Binocs for African Plains Game hunting?

You will need binos if you schedule any trips to game parks for viewing while over there

I know it’s spendy…but hear me out.

The new high end integrated Leica binos with laser range finder, now include an awesome feature- when you laze a target, it can also sync with your phone or similar GPS…to store the location of the animal you painted. No more wandering around looking for blood…you now have a 10 digit grid to exactly where it was standing…out to 1k yards and beyond.

Never have to guess about range, slope (you can set it to give you angle adjusted range), or location of the animal…

Thats a huge advantage. It’s not cheap…

You will need binos if you schedule any trips to game parks for viewing while over there
Yes. I did use my binocs on a side trip to the Addo Elephant National Park. We saw probably 50 elephants! They were so close though and no binocs were actually needed.

ADA3F6FD-EBD8-470D-AE90-98C1E46E34C9.jpeg
16C3E025-47CF-4215-86C4-7071D5A75C6A.jpeg
BA5B6A96-C0A0-463A-940C-120BDFEADB90.jpeg
EB78A61D-13A5-4CCA-B2A0-18EF765DF353.jpeg
8DE1AC5C-7FDE-426D-8F67-1D7A1773089C.jpeg
8EEA3EA4-936D-4F1C-BAB3-BEF2695E2E7C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As a PH, I like to explain certain things to visiting hunters, show them the small critters, look through the bosses of a bachelor herd of buffalo bulls, glass an open field, show them a goshawk eating a snake etc.

So if you're interested in that kind of stuff, a bino will make your trip more enjoyable.

Hunting is about using your senses vs their senses to get the shot, sight is the one you can enhance with binos.
Seeing a PH's back till he asks you to shoot is not a very rewarding outdoor experience in my opinion.

8x gives the right field of view and stability for most hunting, even at longer ranges.
I use a chunky 8x42 but I think there is a place for the small 8x20 but then the quality needs to be much higher.
What I mean is a reasonable 8x42 costs half the same performing 8x20 in my opinion.

I know I'm more of a guide than a hunter, but I would find it quite depressing if people's expectations of a trip to the African bush is just to traipse behind a PH, have a rifle plonked on some sticks by the tracker, peer down a scope and shoot something.

Most folk on here appear to be woodmen in their own right, so I suspect that is not really what peoples' expectations from such a trip truly are

There is a fascinating world to discover, explore and learn about - a good PH is an endless source of info, and a good pair of bins helps in discovering that world with him/her

As for the bins themselves -

I'd go for optical crispness and quality over light gathering and range - that is for most of the bush I frequent - where visual range is typically limited to about 150m

If you are vehicle bound, then weight is not too much of an issue so quality 8 or 10 x 42 Swarovski (or equivalent) have got to be a possibility

Walking, where weight and awkwardness are an issue, I quite like the idea of the miniature range as suggested by @Kevin Peacocke (with an objective lens of 20 to 30mm)

Range finding is not so important in the bush for me, however good glass is expensive and (for me anyway) one good pair of binoculars have to serve a multiplicity of functions and circumstances, of which the African bush is just one

I have a pair of Zeiss Victory FL's that have served me well this past 20 years, and it is they that I take into the bush

I do want a pair of EL's though - EL Swaro's keep tempting me; also the new sig sauer kilo 10,000 for their applied ballistics and link to the Kestral for playing at ELR - They too could serve well on a hunting trip

And now Mr Peacocke has put the cat amongst the pigeons with his miniature range suggestion, and my Zeiss might just get traded in for a pair from the CL series and a pair of EL Swaros

Just my views, for what they are worth ...

I have always carried a pair of older Bushnell (mid '70s made by Bushnell) 7x35 binocs for hunting elk, deer and pronghorn here, mainly DIY public land hunting. They are quite clear and enough magnification for the distances I have hunted. For my first African PG hunt this past June, I bought a pair of lower end 10x40 Leupold BX-1 binocs as I figured the distances for spotting African game would be much further and the increased magnification would be helpful. On both accounts, this proved correct. HOWEVER, I found both the PH and tracker spotting the game at great distances in the rocks and brush WAY before I could see anything! Not only could they see the game, they could tell me if "it was a good bull or ram", etc. The PH had a ragged pair of Vortex 8x32s and the tracker 8x32 Athlon binocs. After the first two days, I left my binocs in the truck and never used them again. I had never hunted with a guide before and in this circumstance, having my own binocs wasn't necessary at least for spotting a potential game animal to subsequently make a stalk on. At the end of the hunt, I gave my binocs to the PH. Next time I'll just bring my Bushnells for surveying the landscape. LOL
It is true, as you found out, that the African PH’s can spot things at amazing distances. I take good binos but on Safari they are not always integral to the hunt. So glad you came along to make some great memories on safari.

Can’t imagine ever going hunting without my binoculars with me. I’m there not to just to be pointed out what animal to shoot, but to observe, to spot and be part of the team.

I can't imagine not having Binocs on a hunt. Often picking up small movements in the bush is important. I know i will not have the same eye sight ability as a PH to pick out game so glassing will be a part of the process.

Looking at the Swarovski 10x30 or 8x30, any thoughts on these?

I'm in the bino camp. I always use them, whether it's groundhogs in the hay fields or deer hunting in the early fall woods where total visibility is limited to 20 meters or so. As far as spotting animals in AFrica, it's an acquired skill. After a few years of night hunting with a spotlight, I could identify an animal by its eyes. Look for things that are off color, moving, or out of place, like a gray spot half hidden behind a green bush that could be a warthog. Determining sex comes with experience too.

You will need binos if you schedule any trips to game parks for viewing while over there.

It is true, as you found out, that the African PH’s can spot things at amazing distances. I take good binos but on Safari they are not always integral to the hunt. So glad you came along to make some great memories on safari.
Philip,
I'm still working on posting a hunt report for my FANTASTIC hunt at Frontier Safaris with you and your group. @JimP has been prodding me to do one sooner than later. LOL.
Mark

I’m a little surprised by the people that don’t carry binoculars. Even in the thick stuff they have a value, trying to add an inch or two to an nyala or bushbuck in thick coastal Mozambique or pick apart a big herd of gemsbok or buffalo. They even go with me even in my extremely thick coastal Alabama thickets for whitetail. My go to binoculars are a 10 year old pair of Bushnell 10x42’s

I know I'm more of a guide than a hunter, but I would find it quite depressing if people's expectations of a trip to the African bush is just to traipse behind a PH, have a rifle plonked on some sticks by the tracker, peer down a scope and shoot something.

Most folk on here appear to be woodmen in their own right, so I suspect that is not really what peoples' expectations from such a trip truly are

There is a fascinating world to discover, explore and learn about - a good PH is an endless source of info, and a good pair of bins helps in discovering that world with him/her

As for the bins themselves -

I'd go for optical crispness and quality over light gathering and range - that is for most of the bush I frequent - where visual range is typically limited to about 150m

If you are vehicle bound, then weight is not too much of an issue so quality 8 or 10 x 42 Swarovski (or equivalent) have got to be a possibility

Walking, where weight and awkwardness are an issue, I quite like the idea of the miniature range as suggested by @Kevin Peacocke (with an objective lens of 20 to 30mm)

Range finding is not so important in the bush for me, however good glass is expensive and (for me anyway) one good pair of binoculars have to serve a multiplicity of functions and circumstances, of which the African bush is just one

I have a pair of Zeiss Victory FL's that have served me well this past 20 years, and it is they that I take into the bush

I do want a pair of EL's though - EL Swaro's keep tempting me; also the new sig sauer kilo 10,000 for their applied ballistics and link to the Kestral for playing at ELR - They too could serve well on a hunting trip

And now Mr Peacocke has put the cat amongst the pigeons with his miniature range suggestion, and my Zeiss might just get traded in for a pair from the CL series and a pair of EL Swaros

Just my views, for what they are worth ...
For connecting to a Kestral and getting your data for any range. Take a look at the Leica 3200.com. Can't speak for the glass of the Sig 10k, their 3k line is okay glass the image is not as crisp and has more of a blue hue to the picture.

I'm not sure what you are calling ELR? Was about to range rocks in Colorado at 3600 yards it would not do more than that on the days we hunted.

Did us them in RSA to take my zebra at a little under 300 yards with my 375h&h. Ranged, dialed, shot.

When hunting fur binos are with me, even in the bush at 100 yards. It is amazing how even big animals disappear and the glass is how you find them.

To the OP, if you have a budget in mind people can help with different models. Getting you the best bang for your buck.

My PH and I were on our first stalk together and looking at a mixed bag of PG. Initially we had stopped the bakkie for beautiful and old Blue Wildebeest. As we were sneaking up, we both scanned the game animals that included Tsessebe, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu and Oryx (maybe Impala as well, but I don't recall exactly). He was looking through his Vortex Diamondback 10x42's and I through Leica Geovid 10x42R. We both were drawn to two Kudu in the shade of a tree. He commented that the one on the left looked really good, my comment back was that the one on the right was bigger.

A little perspective. I was on my first trip to Africa EVER! He is an experienced PH with several years under his belt and has hunted this property for the last 10 years. I have pretty much just spit in his face by telling him he was wrong...and I recognized that the moment the words fell out of my mouth.

He pulled his binos down and gave a look. A look of "who in the F@#$% do you think you are telling ME what the hell is going on here when you haven't even been in Africa for 24 hours"? I handed him my Leica binos and he begrudgingly took them. He looked at the Kudu. He glanced at me, then again looked at the Kudu. Without removing the binos from his eyes he says..."You are right, the one on the right is a bigger". He double checked his binos against mine and couldn't believe the difference in the lower light conditions of the shaded tree.

The quality of the equipment we take on safari makes a difference. In this instance it ended with my Leica binos not making the trip home. My wife and I now each have our own sets of Leica Geovid HD-B 3000's. They go on every stalk.

Last edited:
Yip quality of glass is worth what you pay for it....
I got given a pair of 8x42 Leica binos many moons ago by a client. They are heavy but the best thing since slised bread....clear as crystal...and I have never found them wanting

Bino Harness and Zeiss 10x42 - never in the way, always handy, and is much more fun - when you, for example, are looking for a tuskless cow without dependent calf among 120 Ele. Would feel bad if not able to search by myself, even if the pH of course is unbeatable...

I’m equally on the Bino Bandwagon in hand & afoot while in the bush.

I arrive prepared to be as fully engaged as possible on the hunt along w/ pack/compact spotter on tripod IF the ToPo & hunt style warrants. I believe PH & Trackers alike respect that all-in approach BUT this comes w/ a Warning Tag: you must arrive efficient in setup & proficient in use, if you look like you’re assembling a bike on Christmas Day!? Keep the Outdoor Bling @ home.

As for spying game, I’m in my Bino’s as much as the PH/Tracker but hands down their eyes are fine tuned to the specific trophy characteristics vs. the ToPo & an acquired skill w/ 200+ days or more afield a year.

I feel most will agree, our game spying ability does improve later in a Hunt vs. Day #1 & purchasing best quality Bino’s we can afford needs no explanation & will last many seasons.

Homer :A Blink:… look, there’s a bird!

I can't imagine a hunt sans my 10X40 Zeiss rubber armoured binos. They are frequently in use around my place here in the Arizona countryside. They double as a bird observation tool, deer, bear, and javelina spotter, and can provide distant early warning of possible trouble. I have had them for over 30 years and I am accustomed to using them - hunting or otherwise.

Compared to my PH, I know squat about Africa. But I enjoy hunting - to see, smell, hear and touch - the whole experience. I want to be hunting, not just shooting... I can do that on my range or clays set-up. No need to spend a small fortune. I want the whole experience.

I agree with Nevada Mike,staying engaged with all aspects of the hunt makes for a much better Safari experience . Be it help loading game, carrying out game or carrying the trackers stuff as they carry out your game And even helping get a stuck vehicle unstuck. Or you can sit back and watch as Bwana wa safari. Of course some of this depends on Our physical abilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross