Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?

We are a Blaser family and have a two with exceptional timber...my F3 at the top and my bride with her R8 Intuition (made for women) in the middle. The synthetics are identical with the exception of the calibers. Bottom is my lightweight 375 and middle is the 22lr with a suppressor. Yes, they are attractive indeed.
View attachment 447031
Who did the threading for your .22 barrel?

That is a nice combo of guns! And the zebra hide has more black that white up front, very nice.

To settle this once and for all, can someone lend a R8 to the Zimbabwe Proficiency Exam? It seems like every make and model have failed during it.

In the same vein as C.W. Richter's comment re. challenging a bit things...

I am amused that just because NWT decided to title his thread "Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?" folks automatically assume that he speaks God's revealed truth.
:S Kneel:

Allow me to laugh at this assumption :E Rofl:

I do not know about Alaskan Bear Guides, so I won't say, but I noted once that before he was paid to carry a Nosler rifle Jim Shockey hunted with a R8, and I even spied it in the bakkie's rack in one relatively recent episode when he hunted Buffalo with the muzzleloader he was then paid to use ;):ROFLMAO:

But I do know a few African PHs and I can tell you that most do not CHOOSE not to use a Blaser R8, they simply cannot afford it, or more accurately, its advantages are simply not worth their money. Period. End of discussion.
:V Bangin:

This is something that I really understand, because I personally struggled with the R8 price myself, and only decided that it was worth my money because I am a TRAVELING HUNTER WHO WANTS TO PACK 3 CALIBERS TO AFRICA IN A GUN CASE THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MAXIMUM 62" LINEAR DIMENSION AND MAXIMUM 50 LBS. WEIGHT AIRLINES REQUIREMENTS.
:S Beat Dead Horse:

Admittedly, THIS is NOT a critical requirement for most African PHs and Alaskan Bear Guides, hence it is not worth their money. Again, period, end of discussion.
:V Bangin:

Sure, some PHs and Guides probably have strong feelings against the R8 due to the usual (no CRF, a lot of plastic, etc. etc.) - like some still mourn the Colt 1911 as standard issue and poopoo the Glock - but I suspect that these folks make a very limited percentage of those African PHs and Alaskan Bear Guides who just believe - rightly I might add - that a $1,500 debugged Winchester 70 or CZ 550 in .375 or .458 is all the tool they need to back their clients, and see no earthly need to spend more :E Shrug:

And yes, some outfitters/owners/PHs can afford the R8, and by the way one sees them more and more as rifle for hire in Africa, with Zeiss or Swaro glass in general, but the vast majority of young, or not so young, PHs simply do not earn enough from hunting for a R8 to be on the shopping list, and a Toyota Landcruiser ranks much higher. Something that I understand quite well (y):)

It is like arguing that because most African PHs or Alaskan Guides do not drive in town with a BMW or Mercedes coupe, it must mean that Beemers and Benz are pieces of crap. Laughable...
:A Gathering:
Until the BeeMaa factory got (exceedingly late) on-board with 4wd and AWD, I used to LMAO at countless "J-Canoes" as they call 'em in toxic wasteland NJ, wiped out up/down the road (in the snow/rain) otw to and fro working for the man, once upon a time. One current client has a nice, high end BeeMaa 4wd (that his wife in NJ paid for! LMAO) but he can keep it, as it's useless on my fam farms, on backroads in deep mud/snow, and it doesn't pay the med-school bills for my kids! I can beat him in a race w/ a Honda RC211V for less, but more skill. Conspicuous consumption makes up for shortcomings....Now, for the 65K+ USD PHs pay for quality Toyota diesel 4wd rigs over in Africa, I'd be happy to send you some BMWs for use in the bush! 'Any takers? :p For the same amount of $, a dedicated hunter can acquire a custom American rifle built by hand, with better wood, metal, trigger, attention to detail (bedding, scope leveling, action truing, etc. etc.) My 7th sense marketing BS indicator is pegged here. Every single one of my American bolt action rifles, excepting 1 with worn out from use rifling, shoots perfectly and flawlessly every time. Only a required test firing in camp. Handloading will save a bundle on factory ammo (which is NOT as accurate as DIY!) so you can fire away in pre-practice. But, if you're going on a $10K+ safari, a few % spent on factory ammo. by the average hunter should not be a worry.

Last edited:
I think what frustrates most R8 owners is that the most outspoken critics of the rifle, like the originator of this thread, have never held, fired, or likely even seen an actual R8. They have allegedly heard or read someone say something negative, and have assumed it must be the truth. Please note our OP didn't really ask a question, but instead made a negative assertion about the rifle's lack of suitability for DG.

The other usual critic owns a CeeZeeRemwinburg and demands validation that it is "just as good" as a R8.

This is a unique forum because it counts among its members quite a few actual R8 owners who have extensive experience with the rifle. That experience often includes dangerous game. Should it be surprise that such assertions generate informed responses?

I am fortunate to own and hunt with a large number of rifles. I love just about all of them. I was in Zambia in August with a Rigby; I shot my last two whitetail with a custom Bradshaw and an Al Lind; and I'll likely bring either my Craig Libhart .404 or William Douglas & Son .470 on my next buffalo hunt. But my "best", most consistently accurate, most practical, and easily transportable rifle is my R8 - by a significant margin.

I should also note, in synthetic guise, it is my "beater" rifle. It is impervious to almost anything.

I will not argue the aesthetics point. I think they can be a quite handsome rifle, but as you correctly note that is opinion. One of mine in its "classic sporter" stock. But aesthetically pleasing or not, it is simply superb.

R8 Gun Case
I'll take a low-mileage Dakota takedown, myself. Buy American (esp. w/ the current @$$hats in-charge! :) The argument of the other re: the price of ammo. ? ?? ??? If you're over-paying for a mass-produced rifle, you can either afford the ammo (or you're "house-rich, pocket poor.") LOL We the People suspect that some of the posters are involved in Sales & Marketing of such things, and we don't subscribe. ;) Is the R8 mentioned in any of Kevin Robertson's books on preparing for an African hunt? :p

Who did the threading for your .22 barrel?

That is a nice combo of guns! And the zebra hide has more black that white up front, very nice.
Van at Top Dog Guns Global ordered several of the Blaser 22lr kits and had them threaded all at the same time. I'm not sure who he used.

'Taking 500 level statistics some years back as part of a rather rigorous training for profit, certain things stick out like the proverbial red thumb! In over 1100 posts, 3 dislikes have been logged by 1 person, at the very same time, over a several year-without-incident period, regarding 1 post, on 1 product most Americans will never, ever consider. It has the same name as CCI's cheapest ammo, so it MUST be pronounced entirely differently! :p So, by my calculations, statistically rounded to ZERO by those in the know, the rather biased flaggings amount to essentially 0.002. LOL What does it remind us of? Those politicians and their sponsors that spout about Chinavirus! Please spare us! We can only laugh so much. Yes, selling meds to the avg person works over time if you beat it into their heads. We are not your audience, at all.

'Taking 500 level statistics some years back as part of a rather rigorous training for profit, certain things stick out like the proverbial red thumb! In over 1100 posts, 3 dislikes have been logged by 1 person, at the very same time, over a several year-without-incident period, regarding 1 post, on 1 product most Americans will never, ever consider. It has the same name as CCI's cheapest ammo, so it MUST be pronounced entirely differently! :p So, by my calculations, statistically rounded to ZERO by those in the know, the rather biased flaggings amount to essentially 0.002. LOL What does it remind us of? Those politicians and their sponsors that spout about Chinavirus! Please spare us! We can only laugh so much. Yes, selling meds to the avg person works over time if you beat it into their heads. We are not your audience, at all.
Wow, I guess I dont understand the above few posts.

IOW, BS. ;) (translation) Although i type >100 wpm, there's a limit to the amount of detail I'll waste my energy on, especially if the topic du jour is entirely BS (for the sale.) It was a 30,000 ft perspective-the forest from the trees, and using analogies...CCI blaser pistol ammo ($10) lol Sorry-the Americans will surely get it! Keep on, keeping on!

I'll take a low-mileage Dakota takedown, myself. Buy American (esp. w/ the current @$$hats in-charge! :) The argument of the other re: the price of ammo. ? ?? ??? If you're over-paying for a mass-produced rifle, you can either afford the ammo (or you're "house-rich, pocket poor.") LOL We the People suspect that some of the posters are involved in Sales & Marketing of such things, and we don't subscribe. ;) Is the R8 mentioned in any of Kevin Robertson's books on preparing for an African hunt? :p
Quick! Give KR a viggie ($) for his next book!!! L O L 'Murica

I think it is possible he starts drinking this time of evening. :unsure: :D Beer Draft:

I have no clue what he is talking about.

I think it is possible he starts drinking this time of evening. :unsure: :D Beer Draft:

I have no clue what he is talking about.
Thank you for not understanding. LOL! With one prominent Univeristy professor as 1 parent and a West Point dad that fast became same on the GI Bill, I get that-sometimes. L O L # of posts does not represent omnipitence, but that of which I speak, is TRUTH. ;) There are terms regarding this tactic, both military and marketing, and i subscribe to neither.

Thank you for not understanding. LOL! With one prominent Univeristy professor as 1 parent and a West Point dad that fast became same on the GI Bill, I get that-sometimes. L O L # of posts does not represent omnipitence, but that of which I speak, is TRUTH. ;) There are terms regarding this tactic, both military and marketing, and i subscribe to neither.
I'll break it down in simple phonics whenceforth I'm not making $ by not taking advantage of anyone. ;) lol

My guess is the #1 reason is the same reason most arent toting around Rigby made guns or Merkel doubles..

There arent a whole lot of wealthy African PH's or NA bear guides out there.. The R8 is likely outside their financial means..

There is a reason CZ's are incredibly popular among African PH's... and its not their reputation for reliability out of the box.. Its because they are affordable hard use tools that are practical for guys that make working mans wages... Same goes for the popularity of Winchester, Kimber, Ruger, etc. among bear guides...

Outfitters can make a very nice living if they run/manage a successful lodge...

I've met a few hundred PH's at this point.. and a handful of Alaskan and Wyoming bear guides.. While they are all living the dream.. none of them have the sort of disposable income to invest in an R8..

Most I know that have really nice gear (swaro optics and binos, custom knives, etc..) were gifted those items by happy clients.. they didnt buy those items either... they simply cant afford them..

Thats not to say theyre outside the reach of all PH's... there are certainly some guys that have been in the business a long time, that have saved their money, etc.. and have managed to hoarde enough cash to pick up a nice double or a london bolt gun..

But its not like the guys that do that sort of work for a living do it for the money... the ones that have "expensive" guns are the exception, not the rule...
Absolutely true mate

If the Blaser R8 was the technological mechanical break through some think it is, why wouldn’t the people who hunt for a living
not use the Blaser R8?
The Blaser is an amazing gun I am not sure the technological breakthroughs are tactical. I think that if one decided one wanted to create a firearm of entirely novel form, that would address a variety of problems, and then executed on that design in such a masterful way that out of the blue the gun achieved a significant market share in it's niche, that would be a breakthrough. But at a tactical level, in support of one's that finds one afield, I don't see any meaningful advances. Though I suppose one could argue the tactical advantages of skirting a regulatory environment that is prejudiced against the ownership or importation of multiple rifles...

I assume that the breakthrough in performance hinted, if I discard those of no in the field tactical importance, would come down to slightly higher rates of fire than with a bolt action:

1) This assumes that such is:

a) achievable:

b) the margin is significant, and not ruled out by a fact such as that reacquiring the sights is actually the thing that determines rate of fire. With reloading a No 1, for example, it can be an entirely different step, mostly not handled from the shoulder, and the result is that reloading and firing are in series, not in parallel. But with something like a semi auto, the task is handled so quickly it can be the sights that determine speed, with a heavy recoiling rifles. A slightly faster or slower version might not be a breakthrough.

c) Equally fast rifles have been long available. From Winchesters that did reach Africa back in the 19th century, to guns like the Ross. The Blaser is available in more stopping options, but that is not a breakthrough technology it is just a scaling factor.

Then there is the whole cheat thing. I have no idea what people in Africa think about making dangerous game shooting (the actual shooting) less sporting. In this regard, the Blaser seems to me like a large arbor reel in fly fishing. When I started in that sport in the 70s, it was regarded as poor form, for the most part, to use a multiplier reel. But with CNC came large arbor reels that were often also spectacularly beautiful, and the dis on reels designed to more rapidly pick up line disappeared without a whisper. People do not seem to be offended by the Blaser messing with the efficiency in the speed/cartridges on had thing, that it offers. And if they are not, why are not, at least the protection crew on a safari, allowed to carry semi autos in non-military calibers, such as the many rifles chambered for 9.3x62?

The late “ Ganyana “ / Don Heath ( towards the end of his life ) was a very outspoken advocate of the Blaser R-8 in .500 Jeffery , as a dangerous game backup rifle . This gentleman man used to be an assessor for the professional hunting examinations in Zimbabwe .
The problem with someone of Don's massive experience is that over the years he said a lot of things. I did come across a pro R8 quote. It was only one comment, if he covered it more completely in the Accuracy forums, I would love to see that. It was, however, framed in the context of his belief that in order to outclass the 9.3x62 in his hands, that on elephant he needed at least a 500 Jeff. Cartridges in between those two he favoured, he did not believe had enough knock out energy to make a move from the 9.3 of any benefit. He could get all the killing power he needed out of the 9.3, but as with the time that elephant stumbled forward onto him, the 9.3 lacked the stopping power. So was the Blaser a means to getting a 500 Jeff, not so much to getting a second shot?

Towards that, consider the following video where he speaks at what you need in your hands when an elephant is on final approach, about to cross the 6 yard line, at 35 mph:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you