Blaser R8 In Large Calibers

Not that I could ever afford to buy a Blaser rifle, but reading here on AH, I see many different models of the Blaser mentioned. Could/would someone explain the differences between models? Thanks!

With the R8’s it’s mostly stock type one prefers, magnum vs non-magnum bolt head though those can be swapped out. You can only get above a 375 H&H with the traditional type stocks, not the thumb hole style. The rifle is designed to be modular but there are some limitations. There are quite a few barrel options available as well.

With the R8’s it’s mostly stock type one prefers, magnum vs non-magnum bolt head though those can be swapped out. You can only get above a 375 H&H with the traditional type stocks, not the thumb hole style. The rifle is designed to be modular but there are some limitations. There are quite a few barrel options available as well.
Thank you!

Not that I could ever afford to buy a Blaser rifle, but reading here on AH, I see many different models of the Blaser mentioned. Could/would someone explain the differences between models? Thanks!
Some models have a steel receiver. My model, the Kilombero, is one of them.
There are other differences such as stock material: synthetic or wood etc...
Blaser's website has all the details.

Thinking 4moa for Buff only mate, say out to 50 metres max. (y)

I have had a Aimpoint Micro H1 on my 404 Jeffery for in excess of 700 shots, nothing ever went wrong, just make sure if you change the battery cover it is tightened up ALL the way.

I will most definitely also recommend the 2MOA above the 4MOA.

I have had a Aimpoint Micro H1 on my 404 Jeffery for in excess of 700 shots, nothing ever went wrong, just make sure if you change the battery cover it is tightened up ALL the way.

I will most definitely also recommend the 2MOA above the 4MOA.

Yeah I had a look though a 4moa the other day, I'll stick with the 2moa now. Nice calibre the 404 Jeff, hopefully I'll get one for my R8 one day. (y)

Some models have a steel receiver. My model, the Kilombero, is one of them.
There are other differences such as stock material: synthetic or wood etc...
Blaser's website has all the detailsu .
Difference between R8, R93, etc. ? It’s a moot for me, cause I could never afford one, but I would still like to know. I saw a brand new Blaser at a gun show in the early ‘90s for $2,500.00 us. I handled it and the straight pull bolt was unique to me, but very nice. I was told by the dealer that you could buy extra barrels and bolts for it. I think the one I looked at actually had an extra bolt that came with it. Thanks!

When traveling with an R8 and two different caliber barrels, is it considered to be two different rifles by RSA and/or Namibia? I ask because I’d like to take a blaser R8 with .375h&h and .300 WM barrels in one case along with my son’s Kimber 6.5 CM. I think I can only bring two rifles to Namibia, since my son is a minor his rifle would be under my name.
This would also mean bringing 3 different calibers of ammo. I will be flying delta/KLM.

Normally, it's the trigger mechanism that is the rifle. The FFL part.
It is my understanding that you can travel with one rifle and any number of barrels as a single firearm. Please verify laws both with this country and that of your destination. One of the reasons this style of rifle is very popular in Europe is because of the restrictions in some countries about the number of firearms one can own and that one rifle with several barrels is considered to be a single firearm.

Last edited:
Normally, it's the trigger mechanism that is the rifle. The FFL part.
It is my understanding that you can travel with one rifle and any number of barrels as a single firearm. Please verify laws both with this country and that of your destination. One of the reasons this style of rifle is very popular in Europe is because of the restrictions in some countries about the number of firearms one can own and that one rifle with several barrel is considered to be a single firearm.
I just emailed riflepermits.com about this and they said it's the barrel according to South Africa laws. And said each person get 4 "firearms"

Not sure how namibia differs...

I believe @Red Leg mentioned something about this one time before.
For the life of me I can't remember what he said.

For the R8 (in the US) the ATF considers the stock the "gun" portion of the puzzle.
However the barrels also have a serial number.
All of these must be listed on your CBP4457 for re-entry into the US.
Along with the serial numbers of your scopes and binos.

It makes perfect sense that the stock is the gun portion of the R8.
I can understand a requirement to list barrel numbers but binos and scopes too ... I suppose it is for taxes on items possibly sold in other countries and to make sure the laws of other countries aren't broken if one of those considers a barrel a firearm...

It makes perfect sense that the stock is the gun portion of the R8.
I can understand a requirement to list barrel numbers but binos and scopes too ... I suppose it is for taxes on items possibly sold in other countries and to make sure the laws of other countries aren't broken if one of those considers a barrel a firearm...
It's smart to list any high dollar item with a serial number on the CPB4457.
Being accused of bringing in undeclared good is a PITA.
It's easy enough to list this stuff and get them to sign off on it.
And it makes coming back much easier when you don't have to answer the TSA's questions.

You're correct.

My only experience with listing optical/photographic equipment, lenses etc...was when visiting Egypt. They want to make sure you didn't sell an item while visiting. Slightly different. It was more about leaving with the items than entering the country with them. I traveled quite a bit with similar equipment without having to register it at arrival in a foreign country but I see how it simplifies things to have listed all equipment prior to leaving for easy reentry.

Thank you for the information. I was wrong then...Apologies.
Not necessary, I'm still trying to figure out the specifics of this myself and that's all the info I have so far.

It gets awful complicated when the US considers the "firearm" the receiver and registers that but apparently RSA (and not sure how many other countries) consider each serialized barrel the "firearm". And I've also read that they make you list the receiver serial number if present on the saps form as well.

Now does my US registered gun with a serial on the receiver and barrel count as 2 "firearms". How are spare barrels treated? It's all very confusing and I'm trying to figure out that same answers asked above so there are no complications upon entry. I'm sure it doesnt help that it's my first safari so it's all new

Not necessary, I'm still trying to figure out the specifics of this myself and that's all the info I have so far.

It gets awful complicated when the US considers the "firearm" the receiver and registers that but apparently RSA (and not sure how many other countries) consider each serialized barrel the "firearm". And I've also read that they make you list the receiver serial number if present on the saps form as well.

Now does my US registered gun with a serial on the receiver and barrel count as 2 "firearms". How are spare barrels treated? It's all very confusing and I'm trying to figure out that same answers asked above so there are no complications upon entry. I'm sure it doesnt help that it's my first safari so it's all new
I have taken my Blaser S2 to Mozambique with two sets of barrels (I eventually stopped that nonsense when I realized I could do everything with the .375 - but I digress). I listed the Action SN and both barrel SN's on the 4457 - US customs are always happier with multiple serial numbers. Mozambique wanted one serial number so they got them for each of the barrels. When I went to the RSA with my R8 they got the action and barrel number (they also want to see the 4457). I have never had an issue returning from abroad with barrel and receiver listed. I also don't list binoculars and good luck to the US government proving my Europtic Leica's were acquired abroad.

Better be safe than sorry...You're doing the right thing in my view. Someone else with more experience traveling with an R8 may speak of first hand experience, I can't. I have one but haven't traveled with it yet.

I have taken my Blaser S2 to Mozambique with two sets of barrels (I eventually stopped that nonsense when I realized I could do everything with the .375 - but I digress). I listed the Action SN and both barrel SN's on the 4457 - US customs are always happier with multiple serial numbers. Mozambique wanted one serial number so they got them for each of the barrels. When I went to the RSA with my R8 they got the action and barrel number (they also want to see the 4457). I have never had an issue returning from abroad with barrel and receiver listed. I also don't list binoculars and good luck to the US government proving my Europtic Leica's were acquired abroad.
I was more concerned with issues over there than returning home as I planned on listing the barrel and action on 4457 as you described.

I had read that RSA only allowed a maximum of 2 firearms per person. I plan to take my S2 with 470 and 375 barrels plus a 300WM for my wife to use. My first confusion was: is my one gun with a serialized receiver and two serialized barrels going to be treated as 2 "firearms" or 3 (one for each serial #)? I was considering getting an R8 for my wife, which has the same complication of a serialized receiver and barrel.

Henry from riflepermits.com said 4 firearms are allowed when I emailed him, so that seems to clear up that issue, but if going to another country that does only allow 2 then what? Do they just ignore the receiver serial numbers because that's apparently a US thing and each barrel is considered a "firearm" and plan according to that?

I just dont want to show up somewhere thinking I have 2 guns and they tell me I have 3 or 4 due to serial numbers and removable barrels and I cant bring them in, or worse.

I was more concerned with issues over there than returning home as I planned on listing the barrel and action on 4457 as you described.

I had read that RSA only allowed a maximum of 2 firearms per person. I plan to take my S2 with 470 and 375 barrels plus a 300WM for my wife to use. My first confusion was: is my one gun with a serialized receiver and two serialized barrels going to be treated as 2 "firearms" or 3 (one for each serial #)? I was considering getting an R8 for my wife, which has the same complication of a serialized receiver and barrel.

Henry from riflepermits.com said 4 firearms are allowed when I emailed him, so that seems to clear up that issue, but if going to another country that does only allow 2 then what? Do they just ignore the receiver serial numbers because that's apparently a US thing and each barrel is considered a "firearm" and plan according to that?

I just dont want to show up somewhere thinking I have 2 guns and they tell me I have 3 or 4 due to serial numbers and removable barrels and I cant bring them in, or worse.
You simply do what each country requires.

DChamp, mine do require minor adjustments from one barrel to the next. The reason why I try to dedicate a scope and mount to a barrel within limits. Depending on what I shoot more at any given time.

This is exactly my approach -- a dedicated scope for each barrel. All of them "shoot the lights out" as in incredibly accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.