Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

The 358 Norma mag is proof that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. This coming from a 35 caliber junky. 35 rem eat right up to the hole, 358 winchester more range eat right up to the whole as long as you stay away from the shoulder bones. 35 Whelen when you need it dead right now. 358 Norma mag when you want to blow it up. I do love those 35’s.
“I do love those 35s”. Maybe you need to add a .350 Remington Magnum to your collection? Another cartridge I’m interested in and actually found some new RCBS dies for it awhile back.

“I do love those 35s”. Maybe you need to add a .350 Remington Magnum to your collection? Another cartridge I’m interested in and actually found some new RCBS dies for it awhile back.
Never been a fan of magnum cartridges I like 5 rounds available should I need them. Of course I have never needed them but I like knowing I have them if the SHTF.

Well, Elmer Keith once stated the .375 H and H was a “good whitetail cartridge”, when once asked about it. He’s the expert, so? Buy two boxes! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Yeah Elmer also shot deer at 600 yards with a 44magnum pistol. Different era but bigger is always better as long as you can shoot them accurately. Hunters nowadays want laser beam trajectories to shoot 690 yards which would be OK if they had practiced at that range and could hit what they were shooting at. The facts remain that most game is still taken at less than 200 yards. Give me a Whelen over a 300 win mag every day of the week and twice on Sunday (Mic drop)

Thought about it but at Normas $75 a box I demurred.
Good point about the cost, but standard ‘06, .270, .308 cartridges here (if you can find any) are going for $40-50 box and you couldn’t hunt EITHER whitetail or buffalo with those? Ha! Ha!

Can honestly say I don’t own a 243 and don’t miss it. If the 250 hadn’t come along I was going to send the barrel to JES to make it a 358 winchester. Hmmmmm
That's the best solution for a .243! ;)

Update on the original post:
The stock came back from Richards microfit yesterday. It will need some fitting and sanding. Barrel needs to be chambered. I'll probably have it cerakoted as well.
20210730_132028.jpg

Update on the original post:
The stock came back from Richards microfit yesterday. It will need some fitting and sanding. Barrel needs to be chambered. I'll probably have it cerakoted as well.View attachment 415760
@hunting gold
Noice piece of wood mate. Quite a few grades better than a fence post. You will end up making it to nice to use.
If you want a nice oil finish try Linspeed ( yes it is the correct spelling googe it) it is excellent stuff and when it is finished use Gilleys gunwax and polish.
Bob

A US made kipp rifle in .35 WH is something to have a look at also. Looks like a nifty one.

@PerH
My mate Greg had one and loved it but sold it like a silly Vegemite. Beautifully accurate moa or less.
Bob

A US made kipp rifle in .35 WH is something to have a look at also. Looks like a nifty one.

@PerH
Just watched the complete video performance was the same as Greg's rifle but his didn't have the muzzle brake. No wonder he thought the recoil was like the 7/08 plus the lead sled. The Remington ammo a 2,460fps is good but I wonder how he would go with the 250s at 2,700fps instead. They are a great rifle for the price. Another person I know got the 44mag and had it rechambered for the 444 marlin another awesome round.
Bob

Hey Bob,
A guy I work with is having a .35 Whelen built on a P14 action. He said his gunsmith is putting on a Bartlein? barrel on it. He'll be the first person that I'll personally know who has a Whelen.
CEH
You will be envious when he does.
You know you want one.
If the US ammo shortage wasn't enough all popular cartridges are on backorder with production of .35 Whelen ammunition being given priority.
It's now considered the perfect Deer cartridge and all rounder for the US used on anything from Whitetail to bear defense for Hikers.
Bob has truly enlightened his disciples causing chaos for American manufacturing and causing an excess in Tomato stakes available at any good gunstore.

You will be envious when he does.
You know you want one.
If the US ammo shortage wasn't enough all popular cartridges are on backorder with production of .35 Whelen ammunition being given priority.
It's now considered the perfect Deer cartridge and all rounder for the US used on anything from Whitetail to bear defense for Hikers.
Bob has truly enlightened his disciples causing chaos for American manufacturing and causing an excess in Tomato stakes available at any good gunstore.
And so it is written...

My .35 Whelen build has stalled for a number of reasons. I hope to get it back on track soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross