or so shots at range and rifle warmed up, it liked to decock itself unless you cycled bolt with safety on. I was always worried to would fire switching safety to off.

I paid 73 dollars for Hornady American whitetail
I don’t know if it’s an option for you in Canada, but look at Norma’s whitetail line. I bought quite a few boxes at $30/box, seems like good quality ammo. Was actually cheapest I found available.

There’s nothing wrong with a 243 but I can’t believe someone would trust their hunt to a Thompson Center venture! Hopefully yours is much more reliable than one I owned. Out of many issues, the biggest was after 10 or so shots at range and rifle warmed up, it liked to decock itself unless you cycled bolt with safety on. I was always worried to would fire switching safety to off.
I bought this rifle used back in 2014 and I had heard that there had been an issue with them. So of course I asked the owner of the shop about it. He assured me that it was sound and showed me the engraved dot that indicated that this rifle had been recalled and whatever needed to be inspected was sound. In any case it has been very reliable and has taken a handful of deer and several coyotes with it. I mainly had it for my wife but in the last two years she has taken a shine to my Tikka T3 7mm RM and I usually use my beloved Browning BLR in .308 so the T/C has collected a bit of dust. I just decided to use it this year to rib Bob about it to be honest! This could be the last year with it as I am really considering trading it for a 7mm-08. Anyway it has been a good rifle for us with no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois