Blaser R8 300WM- Recommendation of What Factory Ammo to Try Next

I have just started with the .300 with a 22” barrel. I am using my Thunderbeast Ultra 5 suppressor with it and I’m hunting the EC with it this month. I had all kinds of trouble and bought like 4 or more different loads. I was frustrated. What I finally figured out is that it gets hot and loses accuracy. Just like you I had poor groups and the occasional flyer. Frustrating!
Then I finally planned to just shoot a three shot group and then go back to work (yes I have two shooting ranges at my ranch so I can shoot anytime). I am wanting to hunt with Barnes 180g but also bought and had good accuracy with Nosler Accubond 180g.
With a cool barrel I am just about putting them in the same hole. 1” group at 100 yards easily. Problem solved! Thank goodness as I leave the 24th.
Best of luck.
Philip
Suppressors can compound the effect of barrel heating because they will heat at a different rate than the actual barrel. As you noted three shots will tell you how the rifle is actually doing for any hunting scenario.

With a cool barrel I am just about putting them in the same hole. 1” group at 100 yards easily. Problem solved! Thank goodness as I leave the 24th.
This is logical Phil because my first three shots clover leafed. I let the barrel cool down some but not to environmental temp and I am shooting suppressed. I will give it another try. But I also bought 200 grain ELD-X to try just in case I cannot get the Nosler Accubond 180g to shot. Thanks!

I will try this before re-crowning option.

I have just started with the .300 with a 22” barrel. I am using my Thunderbeast Ultra 5 suppressor with it and I’m hunting the EC with it this month. I had all kinds of trouble and bought like 4 or more different loads. I was frustrated. What I finally figured out is that it gets hot and loses accuracy. Just like you I had poor groups and the occasional flyer. Frustrating!
Then I finally planned to just shoot a three shot group and then go back to work (yes I have two shooting ranges at my ranch so I can shoot anytime). I am wanting to hunt with Barnes 180g but also bought and had good accuracy with Nosler Accubond 180g.
Best of luck.
Philip
Suppressors can compound the effect of barrel heating because they will heat at a different rate than the actual barrel. As you noted three shots will tell you how the rifle is actually doing for any hunting scenario.

Best of luck.
Philip
Believe it or not, mirage from a warm/hot supressor will cause pretty major issues too. I chased an issue with my 28 Nosler last year and part of it was copper fouling but a supressor cover made a massive difference as well. I shot it in the summer and it wasnt that noticeable, then October rolls around getting ready for a Texas hunt and the mirage in the cooler temps was giving me hell

This is logical Phil because my first three shots clover leafed. I let the barrel cool down some but not to environmental temp and I am shooting suppressed. I will give it another try. But I also bought 200 grain ELD-X to try just in case I cannot get the Nosler Accubond 180g to shot. Thanks!

I will try this before re-crowning option.
Glad I found this old tread. My .300 WM Blaser R8 won’t shoot Federal 180gr Accubond either. It shoots every other 180-200gr as one would expect. I couldn’t understand why, so I’ve tried them three separate times, and each time it shoots 4-6” groups at 100 yards. Everything else rips holes in paper.

My assumption was this was a bad batch of Anccubond’s, or a bad batch of loaded ammunition from Federal. I brought home 10 boxes of the stuff in 2021, when ammo was hard to find. (I still have most of it.) @Justbryan ammo was Winchester loaded 180 Accubond, and he posted in 2021. Guessing now, it was either a bad batch of Nosler bullets, or Blaser’s just hate Accubonds. Either way, Federal is vindicated.

I identified this problem while preparing for Zimbabwe in May of 21. I was a last-minute substitute for another Hunter and had a little time to prepare. The first ammo I shot for this hunt was 180 grain Accubond. I thought “oh shit what’s wrong with me“ as I instinctively blame myself first. I was greatly relieved when I switched to Federal 180 grain TSX. Here are two pictures of back to back 100 Yard groups from that day. I was so shocked by the results so I took pictures to send to a couple gun buddies.

2021 Federal 180gr Accubond
18CD67E3-1E8C-4FF5-B4A7-6C838E13832A.jpeg

2021 Federal 180gr Barnes TSX
008F082B-CF3E-49A1-B4A5-B0FD37A6B6D7.jpeg

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy some Federal 300 WM 180gr Accubond… I have a few boxes available.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you