Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

Walk towards the bright light, bring an empty cup and @Bob Nelson 35Whelen will fill it for you on the way to the Colonel’s promise land. ;) I’ve only emailed Bob about a hunt reference and we didn’t talk about the 35, but his handle has me researching late at night about this magical cartridge. I have to go now, I hear an Australian accent voice coming from the bright light. It’s calling me. ;)

Bring Townsend Nelson an empty cup and he’ll fil it for you with Bundy! Probably several times over. Then when your inebriated enough, he’ll convince you to buy a .35 Whelen.
@CoElkHunter
I will even provide the vegemite sandwiches mate.
Bob

I wish I would have seen this post before I started mine!
A lot of good info here!
Let’s keep it going guys!

Hawk
@ Hawkeyesatx
Here's another load for you to ponder. Makes the 338 win mag look silly.
Bob

20210607_062606.jpg

@hunting Gold
How's that 35 coming on mate?
Bob
Its in the holding pattern. Gunny had some health issues pop up. No rush. I'm also waiting for the stock to get shipped back...

We were bombing along fast.... Then stuff happens. All will be well.

@CBH
Chris a man who owns a Whelen and has the good sense to have NEVER owned a 243 has my utmost respect.
I can't figure a pump gun in Whelen when you should only need one shot with a Whelen if you do your part. If'n you can't do it either learn to shoot or use a different r rifle.
Bob
Bob, I guess a Pump has its advantages in the scrub or on mob of pigs. Horse's for courses.

I know the pump Action Whelen is a factory option. The .308 pumps are plentiful here and the cases are cheaper of you lose them.

There have been times I could have used a pump but i don't own one. Problem is each hunt is different and a good bolt rifle will do most of the time.

I've gone looking for pigs and shot a fox instead I mostly hunt pests so another successful hunt complete.

@CBH
Chris a man who owns a Whelen and has the good sense to have NEVER owned a 243 has my utmost respect.
I can't figure a pump gun in Whelen when you should only need one shot with a Whelen if you do your part. If'n you can't do it either learn to shoot or use a different r rifle.
Bob
Bob the 7600 in 35 Whalen is popular with Pennsylvania bear hunters as the hilly terrain there is covered with a tall brushy plant called mountain laurel. It is similar to rhododendrun so they try to get as much lead in the bear as possible before it disappears in the brush. Not much call for it other than Alaska and Pennsylvania.

Bob the 7600 in 35 Whalen is popular with Pennsylvania bear hunters as the hilly terrain there is covered with a tall brushy plant called mountain laurel. It is similar to rhododendrun so they try to get as much lead in the bear as possible before it disappears in the brush. Not much call for it other than Alaska and Pennsylvania.
And for Bear I'm sure the Whelen is a better choice than .308

How well does StaBall 6.5, or RL-26 work in the 35 Whalen?

Hawk

One of the reasons I went with a new barrel as opposed to a rebore is to go to 24 or 25 inches. Whether it was necessary or not... I don't know.

I too would recommend going with a new barrel. That way you can get the profile you want and perhaps a little extra weight. I put a 24" barrel on mine.

According to QuickLoad RL 26 doesn't work. You need a much faster powder. I use IMR- 4064, Bob Nelson uses CFE- 223.

Will a 22 inch barrel suffice for a 35 Whelen?
Does it lose that much velocity with a 22 inch barrel?

Hawk
That’s one of the beauties of the 35 caliber, it doesn’t lose as much velocity with shorter barrels as smaller calibers. My 20” barrel Mannlicher still hits like Thor’s hammer. Ask any Marlin users how the dumpy little 35 remington works for them. Or any 358 winchester aficionados.

i use the 7600 with a trijicon post scope extensively here in wv , mainly for driving deer and bear hunting as well as hog hunting in fl and louisana, its very nice having a rapid follow up. devastating results too.
@Tgood1
I've tried driving pig and deer but had a problem finding where to put the key and I couldn't find the stick shift. The may have been the automatic model..
I've never had a problem with a bolt gun on big mobs especially with an SMLE. With the SMLE I managed to get 14 shots off before the pigs were out of range when I was younger.
Bob.

How well does StaBall 6.5, or RL-26 work in the 35 Whalen?

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
I don't know about Steagall but RL26 is far to slow. H4350 is the slowest you can go and that's only with the 310 grain. Varget,RL15 and 4064 class of powder works well but H CFE223 is the best I have found.
Bob

Holy Cow! A 250 gr bullet going 2600-2700 fps?!?
That’s outstanding!! That’s 3754-4048 ft-lbs of muzzle energy!
WOW!

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
In my rifle I get 2,850 to 2,950 fps with 225 grainers . That's up to 4,300 plus of muzzle energy. Try putting that in your pipe and smoking it.
Bob

@Tgood1
I've tried driving pig and deer but had a problem finding where to put the key and I couldn't find the stick shift. The may have been the automatic model..
I've never had a problem with a bolt gun on big mobs especially with an SMLE. With the SMLE I managed to get 14 shots off before the pigs were out of range when I was younger.
Bob.
Baaahaha ,There is a designated place for the key opposite the nose and you reach under to shift. It's easier after a few pints.

One of the reasons I went with a new barrel as opposed to a rebore is to go to 24 or 25 inches. Whether it was necessary or not... I don't know.
My choice as well. I have two 35W and love them. The longer barrel adds weight yes, but also adds stability on sticks or offhand. Not mention tweaks the last bit of velocity from the round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg