Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?

I certainly agree you can train to be quick with an R8. Just not quicker than a pistol draw. However, if wrong, I'd gladly watch a video of you performing them as that would be a feat not to miss.
Oh, you don’t want video of me doing anything. Not around lunchtime. If I think I need the R8 in the deep stuff, the magazine is ready. But most of the time it’ll be the PSD. Not much that the F9 cannot dispatch

Oh, you don’t want video of me doing anything. Not around lunchtime. If I think I need the R8 in the deep stuff, the magazine is ready. But most of the time it’ll be the PSD. Not much that the F9 cannot dispatch
Got a few boxes of the F9 a few weeks back. I'll be using them on some piggies soon. 20" penetration of fbi density ballistics gel, 4 layers of denim, and 2" of bone...at 100 meters...testing is impressive for sure.

. Lord I wish, Blaser, CZ, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Steyr Mannlicher, Sauer, Sony Camera, Mauser, Streamlight, Puma, etc. would have sent me a check every time I said something good about them...
:A Gathering:
Try Remington, Hornady or even Marlin!

:cool:

HWL

I was not sure if this was a joke or not, but since dchamp answered, I will too. I certainly do NOT feel like I have to "justify" myself, but if someone would have taken this question seriously, they could wish for an answer. And why not!?!?

The straight answer is: oh I only wish! :E Rofl:

No TV show for me, no publication, no free rifle, no discount, no check, no kickback, no free safari, no Lord knows what, NO NOTHING...

You can track every Blaser component I own with Mark Schrader of Mad Dog Gun, the largest Blaser on-line dealer (see GunBroker.com) and Bob Turkovich at Cove Creek Outfitter (the lowest price retailer that I know of in the US - I bought my first R8 Pro .375 H&H from him for $3,000 (now $3,300 in any standard barrel caliber up to .375 H&H). I always paid full public price with both :cry:

Keeping a sharp eye out for "used-as new" deals...

The only break I ever got on a Blaser component was not a kickback break but a lucky break in a private transaction when I bought "used-as new" my R8 PH stock (steel receiver) on GunBroker from a guy who had bought it because he wanted a 22 mm channel for a .223 match barrel and realized a week later that he could get one easily with an alloy receiver. He asked $2,000 for the stock (the price for his replacement alloy receiver stock), and I jumped on it because MSRP for the steel receiver stock that I wanted for a .458 Lott barrel was $4,500 ($4,888 today) :love:

Knowing what to buy...

The only person I know at Blaser is Andrej Gorjup their Gunsmith and Technical Service Manager, and the only two reasons I know him is that I pestered him a few times to get answers to my questions before I bought a R8 (my main issue was: do you need a steel receiver stock to shoot DG calibers, yes or no? Turns out that no you do NOT! Steel only brings weight not strength. This was the turning point for me because I could get a R8 .375 for $3,000 (now $3,300), and NOT $7,500 or whatever it was) :A Phone:

He later cut down 1.5" from my wife's R8 Pro stock, very well I might add, but he certainly charged me for it

My own rationale...

I have shared it a few times, my own rationale is traveling with 3 calibers to Africa. And sure I can schlep a monster gun trunk as well as the next guy, and I can pay the oversize and overweight fee as much as the next guy - and I guess that there are also guys who like to be bound and flogged during sex - but I do not have a masochistic streak a mile wide...

Final thought...

I expect that Blaser probably does not like me very much. Sure, I did what many probably view as a positive review, but I was very objective on what the rifle offers and does not offer, and I explained why I cared for, or not, each characteristic. But I continue to critic severely Blaser for their pricing strategy of whatever relates to Africa being 3x more expensive than standard components. I have said it, and I say it again, to me it is taking advantage of the African safari clientele (because it is assumed to be wealthy, I presume).

I was not in the market for a $7,500 Blaser .375 H&H but I was a happy buyer of a $3,000 ($3,300 today) Blaser .375 H&H. I see it as well worth MY money. After all it is only $300 more than an upgraded & tuned up CZ 550 (of which I still happily own 3) :)

View attachment 446857

To each our own. It really does not affect my life one way or another what other people shoot. I just enjoy AfricaHunting.com as a cheap therapy to retain a modicum of sanity waiting for the next big plane to Africa...
:A Camping:

If sharing what I know helps others go to Africa, it just makes me happy because it pushes back that day when all hunting will finally be outlawed, everywhere. If my experience, choices, logic, etc. is not useful, folks are free to ignore my choices and my rationales. Lord I wish, Blaser, CZ, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Steyr Mannlicher, Sauer, Sony Camera, Mauser, Streamlight, Puma, etc. would have sent me a check every time I said something good about them...
I was not sure if this was a joke or not, but since dchamp answered, I will too. I certainly do NOT feel like I have to "justify" myself, but if someone would have taken this question seriously, they could wish for an answer. And why not!?!?

The straight answer is: oh I only wish! :E Rofl:

No TV show for me, no publication, no free rifle, no discount, no check, no kickback, no free safari, no Lord knows what, NO NOTHING...

You can track every Blaser component I own with Mark Schrader of Mad Dog Gun, the largest Blaser on-line dealer (see GunBroker.com) and Bob Turkovich at Cove Creek Outfitter (the lowest price retailer that I know of in the US - I bought my first R8 Pro .375 H&H from him for $3,000 (now $3,300 in any standard barrel caliber up to .375 H&H). I always paid full public price with both :cry:

Keeping a sharp eye out for "used-as new" deals...

The only break I ever got on a Blaser component was not a kickback break but a lucky break in a private transaction when I bought "used-as new" my R8 PH stock (steel receiver) on GunBroker from a guy who had bought it because he wanted a 22 mm channel for a .223 match barrel and realized a week later that he could get one easily with an alloy receiver. He asked $2,000 for the stock (the price for his replacement alloy receiver stock), and I jumped on it because MSRP for the steel receiver stock that I wanted for a .458 Lott barrel was $4,500 ($4,888 today) :love:

Knowing what to buy...

The only person I know at Blaser is Andrej Gorjup their Gunsmith and Technical Service Manager, and the only two reasons I know him is that I pestered him a few times to get answers to my questions before I bought a R8 (my main issue was: do you need a steel receiver stock to shoot DG calibers, yes or no? Turns out that no you do NOT! Steel only brings weight not strength. This was the turning point for me because I could get a R8 .375 for $3,000 (now $3,300), and NOT $7,500 or whatever it was) :A Phone:

He later cut down 1.5" from my wife's R8 Pro stock, very well I might add, but he certainly charged me for it

My own rationale...

I have shared it a few times, my own rationale is traveling with 3 calibers to Africa. And sure I can schlep a monster gun trunk as well as the next guy, and I can pay the oversize and overweight fee as much as the next guy - and I guess that there are also guys who like to be bound and flogged during sex - but I do not have a masochistic streak a mile wide...

Final thought...

I expect that Blaser probably does not like me very much. Sure, I did what many probably view as a positive review, but I was very objective on what the rifle offers and does not offer, and I explained why I cared for, or not, each characteristic. But I continue to critic severely Blaser for their pricing strategy of whatever relates to Africa being 3x more expensive than standard components. I have said it, and I say it again, to me it is taking advantage of the African safari clientele (because it is assumed to be wealthy, I presume).

I was not in the market for a $7,500 Blaser .375 H&H but I was a happy buyer of a $3,000 ($3,300 today) Blaser .375 H&H. I see it as well worth MY money. After all it is only $300 more than an upgraded & tuned up CZ 550 (of which I still happily own 3) :)

View attachment 446857

To each our own. It really does not affect my life one way or another what other people shoot. I just enjoy AfricaHunting.com as a cheap therapy to retain a modicum of sanity waiting for the next big plane to Africa...
:A Camping:

If sharing what I know helps others go to Africa, it just makes me happy because it pushes back that day when all hunting will finally be outlawed, everywhere. If my experience, choices, logic, etc. is not useful, folks are free to ignore my choices and my rationales. Lord I wish, Blaser, CZ, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Steyr Mannlicher, Sauer, Sony Camera, Mauser, Streamlight, Puma, etc. would have sent me a check every time I said something good about them...
:A Gathering:
I don’t think you are the Blaser rep Pascal . Always enjoy your commentary. Lol!

Advocate of the R8, yes. Paid for such...I wish.

I own several Blaser (R8’s and F16) 3 x Rigby’s , plus I own and have owned several Remington, Winchester, Brno/CZ, Sako’s (75’s and 85’s and a T3.
The R8’s and the Rigby’s ….. and the Tikka T3 and a Sako 85 Black Bear are the only rifles I’ve shot straight out of the box and not had to sort out some issues.
The R8’s are not perfect for ever situation but they are that bloody close it’s not funny
I have no idea why Blaser’s cop soo much flak. And I really don’t care
A few years ago I had a fella tell me that he would never buy a Blaser as for the same money he could get 2 Sako’s. Last I heard he has sold a few Sako’s and bought a couple of R8’s.
I love shooting my R8’s and all of my other rifles too. Especially the Rigby’s

Not American, but there was this…View attachment 446855
@Aaron N
As a military rifle the Ross was failure because it couldn't handle the muddy trench warfare of WW1. Yes there were reports of the rifle being assembled incorrectly by some resulting in catastrophe but this couldn't be conclusively proven.
As a hunting rifle by all reports it was a fine and extremely accurate weapon firing a cartridge similar to the power of the 280 rem. What's not to like.
Bob

@Aaron N
As a military rifle the Ross was failure because it couldn't handle the muddy trench warfare of WW1. Yes there were reports of the rifle being assembled incorrectly by some resulting in catastrophe but this couldn't be conclusively proven.
As a hunting rifle by all reports it was a fine and extremely accurate weapon firing a cartridge similar to the power of the 280 rem. What's not to like.
Bob
The only thing not too like is that the prices seem to have jumped considerably in the last couple years. But I am looking at one at the moment and debating if it will be worth the hassle!

@Aaron N
Bob
Yeah, the unpleasant habit of the bolt going through the shooter's eye upon firing! I guess the Blaser 93 had the same issue at times?

Here we go........

:A Popcorn: :D Cool Drink:

I thought I read somewhere the Ross rifles had a nasty habit of having the bolt going through the shooter's eye upon firing? Maybe I'm mistaken?
It has been quoted and quoted again, but the people who have actually looked into it, can’t seem to find any reliable evidence of these instances happening. I could be wrong, but the story of the R93 is along those lines as well, no? Or the story of R8’s failing, I don’t think anyone has come forth saying their bolt got seized with dirt in 23 pages, have they? I haven’t gone back to the start.

It’s interesting in the gun world how rumours are spouted as god honest truths, or 50/70/100 year old limitations of the past are clung to, making certain rifles tomato stakes, even though with modern technology they are perfectly capable of doing what they were designed to.

The only thing not too like is that the prices seem to have jumped considerably in the last couple years. But I am looking at one at the moment and debating if it will be worth the hassle!
Come, come to the Dark side...

In all seriousness...you will be very pleasantly surprised.

I thought I read somewhere the Ross rifles had a nasty habit of having the bolt going through the shooter's eye upon firing? Maybe I'm mistaken?
It has been quoted and quoted again, but the people who have actually looked into it, can’t seem to find any reliable evidence of these instances happening. I could be wrong, but the story of the R93 is along those lines as well, no? Or the story of R8’s failing, I don’t think anyone has come forth saying their bolt got seized with dirt in 23 pages, have they? I haven’t gone back to the start.

It’s interesting in the gun world how rumours are spouted as god honest truths, or 50/70/100 year old limitations of the past are clung to, making certain rifles tomato stakes, even though with modern technology they are perfectly capable of doing what they were designed

Come, come to the Dark side...

In all seriousness...you will be very pleasantly surprised.
That was with regards to the Ross, but in 2015, while planning for my first Safari, I was considering buying one, I’m assuming cost deterred me, even though they were much cheaper back then. In my eye, they seem to be a great design, and a damn good looking rifle.

It’s interesting in the gun world how rumours are spouted as god honest truths, or 50/70/100 year old limitations of the past are clung to, making certain rifles tomato stakes, even though with modern technology they are perfectly capable of doing what they were designed

It’s interesting in the gun world how rumours are spouted as god honest truths, or 50/70/100 year old limitations of the past are clung to, making certain rifles tomato stakes, even though with modern technology they are perfectly capable of doing what they were designed to.
This is an excerpt from Wikipedia about the Ross rifle. Apparently the bolt issue wasn't a common occurrence but did happen due to improper reassembly of the bolt after cleaning. Then, this AH posting "Safety Warning" from 2014 about the Blaser R93. I don't own either rifle and whether any of this is true or not, I don't know. It seems the problems experienced with the R93 MAY have also been operator error. But, just as with a specific vehicle brand’s potential for mechanical/safety issues, it behooves one to do some research and make an informed decision before purchase.

Attachments

• CB2F3BDB-5339-462A-BF84-B1A863CC7E74.png
    CB2F3BDB-5339-462A-BF84-B1A863CC7E74.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • DB5AC4F4-B2C7-42D0-B98D-2BA80A4E2ED8.png
    DB5AC4F4-B2C7-42D0-B98D-2BA80A4E2ED8.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 84
This is an excerpt from Wikipedia about the Ross rifle. Apparently the bolt issue wasn't a common occurrence but did happen due to improper reassembly of the bolt after cleaning. Then, this AH posting "Safety Warning" from 2014 about the Blaser R93. I don't own either rifle and whether any of this is true or not, I don't know. It seems the problems experienced with the R93 MAY have also been operator error. But, just as with a specific vehicle brand’s potential for mechanical/safety issues, it behooves one to do some research and make an informed decision before purchase.
I do remember the post about the R93, but I don’t remember exactly what the incident was attributed to, or if any subsequent ones existed.

With regards to the Ross, Terry Wieland has a great write up about them in Great Hunting Rifles.

That was with regards to the Ross, but in 2015, while planning for my first Safari, I was considering buying one, I’m assuming cost deterred me, even though they were much cheaper back then. In my eye, they seem to be a great design, and a damn good looking rifle.
We are a Blaser family and have a two with exceptional timber...my F3 at the top and my bride with her R8 Intuition (made for women) in the middle. The synthetics are identical with the exception of the calibers. Bottom is my lightweight 375 and middle is the 22lr with a suppressor. Yes, they are attractive indeed.
1642391517891.png

Do the synthetics share a bolt @BeeMaa ?
The 22lr and my lightweight 375 share the same bolt housing and I change out the bolt heads when I want to shoot the 375 at the range or for hunting. Otherwise it stays at the ready for pest control at the house with the 22lr.

Good Lord forbid if I touch Mrs BeeMaa's rifle. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross