Binocs for African Plains Game hunting?

A question for those you that use binos in Africa, often 8x30-32 are super light/convenient, and least “noticeable” to carry. 8x40 are very good for low light, and 10x40 are better for longer distance. Which do you recommend?

Maybe a better way to ask that question is, as a client, do you glass enough in low light to justify the extra weight of 40mm vs 32mm? 8x32 is nothing for weight.

I suppose 8x vs 10x is dependent upon terrain/vegetation.

The tracker just said; "There is an Elephant. "

One of my biggest complaints/problems with many hunters.
Yes, there is a deer in this 100 acres! Having taught children and grandchildren to hunt, I always pick out something that all can see (bend in the road, huge dead tree, pond in creek, feeder, etc )and then "walk" the hunter from there to the game. I have tried to train multiple other adults to do this with only modest success.
A guide needs to be able to do this to help the hunter locate the game.

I stayed on the semi compact side to save weight with a set Swarovski 8x30 Companions + Rick Young harness. Really enjoyed them for lookie-looing, but my tracker did 90% of the spotting and the PH the rest. All Mark I eyeball, IIRC, alhough Sammy did a fair amount of glassing with his Vortex binos.

I got a brief look at my kudu thru the Swaro 8x30s at ~250 Yds (classic Gray Ghost in deep shade) , but everything else was naked eye (then scope). Pretty normal for hunting in the bush, I suppose.
I recently bought a pair of the Swaro 8x30 Companions and they are fantastic. By far the best binos I’ve ever owned

A question for those you that use binos in Africa, often 8x30-32 are super light/convenient, and least “noticeable” to carry. 8x40 are very good for low light, and 10x40 are better for longer distance. Which do you recommend?
It really matters where you plan to hunt. My last hunt in Zimbabwe visibility was maybe 150 yards max, while my hunt in the Karoo you could see for miles.

@CoElkHunter where was your hunt at? Most areas I’ve left my binoculars in truck, but eastern cape I saw a lot of value in having them with me. Your PH will usually see animals first, but I think it’s because he knows where to look first and what he is looking for. You are looking at unfamiliar landscape and animals, so your eyes aren’t trained to find the animals as fast as he can, but you can still see things they don’t occasionally. In Zimbabwe in thick brush, my PH said binoculars can be very helpful to older clients trying to pick up on buffalo in thick brush they can’t find initially in their riflescope.
I was hunting in the eastern cape with Frontier Safaris. Mostly in fairly mountainous terrain which I really enjoyed and I had a wonderful hunt. Typical spot and stalk hunt. The tracker in an elevated position in the back of the truck would most often spot animals and pound on the roof and the PH would stop. They would glass and converse amongst themselves. If the PH saw a shootable animal, the stalk was on. Don't get me wrong, when I initially was using my binocs, I could see the animals and horns, but I had no idea what I was looking for. I mentioned once to the PH I could see horns on some blesbok at half a mile away, but he had already glassed them and told me they were too small. I felt I was wasting his time, so I deferred to his expertise for the remainder of the hunt.

I just took a pair of Vortex 8x32 on a safari, it was the first time in 15 safaris I took binos. I did enjoy having them along, but when it was time to hunt, I had no use for them. All I want to hear is the guide say 'shoot' and I'm ready to shoot. I tell him ahead of time what I am looking for, I trust him. I personally do not need to be looking at the animal prior to shooting it, but others do, and that is fine too.
Yes. If my PH said to me, "it's a good one, let's go!". The stalk was on. He grabbed his tripod trigger sticks (absolutely wonderful!) and I my rifle and off we went.

Reactions: crs

I'm used to 10x40. That's what comes along.

The tracker just said; "There is an Elephant. "
To be fair, once you had half a clue how big an Elephant was relative to the mountain side. It was reasonably obvious.

While looking for sheep on a mountain four miles away I watched some ants crawling around on this rock. After watching for a while, they turned into Bighorn Sheep. Perspective....

I got trained from an early age to describe the "road map" to the animal spotted. Highest tree on the ridge, dead snag, drainage, etc. It's an art. I have fallen prey to a couple of "shoot that one" instructions. In one instance, I was looking at one animal, the PH another, thankfully there was a tree in the way for my shot. When I told the PH, he was shocked. We figured the error out quickly and the shot was taken. Luck.

The first actual wild elephant that I ever saw looked like rocks sticking above the brush, then they started to move. All I could see were the tops of their backs. I've got a picture of them and others have asked me about what were the rocks that I took a picture of.

As for size and weight of binoculars, I have used a number of them. Some 8x25 are the smallest and my Swarovski 10x42 EL's are the biggest that I'll pack when I am packing a rifle and I have never really noticed a difference in weight. However I am usually wearing a binocular harness or carrying pouch instead of just depending on their supplied strap. The smaller ones I'll just stick in a shirt pocket.

But I also agree that if your PH says to shoot it don't fool around trying to size up the animal yourself, just find it in the scope and pull the trigger

I would not feel part of the hunt without binoculars. In Africa my Leica 8x30's usually ride on my right hip (rifle is muzzle down on my left shoulder). I have never found myself sightseeing when I should have been prepping for the shot. And after a few trips to Africa, your eyes become adapted to the terrain and animals, and you will spot a lot of game along with the tracker and PH. There is a particular satisfaction in tapping the the roof of the cruiser first or reaching out and touching your PH's forearm during a walk about.

In Europe and the Americas, I carry and use (extensively) my 10x40 range finding Leica. They ride in a harness (padded if mountains and minimalist everywhere else). In those places, due to the lack of brush, the rifle is usually muzzle up on my right shoulder.

Old school Steiner 8x30’s for me.

The first actual wild elephant that I ever saw looked like rocks sticking above the brush, then they started to move. All I could see were the tops of their backs. I've got a picture of them and others have asked me about what were the rocks that I took a picture of.

As for size and weight of binoculars, I have used a number of them. Some 8x25 are the smallest and my Swarovski 10x42 EL's are the biggest that I'll pack when I am packing a rifle and I have never really noticed a difference in weight. However I am usually wearing a binocular harness or carrying pouch instead of just depending on their supplied strap. The smaller ones I'll just stick in a shirt pocket.

But I also agree that if your PH says to shoot it don't fool around trying to size up the animal yourself, just find it in the scope and pull the trigger
Also, I DID NOT care for the "bag" the Leupolds came with. The straps for the binocs were attached to the bag, so you had to use the bag. The binoc lens caps just got in the way. I can't see any use for them unless hunting in rain/snow. I've never used binoc lens caps when hunting and neither did the PH or tracker and for good reason. I carry my binocs here under my jacket or shirt. Rain, sleet or snow is no problem. The shoulder harness was a PITA! After spending ten minutes each time trying to figure out how it worked, the bag was too high on my chest and obtrusive to me. I think it was designed for a midget. I think those Rick Young binoc straps look promising and I may buy a set. Just my reflection on never having used a binoc bag or harness before.

I personally can't understand how anyone can hunt without binos, guided or not. My 10x42 Kahles always come with me. I want to be actively part of the hunt, finding and appraising trophies (and all the other cool things one sees) not just being led around by a PH and told what to shoot...

Just my 0.2c...

Also, I DID NOT care for the "bag" the Leupolds came with. The straps for the binocs were attached to the bag, so you had to use the bag. The binoc lens caps just got in the way. I can't see any use for them unless hunting in rain/snow. I've never used binoc lens caps when hunting and neither did the PH or tracker and for good reason. I carry my binocs here under my jacket or shirt. Rain, sleet or snow is no problem. The shoulder harness was a PITA! After spending ten minutes each time trying to figure out how it worked, the bag was too high on my chest and obtrusive to me. I think it was designed for a midget. I think those Rick Young binoc straps look promising and I may buy a set. Just my reflection on never having used a binoc bag or harness before.
I started out with just a harness from Sportsmans which worked fine for a number of years. Once you figure out how to get into and out of them quickly they are not too bad. Same with the enclosed binocular carriers. My go to one is from Badlands and has a magnetic closure, no zipper to make any noise. I didn't take them over last month but used a Stika one that I won on another forum. The Stika one is alright but the zipper is noisy and the magnet isn't strong enough to keep the top closed and the binoculars inside if you happen to bend over with them inside.

Here is a picture of me and the Sportsmans harness that I was wearing on my first trip, but they don't provide any protection for the optics. I had a set of Butler Creek scope caps on the objective lens that I could pop up and down when needed. The top cap was just connected with a piece of string so that I didn't loose it.

On the Badlands and Stika ones I don't use caps on the objective but just the top cap again held on with a piece of string.

aR6dFDT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out with just a harness from Sportsmans which worked fine for a number of years. Once you figure out how to get into and out of them quickly they are not too bad. Same with the enclosed binocular carriers. My go to one is from Badlands and has a magnetic closure, no zipper to make any noise. I didn't take them over last month but used a Stika one that I won on another forum. The Stika one is alright but the zipper is noisy and the magnet isn't strong enough to keep the top closed and the binoculars inside if you happen to bend over with them inside.

Here is a picture of me and the Sportsmans harness that I was wearing on my first trip, but they don't provide any protection for the optics. I had a set of Butler Creek scope caps on the objective lens that I could pop up and down when needed. The top cap was just connected with a piece of string so that I didn't loose it.

On the Badlands and Stika ones I don't use caps on the objective but just the top cap again held on with a piece of string.

View attachment 478936
Boy, those two cheetahs are trained well. No need for a rifle. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Sig Kilo binos. The glass isn’t the best to be quite honest but the rangefinding capability is superb. Whatever you carry, get yourself a good bino harness. I like the Alaska Guide Creations harness. It makes a world of difference for comfort and usability.

Boy, those two cheetahs are trained well. No need for a rifle. LOL
They were semi tame. It was worth the trip over just for the experience of hunting with them. And then watching them bring down the springbok was fantastic

The Rick Young nylon covers worked well for me in the field. Weigh nothing and clip to the harness strap in their own carry bag. Just enough "cover" to keep the dust off your lenses.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 11.30.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 11.30.46 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 11.30.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 11.30.48 AM.png
    846.5 KB · Views: 35
I always carry my Leica Geovid 10x42 HD range finding binoculars with me, either in a Badlands bino harness or cross body slung and sitting on my lower back on my left side.
I have never felt they were a hindrance, in fact, they are a vital tool for me in the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross