Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

'Sounds like a typ stuffed shirt trying to paint someone else's staunch, opposite opinion black. Perhaps someone incentivized by their sales? Just because I (and many others) have no love for the , and strong opinions as to why (it's ugly-appears all machine made, lacking character, Push-Feed, i'm a big boy that can carry up to 4 different, adored rifles in the wheeled SKB, prefer collecting rifles and accurizing each to the max, etc.) I have no doubt it is portable and can shoot game (it was advertised heavily by Jim Shockey in his videos, with a highly questionable "500 yd" Kudu shot) but the fact remains there are many more hunters that prefer more traditional, positive feed turn-bolt rifles, for a variety of reasons with good basis. The USA wouldn't have become such without people like my ancestors speaking up in regards to following other, alternative beliefs in the 1700s-forward, and it's no different in this miniscule case. Others' opinions or stated experiences don't upset me, rather, if we disagree, I am amused...If the opinion on a post is purposely paved as a one-way street, is it really a balanced review? If so, it's just a puff piece. I'm sorry, but I for one detest most of today's (oft times overpriced) mass production results as advertised heavily by the MSM. 'Never one to keep up with the Jones' and their fancy new widget of conspicuous consumption. That push feed, under adverse conditions, could possibly get one killed...(extremely hot weather-stuck case, follow-up round falls out when you're at a poor angle, etc.) How's that going to work out when being charged/attacked by wounded game (even the mighty Oryx)? Facts. My sincere regrets if mere words online that countered yours caused any dysrhythmia or reduced egocentrisms! Being agreeable to disagreement, or simply expecting it in 50%+ of cases, pans out to be reality in the end. M70/77/550 Lives Matter too! :p

Mate, what was said was that you seem very opinionated for someone with no experience with this particular rifle. You have your opinion and you’re entitled to it (my wife always says “it’s a free country - you’re allowed to be wrong”). I’d suggest though, that you make your opinion an informed one.

As for the looks, beauty is in the eye of beholder. I’m an R8 user and personally don’t care for the looks of it. My stock, 416Rem Winchester M70 on the other hand is, to me, a good looking rifle. It is a decent rifle too. However, my R8 is a better rifle.

Hmmm... Likes, dislikes, beauty, ugliness, love, hatred, opinions... these all evoke "eye of the beholder" and Thank God we do not all see beauty in the same place, whether it be in rifles or women...

Where I come from, it is considered bad form - not free speech - to call another man's woman ugly...

This all reminds me of similar passionate "debates" between the "Old War Horse" Colt 1911 aficionados and the new "squeeze gun" Glock 17 converts in the 1980's...

As to the name calling, or innuendos (I could not refrain a good laugh at the suggestion that BeeMaa may be "incentivized by their sales"), I am not too sure what it brings to the discussion...

By the way, I apologize for showing my cultural ignorance, but what does the expression "white gloved people" mean?

In any case,
--- with over 30 rifles in the safes, some of which bear prestigious names - although admittedly nowhere near the quasi museum quality of Red Leg's collection;
--- and continuing to be a strong proponent of the CZ 550 as the best value-for-money entry level DG rifle;
--- and having gifted a Winchester 70 Classic to each of my sons;
--- and continuing to see CRF as the safest system to prevent accidental loading of a rifle;
--- and being fully capable of lugging heavy rifle cases around (and having done a fair amount of it);
--- and being entirely happy that others may have developed likes and dislikes dissimilar to mine;
--- and continuing to have a burr under my saddle about what I consider inflated Blaser pricing for anything related to the Safari market;
--- and, and, and, etc. etc.
I am quite pleased with the decision I made to transition to a Blaser R8...

As discussed in this and other threads, what tilted my personal balance is the convenience of a 3 calibers battery in a handy (<62" linear) and light (<50 lbs.) case. Right, wrong, or indifferent, THIS is what did it for me, and it is a heck of a lot easier, to walk miles of airport concourses, to put in taxicab trunks, to fit it in bush planes, etc.

The decocker mechanism, that I came to appreciate on my Krieghoff double rifle, was also quite important to me. The other characteristics of Blaser, I only discovered and came to appreciate AFTER I got one in my hands. As much as there is death by a thousand small cuts, there is also in the R8 case, preference by a thousand small details...

And I am really not worried about the reliability of the push feed concept in a DG scenario. I am not an 1890's imperial conscript handling a bolt action for the first time in my life, and I do not fire black powder loaded soft copper shells, or temperature-sensitive cordite loaded soft brass shells, so Mr. Mauser's 1898 engineering - which I continue to admire for its safety in the above referenced scenarios - is not paramount in my mind.

As to romanticism, it took me long enough but I finally came to accept that I will never own a farm in Africa and I, at long last, buried Denys Finch Hatton, so I am at peace on that front too...

By the way, as much as I love my Les Baer 1911 .45 and my Caspian 1911 .38 Spl, I must admit that my truck gun is a Glock 20, my nightstand gun is a Glock 21 (with attached Streamlight), my carry gun is a Glock 19, and my USPA / IPSC gun is a Glock 35. Oh well...

All this being as it may, what caught my eye in all this was this one of your posts C.W. Richter:
Get two accurized Winchester's rugers or CZ without the integral bases which cause Scopes to rip off and call it a day. Two good guns are better than one with a gear shift knob on it.

What do you mean by "without the integral bases which cause scopes to rip off"?

Last edited:
”Silence is golden”! JMO

The trigger is indeed made of polymer. Just like the triggers of Glock, S&W M&P and Springfield Armory XD series. All of which have seen much more trigger pulls than any Blaser rifle. It’s not a plastic wiffle ball bat, it’s a polymer trigger. Although I do understand your hesitation with it not being steel, it has never been a concern of mine.

In my post above (#665) I went over the barrel, magazine insert and trigger group. This would be cleared up in about 10 minutes at a gun shop if you could get your hands on one. It sounds complicated, but it really isn’t.

Thanks @BeeMaa I have an appointment tomorrow with my preferred gun store (which is the premier Blaser importer in Belgium) about my Mauser situation, with the intention to handle a few R8’s . We’ll see if this ‘overpriced, plastic, German summum of engineering’ can warm my heart to change from my Mauser ;)

Thanks for all the good input from all!

V.

Hmmm... Likes, dislikes, beauty, ugliness, love, hatred, opinions... these all evoke "eye of the beholder" and Thank God we do not all see beauty in the same place, whether it be in rifles or women...

Where I come from, it is considered bad form - not free speech - to call another man's woman ugly...

This all reminds me of similar passionate "debates" between the "Old War Horse" Colt 1911 aficionados and the new "squeeze gun" Glock 17 converts in the 1980's...

As to the name calling, or innuendos (I could not refrain a good laugh at the suggestion that BeeMaa may be "incentivized by their sales"), I am not too sure what it brings to the discussion...

By the way, I apologize for showing my cultural ignorance, but what does the expression "white gloved people" mean?

In any case,
--- with over 30 rifles in the safes, some of which bear prestigious names - although admittedly nowhere near the quasi museum quality of Red Leg's collection;
--- and continuing to be a strong proponent of the CZ 550 as the best value-for-money entry level DG rifle;
--- and having gifted a Winchester 70 Classic to each of my sons;
--- and continuing to see CRF as the safest system to prevent accidental loading of a rifle;
--- and being fully capable of lugging heavy rifle cases around (and having done a fair amount of it);
--- and being entirely happy that others may have developed likes and dislikes dissimilar to mine;
--- and continuing to have a burr under my saddle about what I consider inflated Blaser pricing for anything related to the Safari market;
--- and, and, and, etc. etc.
I am quite pleased with the decision I made to transition to a Blaser R8...

As discussed in this and other threads, what tilted my personal balance is the convenience of a 3 calibers battery in a handy (<62" linear) and light (<50 lbs.) case. Right, wrong, or indifferent, THIS is what did it for me, and it is a heck of a lot easier, to walk miles of airport concourses, to put in taxicab trunks, to fit it in bush planes, etc.

The decocker mechanism, that I came to appreciate on my Krieghoff double rifle, was also quite important to me. The other characteristics of Blaser, I only discovered and came to appreciate AFTER I got one in my hands. As much as there is death by a thousand small cuts, there is also in the R8 case, preference by a thousand small details...

And I am really not worried about the reliability of the push feed concept in a DG scenario. I am not an 1890's imperial conscript handling a bolt action for the first time in my life, and I do not fire black powder loaded soft copper shells, or temperature-sensitive cordite loaded soft brass shells, so Mr. Mauser's 1898 engineering - which I continue to admire for its safety in the above referenced scenarios - is not paramount in my mind.

As to romanticism, it took me long enough but I finally came to accept that I will never own a farm in Africa and I, at long last, buried Denys Finch Hatton, so I am at peace on that front too...

By the way, as much as I love my Les Baer 1911 .45 and my Caspian 1911 .38 Spl, I must admit that my truck gun is a Glock 20, my nightstand gun is a Glock 21 (with attached Streamlight), my carry gun is a Glock 19, and my USPA / IPSC gun is a Glock 35. Oh well...

All this being as it may, what caught my eye in all this was this one of your posts C.W. Richter:

What do you mean by "without the integral bases which cause scopes to rip off"?
Look it up it happens there are no bases on the newer czs the scope rings attach directly to the receiver Allah a weaver mount slightly modified like a 22 LR. At least one member had the scope hit him in the face and cause damage... The older CZ m98 style that uses conventional bases and rings I have no problem with. You can also Google white gloves as it's a very common term. Someone who pays for everything but does relatively nothing themself other than excel in their profession. To know more about something you must immerse your hands in it otherwise you are just talking conspicuous consumption. The comment regarding push feed versus CRF seems to have experience only with factory ammunition. For those that hand load the CRF is your friend in a hot climate.

Last edited:
@C.W. Richter I already owned multiple Winchester, Ruger, kimber, etc. A rifle is a tool, if it shoots straight and works, no need to get another one. Well, except that we all tend to get another one because of curiosity, a different caliber, a family member gives you one, etc. Then you have to pick your favorite. And it has to nicely fit in your wife’s car if you want to bring it with you every weekend you leave town.

This website is really quite good for gathering data on hunting and hunting related items. I’d rather read what real people have experienced than what an advertiser says. I suspect very few, if any, of the posters on the website have a financial interest in the equipment threads. If a piece of equipment is inferior, people here tend to say so, and explain why based on experience.

I don’t know about our overseas friends, but could my American hunting brothers tell me where all this Blaser advertising is that has subliminally convinced me to not only buy a Blaser and multiple barrels for it but also be very happy with it? Have we all been reading the same ‘white glove’ magazines?

I guess if anybody on here is looking to trade an R8 Ruthenium and multiple barrels for a Winchester straight-up, I better thank you for it.

Soooo... just came back from the gun store:
Still no news on the pricing for the replacement Mauser barrels, but the owner said that likely Blaser pricing will apply...:A Stars:

Handled a few Blaser's as well, they mainly had thumb hole version's in stock, impressions are: wow that is light and handy. They do feel (especially in smaller calibers) almost like toys, similar to little .22 bolt action I would say. Shorter than you expect them to be, and indeed well balanced. As far as fit and finish, etc. there is zero improvement over my M03. Indeed controls are plastic, but at least for the trigger a metal one can be ordered (I didn't dare ask the price).

I pitched the idea of selling my M03, and using this as funds (+ some more) could finance a Blaser with the three barrels. Well, he told me a bare bones is about 4KEUR (double the M03) then the additional barrels at 1.5-2KEUR a piece, + 3 optic mounts + bolt heads, etc etc. we are quickly talking around 8KEUR, without having bought the optics themselves yet... (then again this could also be purchased over time).

I don't know... they are still not making me feel all fuzzy inside, they are humorously overpriced, but they do feel great on the shoulder/in hand. Fully respect the engineering behind it. But I'll wait for the pricing on the Mauser barrels and then see.

I did leave the store with a new CZ 457 .22 synthetic though. I don't like just window shopping ;)

Cheers and joyous Easter to all!

V.

Just a bit of tooling info that leads to the high cost of Blasers. Injection molds back when I dealt with them (over 20 years ago) would cost $50k+ each for as little as a 50,000 part life. If you count all the individual plastic parts on a Blaser, you can see just the capital equipment costs are extremely high. The stock alone as I recall must have 4 slides to it. Very complicated costly mold.
A company has to amortize these costs over the projected life of the product (or of each mold).
JMT about the high cost.

Just a bit of tooling info that leads to the high cost of Blasers. Injection molds back when I dealt with them (over 20 years ago) would cost $50k+ each for as little as a 50,000 part life. If you count all the individual plastic parts on a Blaser, you can see just the capital equipment costs are extremely high. The stock alone as I recall must have 4 slides to it. Very complicated costly mold.
A company has to amortize these costs over the projected life of the product (or of each mold).
JMT about the high cost.
I agree that the molds to produce synthetic stocks are very expensive, but that cannot be the reason for the high price of a Blaser. Just look at any gun catalog of any brand, Blaser included, the synthetic stock versions are always less expensive than even the cheapest timber stocks. Even in your own example, $50K cost for 50K pieces, is only a cost of $1 per piece produced. Even if 50 individual pieces for one rifle, with 50 individual molds, were needed (and it is certainly less than that) it would still tally to $50 cost for one rifle.

Blaser must just have a patent on their specific action, with integrated trigger, magazine, which is the main source of their great handling and balance which I do admit is quite unique to the R8. Combine this with the switch barrel system, they can act as a monopolist and set their own pricing, without fear of direct competition. People (rightly so) fall in love with the compactness, light weight, excellent balance, superb ergonomics and once you are in, there is no alternative. So they can 'charge what they like' and command a hefty premium. Because no other brand or model has such a complete and perfected system.

@VertigoBE - I had a conversation recently with Van at Top Dog Guns Global who is a wonderful guy and a Blaser dealer in Mesa, Arizona. He said that Blaser USA rolled out a price increase at the beginning of this year. Van said that the increase was from 5-20% average across the board, with some accessories seeing a near 100% increase. No explanation was given other than it's what Blaser is doing.

So if you bought your Mauser before the price hike, and are now looking to move to a Blaser but are going into sticker shock...it's understandable. Money (and gun) moves have a lot to do with timing. Price hikes like that from Blaser, products not being produced like the CZ550 action, and market demand for such items drive the prices.

I've been very fortunate with timing on a few occasions, and not so much on others. I've learned through the years to keep my eyes on the "lightly" used market. I've been much more successful at making wise decisions this way. I've never made money buying a brand new rifle.

Not sure what the current used market is for you in Belgium, but there has to be something out there. Be patient and well informed. That's what this forum is all about, sharing information. I hope it works out for the best whether you keep the Mauser or move to Blaser. They are both beautiful rifles and will serve you well.

The Blah-zurr salesman with his coy smile and a wink telling you to relax and just go with the flow...see where the evening leads...as he grabs your arm and moves in closer...

They are overpriced. There are many folks here who are fortunate to be able to afford to play the R8 game with multiple calibers. That doesn't mean they aren't overpriced. I learned with the Encore, that having one rifle with multiple barrels isn't all it's cracked up to be. YOU DO NOT HAVE MULTIPLE RIFLES THIS WAY. No matter what the sales pitch tries to tell you, you have but one firing system and if it malfunctions you're done. You can't carry two guns on a hunt and switch over for best fit.

Where this system shines is for the person living in gun restricted areas or the seasonal hunter that wants to varmint hunt outside of deer/elk/bear season and then maybe black powder hunt(Encore not R8). The barrel changes can be done carefully and have time to confirm the zero. Or so you'll think. You'll end up finding a favorite caliber and the other barrels(and scopes) will lie dormant. I have four dormant barrels right now across two receivers. You're better off getting a dedicated rifle for each game you plan to hunt or a few to cover the power levels. At least this way you reach for the gun and it's there and ready and not "just a few wrenches away."

I'm just one guy with my unpopular opinion on this subject.

@VertigoBE - I had a conversation recently with Van at Top Dog Guns Global who is a wonderful guy and a Blaser dealer in Mesa, Arizona. He said that Blaser USA rolled out a price increase at the beginning of this year. Van said that the increase was from 5-20% average across the board, with some accessories seeing a near 100% increase. No explanation was given other than it's what Blaser is doing.

So if you bought your Mauser before the price hike, and are now looking to move to a Blaser but are going into sticker shock...it's understandable. Money (and gun) moves have a lot to do with timing. Price hikes like that from Blaser, products not being produced like the CZ550 action, and market demand for such items drive the prices.

I've been very fortunate with timing on a few occasions, and not so much on others. I've learned through the years to keep my eyes on the "lightly" used market. I've been much more successful at making wise decisions this way. I've never made money buying a brand new rifle.

Not sure what the current used market is for you in Belgium, but there has to be something out there. Be patient and well informed. That's what this forum is all about, sharing information. I hope it works out for the best whether you keep the Mauser or move to Blaser. They are both beautiful rifles and will serve you well.
Actually bought the Mauser M03 extreme about 6-7 years ago, for 2200EUR. I now see it often offered for quite a bit more :) So at least that part went well :)

I hope the Mauser guy takes pity on me and doesn't overprice :)

The Blah-zurr salesman with his coy smile and a wink telling you to relax and just go with the flow...see where the evening leads...as he grabs your arm and moves in closer...

They are overpriced. There are many folks here who are fortunate to be able to afford to play the R8 game with multiple calibers. That doesn't mean they aren't overpriced. I learned with the Encore, that having one rifle with multiple barrels isn't all it's cracked up to be. YOU DO NOT HAVE MULTIPLE RIFLES THIS WAY. No matter what the sales pitch tries to tell you, you have but one firing system and if it malfunctions you're done. You can't carry two guns on a hunt and switch over for best fit.

Where this system shines is for the person living in gun restricted areas or the seasonal hunter that wants to varmint hunt outside of deer/elk/bear season and then maybe black powder hunt(Encore not R8). The barrel changes can be done carefully and have time to confirm the zero. Or so you'll think. You'll end up finding a favorite caliber and the other barrels(and scopes) will lie dormant. I have four dormant barrels right now across two receivers. You're better off getting a dedicated rifle for each game you plan to hunt or a few to cover the power levels. At least this way you reach for the gun and it's there and ready and not "just a few wrenches away."

Even though I currently own an R8 and have owned a couple of Encores in the past, I actually do agree with you on the multiple barrel thing. I also agree that everything in R8 land is overpriced when compared to other makes and models of rifles.
But despite all of that, I really like the R8. There really are no down sides to them other than their price tag. And I've found (twice so far) that if you can find a deal on one in the used market, you won't lose money if you decide to sell.
Also, if you pick three barrels that fill a wide variety of uses, such as a 375 H&H, 7mm Rem Mag or 300 WM, and 223 Rem, you're really set for about anything. Of course, I agree, it's more fun buying another rifle than it is buying another barrel....

Whether or not your opinion is unpopular (mine often are) is irrelevant. What is relevant is the mischaracterization of the rifle and your subsequent conclusions about what owners think, or should think about it. Since I actually own one, allow me to reiterate what is so special about the rifle, and why, to me at least, it is not overpriced. I can also tell you what actually goes on in the mind of at least one owner, so you don't have to make further "so you'll think" suppositions.

First, there is no real comparison with an Encore. Other than the refinement of the Blaser, which is light years ahead of an Encore, the Blaser system actually works. I can switch barrels between shots in three different calibers every single shot an produce three MOA groups on three different targets. The system is that repeatable (neither of the two Encore rifles I have owned had anything like that repeatability). If one is traveling with the rifle, which is the intent of 99.9% of the owners on this site, one can indeed travel with multiple calibers in a far more transportable format with no concern about re-sighting after caliber changes. To me, it is the ideal format for a DG/PG hunt or a PG hunt that may have specialized game or range requirements. In that environment, I am absolutely not "better off" with multiple dedicated rifles - particularly several airports and several thousand miles from home. And the barrel change is accomplished in seconds with a single allen type wrench - not a "few wrenches." Something you would know if you would actually learn a bit more about the rifle you are criticizing.

And how is it over priced - exactly? Everything is relative. It is a far more versatile rifle than say a Rigby Big Game or Highland Stalker (wonderful rifles) and can be found for less than half as much. It's quality certainly matches the quality of anything in its price range, and as @One Day... so accurately noted in comparing the 1911 to the modern polymer handgun, the competition with its deep blue and walnut grips may look more traditional, but that appearance has nothing to do with durability, functionality, or accuracy. Those three attributes are major contributors to the term "value." At least to me.

It also works perfectly right out of the box - no trigger, feeding, bedding refinements required. That too is an attribute of value.

So, actually use one a bit. Take it on an international hunt. Then let's have discussion about what I should think about it.

I am still failing to understand why an entry level Blaser R8 Professional is considered expensive. It is about $3,500. That is not outrageous pricing. Yes, models with high grade wood are more expensive, but that is true for just about any firearm.

For example here is a link to a synthetic stock Cooper firearms rifle, almost exactly the same price.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 8.27.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 8.27.25 AM.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 8.27.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 8.27.27 AM.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 44
I am still failing to understand why an entry level Blaser R8 Professional is considered expensive. It is about $3,500. That is not outrageous pricing. Yes, models with high grade wood are more expensive, but that is true for just about any firearm.

For example here is a link to a synthetic stock Cooper firearms rifle, almost exactly the same price.

I agree on the initial purchase being within reason. I think it's the $450 scope mounts, $435 bolt head (to change caliber groups) and $1300-$3350 barrels that is offputting to many people. Also, like many others have said, the upcharge they put on their "safari" items such as the steel receiver and the Selous barrels, is a bit much as well.
But in spite of all this, I own one now, and have another reciever and bolt head on the way. (I got a deal on both items, lightly used).

I ended up spending more than $3500 to get my CZ550 375H&H to the point where I would trust it on a DG hunt. Not that I couldn't have done it cheaper on my own, but I did want it to work properly. A quick trip to AHR had it sorted out. It was a great rifle, but not out of the box.

Finding a DG rifle out of the box ready to go for under $3K is a big ask. The closest being the Winchester M70 in 375H&H for around $2K, but even then it could possibly need additional work.

Let's face it, hunting DG is not a cheap endeavor. We are very fortunate to even be considering such an undertaking. A rifle you will bet your life on is not the time to be pinching pennies.

0 and never. No explanation necessary to those who do not succumb to advertising. Besides the damn things are ugly as sin. Would you marry a woman that was ugly as sin and cost twice as much? They are for the white gloved people who do not wish to carry a larger gun case through airports in which case I would most definitely bring a Dakota takedown in my favorite medium and large calibers.
You've made my day. I thought you had to own a Royal Holland and Holland to be considered "white glove".

Get two accurized Winchester's rugers or CZ without the integral bases which cause Scopes to rip off and call it a day. Two good guns are better than one with a gear shift knob on it.

Look it up it happens there are no bases on the newer czs the scope rings attach directly to the receiver Allah a weaver mount slightly modified like a 22 LR. At least one member had the scope hit him in the face and cause damage... The older CZ m98 style that uses conventional bases and rings I have no problem with. You can also Google white gloves as it's a very common term. Someone who pays for everything but does relatively nothing themself other than excel in their profession. To know more about something you must immerse your hands in it otherwise you are just talking conspicuous consumption. The comment regarding push feed versus CRF seems to have experience only with factory ammunition. For those that hand load the CRF is your friend in a hot climate.

Hmmmm............. Fascinating.............

Unless you mean something entirely different from what you write, what you seem to be wanting to communicate is:

1) scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of a CZ 550 action "cause scopes to rip off";

2) scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of an action are inferior to "older CZ m98 style that uses conventional bases and rings";

3) "to know more about (CZ 550), (I) must immerse (my) hands in it otherwise (I am) just talking conspicuous consumption";

4) good handloading should apparently result in over pressure and stuck cases.

I am just going to say hmmmm.................., again............

There is nothing mechanically stronger than scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of an action - it is certainly stronger than the mechanical strength of four 6-48 or even 8-40 screws attaching bases on top of it! - and I cannot fathom how a scope properly attached to a CZ 550 receiver with appropriate hardware could "rip off", unless of course it was attached by someone who is as good at basic mechanical tasks as at reloading overpressure and getting stuck cases...

Note: by the way, C.W. Richter, I observe that several of your rifles wear Talley mounts and rings, which are precisely the ones I use on my CZs, so I expect that you trust their mechanical strength, which I do, and that none have "ripped off" for you, but pray do tell how the 4 small screws holding the bases on your rifles are stronger than solid forged steel integral bases milled in square bridges (be they CZ, Mauser, Heym, Rigby, etc.)...

As to the advice about immersing my hands in CZ 550 matters rather than just talking about it, this has got to be one of the best jokes of the year on AH :E Rofl:

It seems I have gained quite a reputation for knowing, working on, and advocating for CZs. Rest assured I have more than a passing knowledge of CZs and currently own 4 of them (.270 Win, .300 Wby, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby) on which I personally installed Timney triggers and 3 position bolt-mounted safeties; tuned up feeding rails and ramps; adjusted extractor tension; etc., so yeah, I kind of "immersed my hands" in CZs and I guess that my "white gloves" are plenty black of CZ upgrading, tuning, stoning, polishing, etc. ;) all of which came at a cost as judiciously observed by BeeMaa...

Perfect African Battery #2.jpg

Oh well.............................

I will only repeat - and show - what the R8 does for me that the CZ 550 cannot do:

Pelican 1700 with CZ 550 300 Wby & Krieghoff ,470 NE.jpg

CZ 550 + Krieghoff Big Five = 2 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

Blaser R8 + Krieghoff Big Five = 3 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

The above is a fact, and I amicably challenge anyone to get a light, medium and heavy caliber in 62" and 50 lbs. with conventional rifles. It HAS TO BE a R8 or a M03, which regrettably is not available anymore.

(A very few interchangeable barrel rifles others may qualify too, but any system with individual forearms attached to each barrel takes too much space and weight).

I am on record for finding Blaser R8 "safari" offering grossly over priced ($4,500 steel receiver Pro stock vs. $1,500 alloy receiver Pro stock, and $2,000 to $3,000 safari profile barrels vs. $1,000 standard barrels) and I maintain my position in this regard. I too have a bit of industry and business experience and I speculate that marketing to a perceived wealthy segment market explains these prices rather than production costs. But it is a free supply & demand economy, and I guess that as long as they sell at this price range they will continue...

It was not until I realized that one could actually mount any caliber barrel on the alloy receiver Pro stock and that a standard profile .375 H&H barrel cost $1,000 than I transitioned to Blaser.

A $8,000 R8 PH (steel receiver & Selous barrel) .375 H&H was a joke to me. A $3,000 R8 Pro (alloy receiver and standard barrel) .375 H&H, plus $2,000 for .257 Wby and .300 Wby barrels made eminent sense to me, for my specific purpose: going to and returning relatively easily from Africa through 8 airports each time with a 3 calibers battery.

As wisely observed by Red Leg, value is a very individualized proposition. The joy of using .257 Wby on Vaal Rhebok, .300 Wby on Kudu, and/or .375 H&H on Eland or as backup surgical precision rifle to my .470 double on Buffalo and Elephant is, TO ME, well worth my Blaser investment.

I fully respect that others may have different rationales for their different choices, but I really fail to see how using derogatory writing enhances their points........................ Oh well again............................

PS: I too must have missed all the advertising, because it sure would have helped me sort out the Blaser offering. In the end, I reached the conclusion that its complexity is its richness because possible configurations are almost endless...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg