Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

So what do I buy for my 3 barrels 500Jeff, 9.3x62mm and 7x64mm?
You can get the aluminum receiver, they can handle every caliber.
No need for the steel receiver unless you would like the added weight.
Get a PH stock with the 22mm channel.
3 barrels and 3 bolt heads.
Scope base and scope for the barrels you want to scope.
Add in a kickstop if you would like more weight.

@One Day... has done all the weight calculations.
Between him and I, we should be able to point you in the right direction.

@IvW
What you really need is a salesman who knows as much about the R8 as @One Day...
Getting the proper configuration from the start is what he did.
But he had to do a lot of the research.
Finding someone knowledgable is the key.

You can get the aluminum receiver, they can handle every caliber.
No need for the steel receiver unless you would like the added weight.
Get a PH stock with the 22mm channel.
3 barrels and 3 bolt heads.
Scope base and scope for the barrels you want to scope.
Add in a kickstop if you would like more weight.

@One Day... has done all the weight calculations.
Between him and I, we should be able to point you in the right direction.
Good info. I wasn't aware that the PH stock was available in aluminum. I've seen some Luxus and Jaeger rifles set up with the larger barrels and since those are aluminum, it does make sense that the aluminum receiver will handle the recoil. For some reason I thought the PH receiver was strictly a steel proposition.

Good info. I wasn't aware that the PH stock was available in aluminum. I've seen some Luxus and Jaeger rifles set up with the larger barrels and since those are aluminum, it does make sense that the aluminum receiver will handle the recoil. For some reason I thought the PH receiver was strictly a steel proposition.
You have to have a salesman willing to do it a piece at a time.
All they want to do is order it straight out of the catalog.
This is the "lego" of the rifle world...you get it however you want it.
You just need to be firm (but polite) with exactly what you want.
Armed with knowledge, you can win the fight.

IVW, the Blaser website can be very vague and confusing IMO. I emailed a retailer what i was wanting. It took 3 quote cycles before we got mine (actually pretty basic) Blaser configured. Partly my fault because I couldn't understand the Blaser website and partly the retailer’s.
Personally if I were buying a 500 Jeffrey, I would go for the steel bolt carrier. Weight always softens recoil as you know more than me. I’m a pansy with only a 375 H&H!

I've had several dealing with Van at Top Dog Guns Global.
He's gone above and beyond what I would expect from a dealer several times.
Made me a few really good deals and just a great guy.
He sells on GB a good bit, but also will take phone calls and orders.
And willing to configure your R8 however you want it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.59.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.59.09 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.59.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.59.10 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.59.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.59.12 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
Yes the site is very confusing you read about the R8 and think you have eutopia and eventually give up because it seems what you want cannot be done....

I've had several dealing with Van at Top Dog Guns Global.
He's gone above and beyond what I would expect from a dealer several times.
Made me a few really good deals and just a great guy.
He sells on GB a good bit, but also will take phone calls and orders.
And willing to configure your R8 however you want it.
+1 Nice guy to talk with IMO.

Definately steel receiver for me....
I would think so given the calibers we're talking about here. It's one reason I went with the Kilombero which comes standard with a steel receiver.

I believe this would suite your needs. Then add barrels as needed.
So how do they get to this when you cannot configure it on there system? Only Selous and Kilombero availible in 500 Jeff? Then again it may be me...technologically retarded....

I would like 500 Jeff, 375 H&H or 9.3x62 and 7x64 Brenneke...but cannot...
Sure you can. The pacing item is the 500. Get semi-weights in the others so the barrel channel doesn't gap too much.

Not to stir the pot too much...but with the steong reputation the R8 is getting, especially from some if the PHs here, what is the new thought on using a push feed action for DG? I believe the R8 extractor is very similar to a 700 bolt modified with the m16 style extractor or even the sako style. I've personally had extraction failures on the standard 700 extractor, but never one with the m16 modifed style.

@BeeMaa , @One Day... , @Red Leg are the R8 extractors as similar to a 700 m16 modifed extractor as I am thinking, or vastly different.

I stay away from anything rem 700 for DG had too many issues with one.....once bitten twice shy...unless you dont mind your PH stepping in when he may not have had to....my opinion anyway

Not to stir the pot too much...but with the steong reputation the R8 is getting, especially from some if the PHs here, what is the new thought on using a push feed action for DG? I believe the R8 extractor is very similar to a 700 bolt modified with the m16 style extractor or even the sako style. I've personally had extraction failures on the standard 700 extractor, but never one with the m16 modifed style.

@BeeMaa , @One Day... , @Red Leg are the R8 extractors as similar to a 700 m16 modifed extractor as I am thinking, or vastly different.
@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS is a PH in SA.
He uses a Blaser R8 in 416RM for backup work on DG.

I'm not a PH, but have more than 200 rounds of 416RM downrange.
Not one failure to feed, fire or extract.
Regular maintenance only.

@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS is a PH in SA.
He uses a Blaser R8 in 416RM for backup work on DG.

I'm not a PH, but have more than 200 rounds of 416RM downrange.
Not one failure to feed, fire or extract.
Regular maintenance only.
@BeeMaa that's exactly what I'm thinking there is more particular concern with one style extractor. The R8 has proven itself as a push fed, Sako is also highly used. My thought process is the standard 700 extractor caused much of this debate amd concern.

For lack of having one to closely examine now, are you R8 extractors similar to the m16 or sako style?

Sako's and Rem have issues in DG calibers...compared to R8 it is a different system

I stay away from anything rem 700 for DG had too many issues with one.....once bitten twice shy...unless you dont mind your PH stepping in when he may not have had to....my opinion anyway
To my point, some push feed systems are OK, some aren't. The CRF vs. PF has a lot more in between now, especially with the hybrid or semi CRF/PF systems. I know that will 'upset' some of the CRF or nothing crowd, as there are clearly righteous exceptions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.