Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

Skinnersblade

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Then what should I do with the one for my Browning A Bolt .338WM? Actually, I have two three rounders.
Polish them up nicely round up all of your components and dies and trade them in on a .35 Whalen. There’s really no other answer.

jpr9954

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.onlygunsandmoney.com
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI
Over the last 5 years or so I have bought several Sportsman 78 rifles to be used for donor actions. One has already been converted to a 280 Ackley Improved. The above rifle will be rebarrelled and restocked as a 35 Whelen. As you can see, I found a jug of Bob's favorite, CFE223. I have the brass and will buy more this morning. I found the appropriate bullets in an estate and the used dies at a gun store. The wood will be sent to Richards microfit and carved into the 102 classic style.View attachment 396422

I thought Bob would like to know I'm moving forward.View attachment 396423
If you found a decent Sportsman 78 in .30-06, would it be worth reboring to 9.3x62? The more I think about that caliber, the more I'm tempted.

HuntingGold

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
South Africa, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
I don't know a thing about the 9.3 x 64 other than what I catch in passing on here. However, why not? Fooling with guns is always fun.
Ive been watching gunbroker and as we all know, prices of everything have shot up this last year. I think I bought my last 78 for 260 plus shipping. Now they are much more.

jpr9954

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.onlygunsandmoney.com
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI
I don't know a thing about the 9.3 x 64 other than what I catch in passing on here. However, why not? Fooling with guns is always fun.
Ive been watching gunbroker and as we all know, prices of everything have shot up this last year. I think I bought my last 78 for 260 plus shipping. Now they are much more.
I think the 9.3x62 is called the poor man's .375 H&H. Building one on a Sportsman 78 would be fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
That's what a five round detachable magazine is for! Ha! Ha!
By detachable you mean loseable and not further usable...right?
I cant stand with you on the detachable magazine @CoElkHunter
I haven't needed one for my 7400 yet while hunting. It's only lovely for easy unloading. Most hunting rifles make too much noise for more than a few follow up shots. I do not support any government telling anyone how many rounds they can have available at any given time. Especially when they abandon belt fed weapons...
I saw you were saying x64 and the other guy was saying x62. I am sure you are aware that the 62 is the more common variety of the two. The 64 would be neat as it would be more powerful by a bit than the 62, but no cheap bullet supply like the .35.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadaexies

Latest profile posts

Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?
Defosse wrote on Kouprey's profile.
Hello Kouprey,

I'm the little little son of Louis Defosse and i'm living in Saigon VIetnam. I'm trying to find some information about ma family and i saw your post where you wrote the Defosse family. Please i'm really interested to know more and share all your information about my family. I tried to find some in Vietnam but very difficult. Please i will be happy to read you soon.

Regards,

Stéphane Defosse