Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
After reading a lot of criticism of the Blaser, most I think generated by Wieland when he isn't indulging in his Rigby crusade, I finally decided to get one ::cool: Contrarian I suppose. So to the negatives first. It looks like a really big rifle. Blaser's design "floats" the barrels within sleeves and then sets them pretty far apart. The result is industrial rather than elegant. The gun also has an automatic safety/decocker which sounds like a metal garden gate slamming shut when it engages (i.e. fire one shot and then open the action to reload the one barrel). That pretty much sums up the negatives. Now to the positives - this thing will shoot. I have a two barrel set with the heavy caliber is 500/416. The rifle puts a LRxLR into 2 inches at seventy yards with monotonous regularity with very little perceived recoil. I had Hendershots send over three loads - A-Frames, TSX, and Kynoch solid. All three went into four inches right on the front sight. The second set is in 9.3x74 and I've put a scope on that set and have yet to shoot them. Like the K-guns, the Blaser uses a cocker rather than a safety. It is the safest system for following PH and trackers and is quiet and easy to use with the exception noted above. Sights are fabulous (any my 60 year old eyes can actually use are a revelation), and the gun comes up like one of my pigeon guns. I am thrilled.

Congratulations! those S2 look good, some of the wood and side plates on those rifles are amazing. I have shoot a few as well and they seemed to be acurate. I have several of the Blaser bolt rifles and they are all very good. The safety/ de-cocker and the barrel sleeve is what stopped me from buying one. But that is just me. I like ejectors on a double as well.

Red Leg good to see you like your new rifle and are getting on with it so well. i personally dont like blaser and krieghoff doubles, but it would be boring if we all liked the same things. i do like the two sets of barrels though, and you have the bonus of being able to use the irons as well. enjoy :beer: p.s. would you have been so keen to get one if wieland hadnt been so negative about them?

Red Leg good to see you like your new rifle and are getting on with it so well. i personally dont like blaser and krieghoff doubles, but it would be boring if we all liked the same things. i do like the two sets of barrels though, and you have the bonus of being able to use the irons as well. enjoy :beer: p.s. would you have been so keen to get one if wieland hadnt been so negative about them?

LOL probably not - but glad I did.

I guess industrial must work well then.

Pretty won't save you in the bush.

Glad your purchase has worked out well.

Congretulations.
A reality for you ... a dream for me ...:praying: :daydreaming:
Tilting block lock : the best way.:thumb:

But why the 500/416 ? Your opinion 500/416 vs 470 NE please.

Congrat's Red Leg! Almost went the Blaser route too. Glad your pleased!

Congretulations.
A reality for you ... a dream for me ...:praying: :daydreaming:
Tilting block lock : the best way.:thumb:

But why the 500/416 ? Your opinion 500/416 vs 470 NE please.

I don't believe a buff or elephant could tell the difference, but I am real fan of the Rigby and the 500/416 duplicates it in a rimmed round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross