Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

This morning Mrs BeeMaa has thrown a wrench in the works...kinda.

She is suggesting that IF our 2022 Africa safari is put on hold, that we take a trip to AK.
Her mind is pretty well made up on hunting Kodiak or Costal Brown Bear.

As a result, I will be taking a look at a lightweight 375H&H for the R8.
So a synthetic stock, 17mm barrel and aluminum receiver for easy of carry.
Thing is, I'm not a big guy and having a 375 that is under 8.5# could be a bit much.

Figured Brown Bear to be considered North America DG, so I put it here.
Any advice and experience would be appreciated.

Go with a 9.3x62, you don't need a magnum for browns.

If you are interested in a good 9.3x62 for AK, send me a PM as I'm going to be selling my Mauser M12 Max in that caliber. It has the laminate stock and would be ideal for AK, i.e. light, holds 5+1, and will take the AK weather and bush well.

Go with a 9.3x62, you don't need a magnum for browns.

If you are interested in a good 9.3x62 for AK, send me a PM as I'm going to be selling my Mauser M12 Max in that caliber. It has the laminate stock and would be ideal for AK, i.e. light, holds 5+1, and will take the AK weather and bush well.
That is a very generous offer and I agree that the 9.3x62 is an outstanding caliber for Brownies.
However I would like to stay with the R8 platform and with 375 ammo I already have.

Tell you what, hang on to the rifle (for a while) and we can both go.

She is suggesting that IF our 2022 Africa safari is put on hold, that we take a trip to AK.

Thing is, I'm not a big guy and having a 375 that is under 8.5# could be a bit much.

I do t mean to rain on y’all parade of going to Alaska but it’s just like going to another country right now. Hopefully this Covid crap will be over by next year.
We looked into a fishing trip offered by a lodge up there at a very good price this year cause we can’t go anywhere either.
Had to take a Covid test 3 days before you left for Alaska. Most places can’t get ur results back to you in 72 hrs but u can still fly up there and hope ur results are in your phone by then. If not you quarantine on ur dime there
Also take another test when you get there but could go to lodge if you had the other test results
No one could tell us what would happen if anyone tested positive on the plane so we decided not to go. It’s a crazy world right now.

That is a very generous offer and I agree that the 9.3x62 is an outstanding caliber for Brownies.
However I would like to stay with the R8 platform and with 375 ammo I already have.

Only reason I'm getting rid of it, as I love the rifle, is that I scored a 9.3x62 barrel from EuroOptic for my Helix....last barrel they had online and was half off what they originally were asking for it. Consolidating my collection down to the Helix right now (fantastic rifle!!). Clearing out the rest of my rifles to fund a pair of Swarvo Z8i scopes for the 300wm/9.3x62 and fund a 7x64 barrel/Z8i to go with them. Figure with those three I can pretty much hunt anything I'm interested in hunting anywhere on the planet (synthetic stock). The Blaser will come down the road, but that's going to be my Africa gun, probably a custom shop.

Don't worry about your size affecting your recoil tolerance. I think we lighter guys have an advantage because we roll with it easier. Thank about how unpleasant it would be to sit with your back against a tree and fire something with real recoil. Now, when it comes to carrying the rifle, I think a big guy has the advantage all day long.

BeeMaa, I’m 5’7”, 149-150 lbs and 73. I’ve shot a Kimber Talkeetna, my MRC with and without brake, 416 Rigby RMS (didn’t like it!), and CZ 458 Lott. All off sticks. I could physically handle the recoil. It just made my follow up shots much slower.
My torn retina has apparently healed well, so I am shooting guns without a brake now. Waiting for either a recoil comfort zone, or going blind.

@Bert the Turtle & @Ridgewalker...
Appreciate the vote of confidence in my narrow butt.

I'm telling you, it's good to have a like-minded wife.
Pretty awesome that it was HER idea.
Not sure she's so thrilled with the gear we will need...:rolleyes:

Someone test this with live round already..
My suspicion is that the firing pin will release before the handle is turned all the way forward, because after the bolt is in forward position, the firing mechanism is ready to fire but the bolt is not locked to barrel. If you pull the trigger when bolt isn't fully locked, the firing pin will actually slam the bolt in locked position and the firing pin will not ignite the primer. This seems to be the improvement Blaser remains pretty quiet about after R93 blowbacks.
I just tested this out and if you have the trigger pulled and slam the bolt forward, the rifle does fire.

I have no way to determine if the bolt was locked or not at the time nor any idea how one would make this happen without using a cable tie or string or something to hold the trigger, but it does fire if the trigger is held back and you slam the bolt shut.

I have not read through the thread enough to know why this is/was of concern.

If you want the .375H&H then by all means get it. If the recoil is more than you like then either get the 9.3x62 barrel or the Safari Pro Hunter stock. No matter what you can't lose.

If you want the .375H&H then by all means get it. If the recoil is more than you like then either get the 9.3x62 barrel or the Safari Pro Hunter stock. No matter what you can't lose.
I currently have the PH stock with the steel receiver and kickstop, so that's not the issue.
And truthfully, it's not just the weight of the rifle...
It's also the gap between the 17mm standard barrel and the 22mm safari channel on the stock.

Gonna stick with the 375 over the 9.3x62.
I'll get the synthetic stock, aluminum receiver and throw in a kickstop if I have to.
For a rifle that will be carried much more than it will be shot, I'll have to learn to deal with it.

The good thing about Blaser is it's modular...
The bad thing about Blaser is that it's modular and I always need just one more thing...

I just tested this out and if you have the trigger pulled and slam the bolt forward, the rifle does fire.

I have no way to determine if the bolt was locked or not at the time nor any idea how one would make this happen without using a cable tie or string or something to hold the trigger, but it does fire if the trigger is held back and you slam the bolt shut.

I have not read through the thread enough to know why this is/was of concern.
If the round fired but the bolt remained closed, it must have locked before the firing pin was released. The concern was, that if the firing pin releases before the collet has expanded and closed the breech, the round would go off and propel the bolt carrier backwards to the shooters face. This seems to be not concern but for different reasons I predicted.

If the round fired but the bolt remained closed, it must have locked before the firing pin was released. The concern was, that if the firing pin releases before the collet has expanded and closed the breech, the round would go off and propel the bolt carrier backwards to the shooters face. This seems to be not concern but for different reasons I predicted.
I did it with a primed case not a live round. I’m happy to answer the question of will it fire but I’ll let the professionals determine whether it will fire a live round out of battery ;)

Does Blaser make a 9.3x62 barrel? It will do the job and be easier on the shoulder I think.
Does beer come in bottles ??:ROFLMAO: 9.3 R8 barrels are available in many variations.

BeeMaa, my 17mm std length 375 bll weighs almost exactly the same as my 308 17mm standard length barrel. The difference is only around 1oz IIRC.

Bare weight of what you are thinking of will be at least 9.00lb with a Blaser mount and a 30mm tubed scope. Even a VX3i 1.5/5 will take you past 8.5lbs unloaded.

R8 Pro stock is nice and straight, so recoil should be no problem, but don't forget that you are likely to be shooting prone, which will be snappy.

Tanks suggestion of a 9.3 is worthy of consideration. My understanding is that ranges at which your bear guide will let you shoot are not long, although the 375 is likely to have a bit longer PBR than the 9.3.

The good thing about Blaser is it's modular...
The bad thing about Blaser is that it's modular and I always need just one more thing...
Yep I agree,
:sneaky::LOL: .204 Ruger, 6XC, 6.5-284, .308 win, 300wm, 300Wby, 2-8x57, 8X68s, 8mmRM, 9.3x62, .375H&H, .416 RM, .458 Lott, Pro stock, 2- Safari Pro Hunter stocks, Klimbero stock and a GRS stock.

I am headed to the Kamchatka in the spring for a Russian Brown Bear (we were supposed to go this May but - well - you know). I own a couple of 9.3's (actually more as I think about it :Facepalm: ) and my Sako "Arctos" easily dealt with my largest black bear to date. However, for one of these guys I am taking my R8 Professional equipped with standard weight .375 barrel, a quality Teutonic scope, and the ever trusty 300 gr A Frame. This rifle shoots sub-MOA. I did add the kickstop to this configuration, though it isn't really a recoil issue more than recovery from an odd shooting position. The rifle without it weighs the same as it does with the walnut classic sporter stock, but the recoil is a bit sharper if not really harder. Probably some sort of mysterious synthetic nuance thing. With the kickstop it is 16 oz heavier but still significantly lighter than the semi-weight configuration in a steel receiver stock.

I am headed to the Kamchatka in the spring for a Russian Brown Bear (we were supposed to go this May but - well - you know).
Best of luck! I’ll be anxiously waiting on your report of taking a giant brownie!

This C19 and being cooped up has been getting to myself and Mrs BeeMaa.
To that end, we took a little trip to see an old Navy friend and his wife this weekend.
They live in a rural area where shooting off the back porch is legal and quite common.
It was a good opportunity for us to catch, do some shooting and have a few drinks.
My friend was kind enough to take a video of myself shooting the 416RM.
Two shots at 100 yards into a 4" circle in just over 6 seconds (shot to shot).

I tried to embed the video, but obviously I'm screwing it up.
Please click the link to check it out.
If you have any advice on my technique...please feel free.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J8c6PPaa3C9Jx7cH6

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 2.08.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 2.08.56 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 189
Ouch! And that’s with the recoil suppressor in the stock?
pretty darn fast backup shot for that amount of recoil! But, I’ll bet it would be half that if the buff was coming at you!:ROFLMAO::E Lol:

This C19 and being cooped up has been getting to myself and Mrs BeeMaa.
To that end, we took a little trip to see an old Navy friend and his wife this weekend.
They live in a rural area where shooting off the back porch is legal and quite common.
It was a good opportunity for us to catch, do some shooting and have a few drinks.
My friend was kind enough to take a video of myself shooting the 416RM.
Two shots at 100 yards into a 4" circle in just over 6 seconds (shot to shot).

I tried to embed the video, but obviously I'm screwing it up.
Please click the link to check it out.
If you have any advice on my technique...please feel free.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J8c6PPaa3C9Jx7cH6

Come on down to Texas, we’re open for business :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg