Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

So I just spent my evening going through all 33 pages of this thread. As some of you know, and I have posted about, I'm looking to get additional barrels for my Mauser M03. I made an appointment with the local gun store I know this Saturday, to get more info on pricing. As both Mauser and the local store guy are completely mum on pricing, I'm getting anxious that I might be better off selling my .300 Mauser M03, and maybe another rifle too. Then just going full R8.

The R8 does not get my heart pumping like my Mauser, at least not yet, but I do recognise its great engineering.

Some remarks/thoughts/questions I still have after reading through the whole thread:
- I see none of you going for the Blaser optics? Just not available where you are, not good glass? The added bonus of the illuminated reticle when the rifle is cocked seems interesting to say the least
- is it correct that bolt knob, cocker/decocker and trigger guard are plastic? For a +4KEUR rifle?
- A lot of you seem to prefer the barrel band for the sling. Pure aesthetics or more technical reasoning? As the sling attachment is on front of the fore end, I do not see the added advantage on the barrel.
- one trigger group can accept different caliber magazines, or is it just the same trigger group with different caliber inserts?
- an R8 ordered without kickstop, is it still setup to accept a kickstop afterwards? Or will the stock be different?

(I'll probably come up some more questions tomorrow)

Thanks in advance and cheers!

V.

- I see none of you going for the Blaser optics? Just not available where you are, not good glass? The added bonus of the illuminated reticle when the rifle is cocked seems interesting to say the least

Haven’t had the chance to check Blaser branded optics out yet so can’t comment on them. They seem to follow the unfortunate trend for very heavy optics though.

I have a Zeiss scope with the illumination on cocking function. It works well, is handy but certainly wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me on a new scope, turning illumination on when going hunting is not that hard.

- is it correct that bolt knob, cocker/decocker and trigger guard are plastic? For a +4KEUR rifle?

On some of them yes, they are on mine. I don’t particularly like it but it’s not an issue from functionality’s perspective. In cold weather plastic trigger is more pleasant to use then metal. Bear in mind, plastic trigger on R8 is nothing at all like the trigger on say, a Glock.

- one trigger group can accept different caliber magazines, or is it just the same trigger group with different caliber inserts?

Different caliber inserts in one trigger group, and within the same caliber group same insert works - i.e. 243 and 308 share the insert.

- an R8 ordered without kickstop, is it still setup to accept a kickstop afterwards? Or will the stock be different?

My Professional Success was ordered without kickstop and I added one later. I believe all synthetic stocks are set up to accept kickstop, not sure about timber ones though.

This is a popular gun to talk about.... The power of advertising!

Get two custom Winchester's in your favorite calibers and call it a day!

@VertigoBE

I looked at the Blaser optics and did a side by side with Swaro, Leica, S&B and Zeiss. Zeiss has the same illumination feature the Blaser optics do, or at least they did at the time. I chose to go with Swaro for a host of reason. Mostly it was the quality of the glass was far above the Blaser and my wife liked the reticle the best. Turning the illumination on and off isn't a big deal for us.

I had a PH safari stock that lacked the front sling swivel on the stock and added one to it. I saw no reason for the barrel band sling swivel other than it really does look the part. For functionality, I found the stock mounted one best for me. My wife also has a barrel band sling swivel on her 375 barrel and still uses the one mounted on the stock. IMO it's aesthetics, but whatever works best for you.

Both of our bolt knobs were polymer and I upgraded them to the steel knurled knobs. The polymer was fine, but the purchase of the steel knurled knob is superior. The decocker is polymer.

The trigger guard is aluminum, but mated to a polymer housing that fits into the stock. So the bottom is aluminum, the top is polymer. This makes up what is called the trigger group and it comes with the stock.

The magazine insert is sold with the barrel and some fit multiple calibers. The magazine insert fits into the trigger group. The trigger group is then put into the stock.

All R8's can have a kickstop added to them, including the timber, synthetic and thumbhole stocks. Those that don't have one installed, can have one installed very easily. Only the "safari" models come with the kickstop already installed, but IMO are only necessary at or above 416RM.

All this sounds much more complicated than it really is. A few hours in a quality shop with a few stocks, barrels and other options will have you sorted out in no time. Until then, feel free to ask any questions you want.

Get two accurized Winchester's rugers or CZ without the integral bases which cause Scopes to rip off and call it a day. Two good guns are better than one with a gear shift knob on it.

This is a popular gun to talk about.... The power of advertising!
Get two custom Winchester's in your favorite calibers and call it a day!
Get two accurized Winchester's rugers or CZ without the integral bases which cause Scopes to rip off and call it a day. Two good guns are better than one with a gear shift knob on it.
For comparison sake, how how many Blaser rifles have you owned?

0 and never. No explanation necessary to those who do not succumb to advertising. Besides the damn things are ugly as sin. Would you marry a woman that was ugly as sin and cost twice as much? They are for the white gloved people who do not wish to carry a larger gun case through airports in which case I would most definitely bring a Dakota takedown in my favorite medium and large calibers.

0 and never. No explanation necessary to those who do not succumb to advertising. Besides the damn things are ugly as sin. Would you marry a woman that was ugly as sin and cost twice as much? They are for the white gloved people who do not wish to carry a larger gun case through airports in which case I would most definitely bring a Dakota takedown in my favorite medium and large calibers.
C'mon man! Tell'em how you really feel.

In all seriousness as long as they function, and according to many they do, I'd have no issue with them. In regards to ugliness the McMillian stocked custom rifles I have are just as "ugly" as the R8 Professionals and twice the price.

You want pretty wood rifles? Blasers have them as well. though to me at least they seem. a bit pricey here is a pic of a left handed wood Blaser R8. Below is a pic of my .458 B&M for comparison. The B&M is prettier, but also a higher grade Turkish stock.

1617334647179.png

1617334844458.png

I have a number very high end Mauser action rifles - custom and production - from Rigby to Westley Richards to Libhart to Al Lind. I have singles by Heym and Bradshaw and others that are at least as valuable as a Dakota. I have production rifles from Sako, Winchester, and Steyr. I love them all. But if I am going on hunt where one shot matters critically, I find I now turn to one of the calibers in a R8. It is an exceptional rifle. It has perfect ergonomics, a perfect trigger, and perfect functionality. If that makes me a "white gloved" person in your vernacular that's fine. It merely makes you ignorant in mine. You really ought to actually hold and shoot an R8 before being so certain you have it and its users all figured out.

Last edited:
Well said Red Leg. While my collection is not as impressive as yours, it is probably almost as extensive. I also gravitate to one of my R8s.

So the next question is...if you have us R8 owners figured out, how do your comments contribute to the discussion in a positive way? Do you think we don't know how much they cost? How well they travel? How well they shoot, handle or versatile they are? I believe most Blaser owners have all this figured out.

@Red Leg & @Ed Lally were kind enough to point their extensive experience with a variety of rifles that also happen to include the Blaser R8. These are two people who know quite a bit more than me when it comes to firearms, and I respect their opinions. Each has helped me out with my walk through the Blaser world and I'm hoping to do the same for others. That's what this thread is about.

It appears to me that you are taking jabs at Blaser owners in an attempt to elicit a negative response to justify your own views. Whatever your reasoning, I will not engage in a discussion with you on this subject. Your own admitted ignorance says more than I possibly could.

@Tanks - That is some beautiful wood on those rifles. The B&M is amazing.

@Wyatt Smith - If you find yourself in the Northern VA area, look me up. I'll arrange a range session, or at least a look at what I have. Or you can go to Euro Optic which is just over 2 hours from you. They have a lot of R8 stuff there. Call ahead and they will have stuff set out and ready for you.

Last edited:
Haven’t had the chance to check Blaser branded optics out yet so can’t comment on them. They seem to follow the unfortunate trend for very heavy optics though.

I have a Zeiss scope with the illumination on cocking function. It works well, is handy but certainly wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me on a new scope, turning illumination on when going hunting is not that hard.

Indeed, the auto illumination seems more like a nice to have, but I don’t mind either to put the illumination on myself.

On some of them yes, they are on mine. I don’t particularly like it but it’s not an issue from functionality’s perspective. In cold weather plastic trigger is more pleasant to use then metal. Bear in mind, plastic trigger on R8 is nothing at all like the trigger on say, a Glock.

The trigger itself is plastic too??? Until now I was under the impression that it was only the housing... I find that a bit disappointing for such an expensive rifle. I get the point of not freezing your finger when it is very cold, but it seems to me a moot point, because if it is that cold that I might truly risk freezing my finger to the trigger, I’ll be wearing gloves anyway...

Btw, I fully appreciate that the trigger is phenomenal, but I like steel where I can get it...

Different caliber inserts in one trigger group, and within the same caliber group same insert works - i.e. 243 and 308 share the insert.

So different caliber groups need not only a different magazine insert, but a whole new trigger+magazine assembly? Together with the high price tag for a new barrel, this is getting expensive no?

My Professional Success was ordered without kickstop and I added one later. I believe all synthetic stocks are set up to accept kickstop, not sure about timber ones though.

Good to know on the kick stop, is comforting I would be able to install it later if I ever needed it.

Conclusion: seems the pendulum is swinging back in favour of my M03 + extra barrels...

If you really want a metal trigger order the DLC (shiny black) or TiN (golden) plated ones.

Indeed, the auto illumination seems more like a nice to have, but I don’t mind either to put the illumination on myself.

The trigger itself is plastic too??? Until now I was under the impression that it was only the housing... I find that a bit disappointing for such an expensive rifle. I get the point of not freezing your finger when it is very cold, but it seems to me a moot point, because if it is that cold that I might truly risk freezing my finger to the trigger, I’ll be wearing gloves anyway...

Btw, I fully appreciate that the trigger is phenomenal, but I like steel where I can get it...

So different caliber groups need not only a different magazine insert, but a whole new trigger+magazine assembly? Together with the high price tag for a new barrel, this is getting expensive no?

Good to know on the kick stop, is comforting I would be able to install it later if I ever needed it.

Conclusion: seems the pendulum is swinging back in favour of my M03 + extra barrels...

The trigger is polymer and like I said, I don’t like it, I don’t like plastic on guns. I mentioned the cold situation as I always try to look on the bright side. However, aesthetics aside, functionality wise there is nothing wrong with it.

Different calibers need just the different magazine insert. These come standard with the barrel so it’s not an extra cost.

The trigger is indeed made of polymer. Just like the triggers of Glock, S&W M&P and Springfield Armory XD series. All of which have seen much more trigger pulls than any Blaser rifle. It’s not a plastic wiffle ball bat, it’s a polymer trigger. Although I do understand your hesitation with it not being steel, it has never been a concern of mine.

In my post above (#665) I went over the barrel, magazine insert and trigger group. This would be cleared up in about 10 minutes at a gun shop if you could get your hands on one. It sounds complicated, but it really isn’t.

So the next question is...if you have us R8 owners figured out, how do your comments contribute to the discussion in a positive way? Do you think we don't know how much they cost? How well they travel? How well they shoot, handle or versatile they are? I believe most Blaser owners have all this figured out.

@Red Leg & @Ed Lally were kind enough to point their extensive experience with a variety of rifles that also happen to include the Blaser R8. These are two people who know quite a bit more than me when it comes to firearms, and I respect their opinions. Each has helped me out with my walk through the Blaser world and I'm hoping to do the same for others. That's what this thread is about.

It appears to me that you are taking jabs at Blaser owners in an attempt to elicit a negative response to justify your own views. Whatever your reasoning, I will not engage in a discussion with you on this subject. Your own admitted ignorance says more than I possibly could.
'Sounds like a typ stuffed shirt trying to paint someone else's staunch, opposite opinion black. Perhaps someone incentivized by their sales? Just because I (and many others) have no love for the <Blowser>, and strong opinions as to why (it's ugly-appears all machine made, lacking character, Push-Feed, i'm a big boy that can carry up to 4 different, adored rifles in the wheeled SKB, prefer collecting rifles and accurizing each to the max, etc.) I have no doubt it is portable and can shoot game (it was advertised heavily by Jim Shockey in his videos, with a highly questionable "500 yd" Kudu shot) but the fact remains there are many more hunters that prefer more traditional, positive feed turn-bolt rifles, for a variety of reasons with good basis. The USA wouldn't have become such without people like my ancestors speaking up in regards to following other, alternative beliefs in the 1700s-forward, and it's no different in this miniscule case. Others' opinions or stated experiences don't upset me, rather, if we disagree, I am amused...If the opinion on a post is purposely paved as a one-way street, is it really a balanced review? If so, it's just a puff piece. I'm sorry, but I for one detest most of today's (oft times overpriced) mass production results as advertised heavily by the MSM. 'Never one to keep up with the Jones' and their fancy new widget of conspicuous consumption. That push feed, under adverse conditions, could possibly get one killed...(extremely hot weather-stuck case, follow-up round falls out when you're at a poor angle, etc.) How's that going to work out when being charged/attacked by wounded game (even the mighty Oryx)? Facts. My sincere regrets if mere words online that countered yours caused any dysrhythmia or reduced egocentrisms! Being agreeable to disagreement, or simply expecting it in 50%+ of cases, pans out to be reality in the end. M70/77/550 Lives Matter too! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!