Big Bore Addiction Group

Hi Jaco, Merry Christmas. As Keith Richards said about his heroin habit "It's only a addiction if you can't afford it!" lol

True indeed .... my cz602 in 458 win ...... not buying 100 beers paid for it.

QUOTE="spike.t, post: 156880, member: 2963"]jaco you took your time admitting your well known addiction......;)what cal is the custom cz going to be?[/QUOTE]

Spike it will be in a .550 Magnum it's based on a 460 Weatherby shell that has been "blown out" currently there are 2 in Africa 1 owned by my dear friend Jason van Aarde and the other by Danie Roberts, a spectacular cartridge, varies from 700gr. - 900 gr. Barnes, they actually specifically produce these projectiles for around 10 - 15 firearms world wide

I fired Jason's several times and fell in love with it.
It performs quite superb on any specie on the receiving end of its fury.... ;)

Hi Jaco, Merry Christmas. As Keith Richards said about his heroin habit "It's only a addiction if you can't afford it!" lol

so your saying I have and addiction...:cautious:

my need for firearms (and hunting) constantly keeps me in a state of "just above broke". course my bills are covered but after firearms I don't have money to do anything else.

Jaco, ive heard good things about the 550 Magnum. according to my source there are actually two types of 550 Magnum. one is based off the 460 Weatherby and the other is even more powerful and based off the 505 Gibbs cartridge.

-matt

Mmmmm Matt so you're telling me that I'll need two... Damn the sweet disposition I find myself in do often.....
Ahhhhhh well.

QUOTE="spike.t, post: 156880, member: 2963"]jaco you took your time admitting your well known addiction......;)what cal is the custom cz going to be?

Spike it will be in a .550 Magnum it's based on a 460 Weatherby shell that has been "blown out" currently there are 2 in Africa 1 owned by my dear friend Jason van Aarde and the other by Danie Roberts, a spectacular cartridge, varies from 700gr. - 900 gr. Barnes, they actually specifically produce these projectiles for around 10 - 15 firearms world wide

I fired Jason's several times and fell in love with it.
It performs quite superb on any specie on the receiving end of its fury.... ;)[/QUOTE]

ok jaco you win with the t-rex rifle !!!!!:E Crazy Eyes::D Beers:

Mmmmm Matt so you're telling me that I'll need two... Damn the sweet disposition I find myself in do often.....
Ahhhhhh well.

So Jaco....

Does getting to shoot the .550 come included as part of a Leopard hunt package??? :A Banana::W Sharp Shooter:

It sure does! I am always open for discussion. :)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Results of shooting the 450 NE double at 50metres, open sight as fast as I could go!
My mate wanted me to prove I could hit DG at that distance if I only had a glimpse of it, thought I did pretty well despite two stock slaps to the face:)
Will definately be putting the cheek pad back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like some good shooten to me!

I wonder about the stock hitting you in the face... perhaps this stock does not fit you properly. I had a Sabatti double in 450/400 3" that hit me in the cheek but I got rid of the gun (for other reasons) before I found out why it did that. ive since fired much bigger guns without that issue. something about the stock design seemed to cause it.

-matt

It is a little too short for me, will have to get it fitted properly I think.

To short of a stock also allows you the opportunity to punch yourself in the nose with the back of your thumb with each shot out of a big bore:confused:

Think that is what it was more of, on the second barrel of each double tap. Coming in too close under pressure:(

Yup, I love my 375 H & H! But it's big sister is even nicer in 416 Rem Mag... And now there is a 505 Gibbs in front of them both in the safe.
Hello, is there a great recoil difference between .416RM (I'm in love with it) and 505 Gibbs ?

bebo, i imagine there is a fairly substantial difference. 400gr at 2350fps VS 525gr at 2300fps is a wide gap! i would suspect that extra 125gr of weight your throwen down range takes a serious toll on the shooter.

my 505 Gibbs is still not back from repairs so i cant give you a better comparison :(. hopefully ActionBob will chime in shortly.

-matt

Hello, is there a great recoil difference between .416RM (I'm in love with it) and 505 Gibbs ?

I would have to say .... YES!

There are increments, like going from the 375 to the 416... I think I mentioned in here that the Winchester M70 in 416 that I have at least, seems to be the same gun as the 375 with a bigger hole down the middle. Thus less metal so less weight. And going from 300 grains to 400. So that was noticeable but kind of a "my, that's interesting" reaction....

Now going from the 416 to the 505 Gibbs is more of "Wow Mamma! There's a new Sherriff in town!" type reaction.

By the time I got to the range with it the first time, it was already near dusk and Ann was with. I was cold and she did not really want to be there but was willing to play along for a couple minutes. Set up a target and "Ann's" sticks... She was going to video the event but forgot her good camera so was using her phone. It was cold so I was wearing a thin pair of gloves I had in the pickup. I lit one off and got an impressive muzzle flash, muzzle rise and a very big bang! Rocked me backwards and knocked the trigger sticks over, proving they are NOT as tough as Shockey and broke a little piece off (although seems an inconsequential piece). and banged my fingers on the trigger guard. Gathered myself together and shot off a second round offhand... It was dark and my fingers hurt so packed up and like any sensible husband who talked his wife into coming to the range on a cold evening... Took her out to dinner.

Reported to @matt85 privately and he suggested losing the gloves and getting a firmer grip... so I went back on warm day (like right at freezing) and tried again. Popped off 3 rounds, no pics but 2 were about 1 1/2" apart and a 3rd I pulled down and left about 7"... Off hand 50 yards with iron sights. No big bang on the fingers this time (Thanks Matt!) and it was fun. But this think is costly to feed and 3 shots are fun, not sure if 4 would be;)

I plan to talk to the CZ guys tomorrow at DSC about the feeding and magazine little issues it has.

bebo, i imagine there is a fairly substantial difference. 400gr at 2350fps VS 525gr at 2300fps is a wide gap! i would suspect that extra 125gr of weight your throwen down range takes a serious toll on the shooter.

my 505 Gibbs is still not back from repairs so i cant give you a better comparison :(. hopefully ActionBob will chime in shortly.

-matt
Right ! I'll have to think :whistle: : 416Rm : 2400/2440 fps 400gr vs 505Gibbs 2300fps 525gr , it's not a gap it's a gulf. Momentum 505 = 1.257 Momentum 416

I'm Craig. I work for the US Army in Germany; origionally from FL. I am in the early stages of addiction; only own 2 Heyms; working on a 3rd order. I purchased a Heym SR-30 in .375 Ruger; special order from the factory that is about 2 hour drive from where I live. I have a budy that works at Heym, and got the factory tour; got to meet Thomas Wolkman the CEO. Saw doubles in every caliber in racks lining the walls. Got to talk to and watch Master Gun and Stock Smiths. I'll never the the same again. You don't see a lot of big bores in Germany. Most of them don't do safaris, so they don't buy big bores, but their rifles are works or art. Here is something to drool over (German gun auction site): http://egun.de/market/list_items.php?mode=cat&cat=508

welcome Craig!

im jealous, id love to go on a tour of the Heym factory! some day ill own a Heym in 500 NE...

-matt

im bored again so its picture time! today its home rolled 416 Rem Mag cartridges.

left-right:
225gr CEB Raptor loaded to roughly 3000fps
300gr Barnes TSX loaded to roughly 2700fps
400gr Barnes TSX loaded to roughly 2300fps

-matt

Attachments

• DSCN0843_zps75482c0c.jpg
    DSCN0843_zps75482c0c.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 71

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!