Binocs for African Plains Game hunting?

I personally use an older pair of Swaro 10x42’s and they’ve suited me great on all 4 of my African hunts.

I used to have a pair of 10x42 EL’s but had my truck broken into and they were stolen along with some other stuff. They never made it to africa but were used on many elk and deer hunts.

If I was to add another binocular it’d probably be a pair of 7 or 8 power compacts and with Africa in mind to save on a bit of weight and bulk.

Philip,
I'm still working on posting a hunt report for my FANTASTIC hunt at Frontier Safaris with you and your group. @JimP has been prodding me to do one sooner than later. LOL.
Mark
I cant wait to see your report. You certainly have a story to tell.
Get 'er done!

I'd never consider hunting anything without my binos, especially in Africa. Too much to see and look at when even when not in the middle of a stalk, like the time we stumbled into a honey badger knawing on a skunk, or a pangolin slowly making his way by. Meopta Meostar 8x32's attached to a Rick Young harness is as superb combo.

I don’t go anywhere without glass. I have a pair of Maven 8x30s and they are feather light. Keep them on a very short leash high on the chest and they are never in the way. Same for my 10x42s when the situation calls for them.

A good pair of binos are good for so many things. In the handful of hunts I have been on in Africa I can see why guys are recommending super small and light, it mostly is close work, and I'd rather carry a heavier rifle than heavy optics. However, I just got back from Sengwa Research area in Zim and honestly wished I would have had my spotting scope with tripod to use from the high rocky lookout points we were using. One of the buff was a 2 mile hike with the last 1/4 mile being quite an intense stalk. I use Zeiss 10x42 victory, they won't let you down but there are times I would like something a little smaller, 10x32 Leica maybe. There is no substitute for good glass. One trip to Alaska with average or less binos and the first thing you will buy when you get home is the most expensive glass you can afford. I cross carry, always have,...just can't get used to chest harness. Swaro, Leica, Zeiss....the 3 best, no specific order, always have been, always will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg