Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

Good for you, my friend! I hope these hit the Goldilocks spots for you both!

Christmas has come early again for the BeeMaa's.
All the OT work has paid off and we are racking up some CC points.

Placed the order this morning with Euro Optic.
Decided to go with the safari weight 375 barrel with the sling swivel stud.
Intuition stock to be channeled to accept the 22mm barrels.
Opted for the Trijicon RMR with 1 MOA for the 416 in a Trijicon RM60 QD mount.
Throwing in a set of Leica Geovid HD-R 10x42 for good measure.

Mrs Beemaa has started a weight lifitng regimen to account for the added weight.
I should probably get on board with that as well.

Gonna be a while before the stuff is here, I'll keep you posted.

Congrats!! Pictures when it all arrives please :)

Congratulations BeeMaa, happy for you guys!

For what it is worth, I think you made the right choice with the Selous barrel and Trijicon RMR.

The Leica binocs are great too. I personally would go a few hundred $ more to get the "B" model with ballistic software, it may prove useful with 130 or 150 gr TTSX in the .300 Win on the Tiny Tens or other small animals in grassy hills, mountains or flat plains, but out to 250 yards it is admittedly not needed, EXCEPT to give you the equivalent horizontal distance when you hunt the mountains. It is amazing the number of folks who shoot over the back of the sheep/goat/reedbok/rhebok when they shoot either 60 degrees up or down the mountain and the equivalent horizontal distance is markedly shorter than the laser-measured bullet flight-path distance...

If a hunting rifle was carried all day long at 'port arms' I agree that weight would become an issue. I, for one, have the rifle slung on my shoulder pretty much until the last couple minutes of the stalk - it make it so much easier to glass! - and I am utterly incapable of saying if the rifle on the sling is 9 or 12 lbs. Following wounded DG is different, and this is where detachable sling swivels shine, but your Selous barreled R8 is still lighter than a classic 11 lbs double, so...

Kidding aside, to train for my walk & stalk buff hunt with my 11 lbs 6 oz Krieghoff double .470 NE, I bought a 12 lbs bell weight, put a nylon strap on it, and carried it either slung on my shoulder or in either hand alternatively while walking briskly an hour or two around the block a few days per week for 6 months before going on safari. It worked beautifully...

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchases!!

I bought a 12 lbs bell weight, put a nylon strap on it, and carried it either slung on my shoulder or in either hand alternatively while walking briskly an hour or two around the block a few days per week for 6 months before going on safari. It worked beautifully...
I bought a workout bar made by CAP at Academy - they have them in 8, 10, 12, 15 & 20 lb - they are wrapped in neoprene/rubber, and are about 50" long. Same thing - tie a strap at either end and it replicates carrying a rifle without scaring the neighbors!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures, know y'all are anxious for the delivery.

The Leica binocs are great too. I personally would go a few hundred $ more to get the "B" model with ballistic software, it may prove useful with 130 or 150 gr TTSX in the .300 Win on the Tiny Tens or other small animals in grassy hills, mountains or flat plains, but out to 250 yards it is admittedly not needed, EXCEPT to give you the equivalent horizontal distance when you hunt the mountains. It is amazing the number of folks who shoot over the back of the sheep/goat/reedbok/rhebok when they shoot either 60 degrees up or down the mountain and the equivalent horizontal distance is markedly shorter than the laser-measured bullet flight-path distance...
The Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-R have EHR (Equivalent Horizontal Range).
Yes, if I had the -B it would give me an opportunity to loose a micro SD...somewhere, never to be seen again.
I keep my shots to less than 300 yards on game, so it's nothing a range card can't take care of.

My last set was the gen 1 Leica Geovid-R 10x42 with EHR (part #40428) that now hang around the neck of my PH.
Which is why I'm needing a new set.
Truth be told, I gave them away in the hopes of upgrading to the newer Leica Geovid HD-R.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures, know y'all are anxious for the delivery.
It's gonna be a little while before it all comes in.
Some of it they have in stock, most of it is being ordered.
Probably 6 months or so before it all shows up.

Yes, pictures will be coming when they come in.
Thanks guys!

The Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-R have EHR (Equivalent Horizontal Range).
Yes, if I had the -B it would give me an opportunity to loose a micro SD...somewhere, never to be seen again.
I keep my shots to less than 300 yards on game, so it's nothing a range card can't take care of.
My last set was the gen 1 Leica Geovid-R 10x42 with EHR (part #40428) that now hang around the neck of my PH.
Hmmm......

I am afraid you are going to hate me BeeMaa :( (but after things are fixed you will love me :)).

I agree that the gen 1 Leica Geovid-R 10x42 (part #40428) had an on-board inclinometer AND displayed EHR.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, which is possible but unlikely, both 10x42 Geovid HD-R 2700 (part #40804) and 10x42 Geovid HD-B 3000 (part # 40801) have the hardware on board to measure air pressure, air temperature and the angle (this is probably because it is cheaper for them to only manufacture one set of hardware), but only the HD-B models have the ballistic program to use the data to display either holdover, adjustment clicks, or the equivalent horizontal range. I hope that I am wrong, but I urge you to double check with your vendor, because I believe that I am right... :whistle:

Regarding the micro SD card, FYI the "B" (Ballistic) models have 12 US and 12 Euro ballistic curves built in the unit, which have been plenty good enough for me. You would only use a micro SD card if you wanted to load the exact ballistic curve for your load. In my experience, the 12 US curves, and 3 options to set the zero distance (100, 200 and 300 yards) have been plenty good enough for me. Using preset curves US 1 and US 2 depending on what rifle and load I have out that day , the .257 Wby, .300 Wby and .340 Wby bullet path stays within 1/2 inch over or under the Leica built-in curve out to 500 yards (.257 and .300) and 450 yards (.340) which is more than I need for hunting. This one, you need not verify, I am positive that I am right ;)

Just my S0.02 my friend :)

Hmmm......

I am afraid you are going to hate me BeeMaa :( (but after things are fixed you will love me :)).

I agree that the gen 1 Leica Geovid-R 10x42 (part #40428) had an on-board inclinometer AND displayed EHR.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, which is possible but unlikely, both 10x42 Geovid HD-R 2700 (part #40804) and 10x42 Geovid HD-B 3000 (part # 40801) have the hardware on board to measure air pressure, air temperature and the angle (this is probably because it is cheaper for them to only manufacture one set of hardware), but only the HD-B models have the ballistic program to use the data to display either holdover, adjustment clicks, or the equivalent horizontal range. I hope that I am wrong, but I urge you to double check with your vendor, because I believe that I am right... :whistle:

Regarding the micro SD card, FYI the "B" (Ballistic) models have 12 US and 12 Euro ballistic curves built in the unit, which have been plenty good enough for me. You would only use a micro SD card if you wanted to load the exact ballistic curve for your load. In my experience, the 12 US curves, and 3 options to set the zero distance (100, 200 and 300 yards) have been plenty good enough for me. Using preset curves US 1 and US 2 depending on what rifle and load I have out that day , the .257 Wby, .300 Wby and .340 Wby bullet path stays within 1/2 inch over or under the Leica built-in curve out to 500 yards (.257 and .300) and 450 yards (.340) which is more than I need for hunting. This one, you need not verify, I am positive that I am right ;)

Just my S0.02 my friend :)

https://leicacamerausa.com/10-x-42-...07.2008745201.1577185415-312943251.1577185415

EHR is listed in the specs on the Leica website.
It doesn't happen often, but in this case I'm glad you are wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    831.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.34.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.34.10 AM.png
    454.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.34.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.34.13 AM.png
    762.5 KB · Views: 91
Fascinating...

I am really happy if I am wrong re. EHR BeeMaa.

At least the info re. 12 preset curves is right.

My info comes from Optics Trade, one of the leading European high quality optics distributors and they have a specific video and write up comparing the Leica Geovid HD-B vs Geovid HD-R in which they state (my emphasis in gray highlight):

upload_2019-12-24_11-21-25.png

https://blog.optics-trade.eu/leica-geovid-hd-b-vs-geovid-hd-r/

They have been quite reliable in the past, but this may be the case that they are wrong in this instance.

In addition, page 54 of the user's manual states (my emphasis in blue highlight):

upload_2019-12-24_11-30-35.png

upload_2019-12-24_11-29-37.png

https://www.optics-trade.eu/download/Leica/Instructions_Leica_Geovid_3000_2700_OpticsTrade.pdf

Since EHR is part of the Advanced Ballistic Compensation software, and the user's manual said "not available for HD-R" AND this matched the Optics Trade review and write up, this was the info I relied on when I flagged this for you.

And I would stick with it, if further reading of the user's manual did not create doubts...

But page 55 does not include the disclaimer (only HD-B 3000) for the EHR as it does for the Holdover (p. 55) and the Click/MOA Adjustment sections (p.56)

upload_2019-12-24_11-33-41.png

upload_2019-12-24_11-36-4.png

So it seems that the HD-R does not include for sure "holdover" and "Click/MOA Adjustment" but may actually include 1/3 of the software package with "EHR"...

If such is the case, I stand happily corrected and I apologize for passing along misleading information from Optics Trade.

It will be fascinating to read your feedback when you actually get them. Please DO tell us :)

PS: of course, I am sure you noticed that Leica is currently having a $500 rebate on the HD-B 3000 and they are selling them for $100 less than the HD-R 2700. I am curious, why did you take the HD-R 2700? Was immediate availability a criteria?

upload_2019-12-24_11-54-30.png

upload_2019-12-24_11-55-1.png

Last edited:
Fascinating...

My info comes from Optics Trade, one of the leading European high quality optics distributors and they have a specific video and write up comparing the Leica Geovid HD-B vs Geovid HD-R in which they state (my emphasis in gray highlight):

View attachment 320693

They have been quite reliable in the past, but this may be the case that they are wrong in this instance.

In addition, page 54 of the user's manual states (my emphasis in blue highlight):

View attachment 320695

View attachment 320694

https://www.optics-trade.eu/download/Leica/Instructions_Leica_Geovid_3000_2700_OpticsTrade.pdf

Since EHR is part of the Advanced Ballistic Compensation software, and the user's manual said "not available for HD-R" AND this matched the Optics Trade review and write up, this was the info I relied on when I flagged this for you.

And I would stick with it, if further reading of the user's manual did not create doubts...

But page 55 does not include the disclaimer (only HD-B 3000) for the EHR as it does for the Holdover (p. 55) and the Click/MOA Adjustment sections (p.56)

View attachment 320696

View attachment 320697

So it seems that the HD-R does not include for sure "holdover" and "Click/MOA Adjustment" but may actually include 1/3 of the software package with "EHR"...

If such is the case, I stand happily corrected and I apologize for passing along misleading information from Optics Trade.

It will be fascinating to read your feedback when you actually get them. Please DO tell us :)

PS: of course, I am sure you noticed that Leica is currently having a $500 rebate on the HD-B 3000 and they are selling them for $100 less than the HD-R 2700. I am curious, why did you take the HD-R 2700? Was immediate availability a criteria?

View attachment 320700

View attachment 320701
I will be making a phone call...in a couple of days.
Damn it.

Might I suggest one the “backpack” sling models from this place to carry all that Blaser weight around.

https://www.niggeloh.de/en/rifle-slings.html
I actually have one made by Vero Vellini.
upload_2019-12-25_5-36-31.jpeg

Thing is, I find it overly cumbersome and complicated for something that should be so simple.
I will most likely use one of the many simple strap style slings I have laying around.
However there is a Murray Custom Leather sling I think is just about perfect.
Mrs BeeMaa will not be caught without her leather Levy's leather sling.

Appreciate the help.

I actually have one made by Vero Vellini.
View attachment 320755
Thing is, I find it overly cumbersome and complicated for something that should be so simple.
I will most likely use one of the many simple strap style slings I have laying around.
However there is a Murray Custom Leather sling I think is just about perfect.
Mrs BeeMaa will not be caught without her leather Levy's leather sling.

Appreciate the help.

I tried a few of the newer sling styles and have to agree with Mrs BeeMaa that a good old fashion leather sling still works the best....sometimes the classics are classics for a reason.

Fascinating...

View attachment 320693

View attachment 320695

View attachment 320694

View attachment 320696

View attachment 320697

View attachment 320700

View attachment 320701
Phone call made.
Switched to the HD-B 3000 and saved $100.
All doubt has been removed, I will have EHR.

Thanks @One Day...
That could have sucked.

BeeMaa the only person you have to please is Mrs BeeMaa, if that’s what she wants,
You had full support of Red Leg when you said R8,
OneDay, sounds like you chipped in with some timely advice that will pay off for the Bee Maa’s
Happy hunting everyone,

BeeMaa the only person you have to please is Mrs BeeMaa, if that’s what she wants,
You had full support of Red Leg when you said R8,
OneDay, sounds like you chipped in with some timely advice that will pay off for the Bee Maa’s
Happy hunting everyone,
Thanks, I needed that.
Sometimes loose sight of the forest for the trees.
I am happy and so is Mrs BeeMaa.

Happy hunting to all...and to all a good night. :D

Phone call made.
Switched to the HD-B 3000 and saved $100.
All doubt has been removed, I will have EHR.

Thanks @One Day...
That could have sucked.
Just happy to help BeeMaa. Am I forgiven for the length and analytical bend of some of my posts? :)

Re. sling, I would suggest you look into Trader Keith's classic "Rifle Strap." It is THE grand classic rifle sling for Africa, with a modern twist: there are two bands of woven rubber on the inside face of the sling which makes it virtually impossible for the sling to slide down the shoulder when carried.

I have had a lot of slings through the years, from top quality leather (Galco, Bianchi, Murray, etc.) to a number of non-slide neoprene, rubber, etc. on all-weather rifles and waterfowl shotguns. In my opinion the Trader Keith is the best combination of quality, portability, and non-slide stability on the shoulder that there is out there, not to mention unmistakable African style. And at $60, they are honestly priced.

upload_2019-12-26_19-34-4.png

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

Last edited:
Just happy to help BeeMaa. Am I forgiven for the length and analytical bend of some of my posts? :)

Re. sling, I would suggest you look into Trader Keith's classic "Rifle Strap." It is THE grand classic rifle sling for Africa, with a modern twist: there are two bands of woven rubber on the inside face of the sling which makes it virtually impossible for the sling to slide down the shoulder when carried.

I have had a lot of slings through the years, from top quality leather (Galco, Bianchi, Murray, etc.) to a number of non-slide neoprene, rubber, etc. on all-weather rifles and waterfowl shotguns. In my opinion the Trader Keith is the best combination of quality, portability, and non-slide stability on the shoulder that there is out there, not to mention unmistakable African style. And at $60, they are honestly priced.

View attachment 320862
http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html
Heartily agree with this recommendation. I have been using them for over a decade and probably have half a dozen or more. They are inexpensive, work perfectly, weigh nothing, and look the part - even - or maybe especially- on a R8.

Heartily agree with this recommendation. I have been using them for over a decade and probably have half a dozen or more. They are inexpensive, work perfectly, weigh nothing, and look the part - even - or maybe especially- on a R8.

Totally agree. I’ve left them sprinkled across Africa. They are greatly appreciated as gifts. Also look into Trader Keith’s sling swivels. IMO they are the best available.

Dick Murray Custom Leather package showed up today.
Cartridge holder and sling, rubbed down with some leather conditioner and installed.
cBhzrhoC8Qg20E9J8jzrFSXuD0qCNbFxD0UESIQJ4ESJW6b3LcOt7O0iWrXlmFKFwgTfnoyJJGilRPE4Ff9dVEKRrImupS52PrwVKaDbq4H30SJThE9GBasIXQJDicBP5-BWrPJlYk85vHGYX868CPVNZ9YPkv5vA2ZHh6sVt2ba4jdImVxvDNbsQeVJLrHCFJoyhlRlEpTswnPRH5syfzpHYADdAQA5WB8gZ6KVUjaXCwjXdJEMcd0e15zOuwQTs4Dq-16G3F8Cm6uVhwqZup7XIcJLtbicxhRciRX6gO_khgbAm6VeZwvXTUwQYDZQIlmkNrRSBSxoM1PN5CMoHUV4IonJ9xef6LZrj2MRH1NW_SANOkiCtk0KNEE7_ed05tS2SQgXlRS10YyJ7u_k8CI5Y_nmWK4u0h9R184iE3Oy1Or03ft7XfjsZa0u7y-0O-2fgUemJymV97HUuFjXDK74rrHW7Em-6HSGR8L_GENF2PZXQ5Rzlal8uQyyrF2PAubu4iRDoDYb0d-9FYf62-58eOBnPXMnIf7H29qNyBbyq1fMX3mhVJniy8MTtKnr2PnRuJFvXtMPnKxRTfp5_5FDgZNgLL3m7Y7ZDGft45w-BU1CKjNHsIa1UyeZBv9dwIPoXkSjdr2yR6-YCRM-NrJFaTNVgCZgRIk9-INrBfDaOPPxQ-SQ1p0=w1814-h1360-no

DdycspqLtsjLOqDsM2G21LP8iBcOVnQ7lmytqXf3BIBIza_fv4DNieLxgT2wiH_jLjDTeToOvISMI-sjsCdr9PxCHIJhG1YAVkqX8QyOwxYW0ysv89RuloeLAeLyhEasCcDA-zAAwggrNFMOs0MLAUCneicFo1ZtJqIYqIVdNDLJhUVX-nO-_d3DeM_zCzaX7l95ivgvENowAXOO68DjB9SjtEReS3N3ovbSh7EI3dIhTYsJ904Fn5o5Imom0PcFLvENFqriUTv2v_iujBIp1SoGMzDYSydzvZtYotLH2OOhAz7Mw8eRrR8D2FQjNlojc_M1c8ja3fcJPeo145lKfVO3J5nK_GXoVF9BlSHME6CfxfeI5eZLRfeh1pR5x7MaZJpxuJDPIpDdrBvbku7k4xe-2Mnz9lPtJb8CYCwo1TEHwR4qN9RpXJylF42asUKnwYVn7Hr_W-PbQ4XG7RZACIQ9NzKCQnK5ZM90qSmo8ZnbGIMI_qwxDzp5xpe3D6uTlmPGoteq9ziQ76IR8ZMNnvzE1K-OHU5aDmx2XRQVQEZl4QQVSXD62hmGdNAbukzC98C8drgVYqMr1GXhC7gPoRft4gIZQfxX1ihC6GJSx-rcuwXHOmGE8GDae7-AOVJaiDosl3zBjkTXcxf9fNw0mP1NRsPaxU-Ct0SJxgMU9AgGGaT7L20Hp3M=w2880-h914-no

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3957.jpg
    IMG_3957.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 65

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross