Best work rifle option?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Alexandro Faria, Apr 27, 2019.

?

Best work rifle option?

1. Remington 700 BDL

2. Zastava M70

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Made the right choice

Alexandro Faria likes this.

2. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    As soon as you receive it pull it down and clean it, My 7-08 needed a good cleaning, I took some fine grit paper to the stock to soothe it out and gave it a few coats of Tru-Oil IMG_1558.jpg

Fastrig and Alexandro Faria like this.

3. MISportsman

MISportsman AH Member

If I were to buy a gun for the soul purpose of being a."working gun" it would be a ruger american in .30-06. Not flashy or expensive, but reliable and accurate. The biggest downfall is the stock which you want to change. Just my opinion, your choices are both very good as well

4. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

what does this work rifle have to do?
    bruce.

5. kayaker

kayaker New Member

You made the right choice.

I have shot .308's in the Zastava and out of the box Rem SPS. Also shot other Zastava chamberings (in SA and Canada) and other Rems over the years ( most recently a very disappointing .30-06 CDL that's a 3MOA rifle at its best).

My friends first hunting rifle was a Zastava fullstock .308 and with my 150gr handloads shot consistent sub MOA groups. Its only flaw was the heavy grease they use in the firing pin raceway. At extreme cold temps in Alberta (-20 deg C) the grease would slow the pin down enough that most shots were FTF, cleaning solved that. My friend in SA has an early model Zastava .30-06 with the set trigger - also a very accurate and functional rifle.

Zastava's are a little 'rough' buts that's really minor.

6. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    I believe you made a good choice. I have owned several Remington 700s and they all shot exceptionally accurate! My major, MAJOR dislike is the bolt doesn’t lock closed with a round in the chamber! Example of why I hate this: I was antelope hunting a while back. Stalking a smaller buck when suddenly a fine one came out of the gulley I was in. Threw the gun to my shoulder only to find the bolt open and no cartridge in the bore! Happened on a doe another time. I hate that about the newer ones!
    I have two older ones and the 30-06 is this way, but the 222 Rem locks closed. Ugh!

I’ve only owned a Mark X action in 257 Roberts of which I wish I had never sold, but I needed money for my college tuition and it was the easiest to get cash for in 1967.

Please let us know how your new rifle shoots when you get the chance! Again I think you made a wise decision for a “working” rifle. Enjoy!

7. Mike Van Horn

Mike Van Horn AH Senior Member

I recently purchased a Zastava in 375H&H. So far very accurate with three different bullet weights shooting in the same group at 50 yards iron sights. It has the double set triggers
    IMG_0638.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019

8. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    To me all rifles should be working rifles, the idea of a safe queen makes no sense.

If you can afford a fancy rifle and not use it you either have too much money or you're spending it on the wrong things!

9. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    I hope the Zastava goes well. I think the price dictates the decision but it’s all relevant.
    I’m sure it will smooth up with some use and most new rifles shoot well within reason.
    Enjoy

10. Alexandro Faria

Alexandro Faria AH Veteran

Member of:
    SA wingshooters, GOSA,
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Botswana
    Very nice! I'm going to pull her apart the moment I get her and give her a thorough going over. I want to give the stock a matte finish, so looking into walnut oils. The 7mm looks great, I'd be pretty chuffed with an FA like that.

11. Alexandro Faria

Member of:
    SA wingshooters, GOSA,
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Botswana
    Was definitely a consideration, but I wanted something we could use comfortably from the get go and that stock is just horrible. I actually looked at a Ruger Scout, which would have been choice #1. But at more than double the price of the Zastava, I couldn't justify the purchase for a rifle that was going to spend most of it's time on the passenger seat or being pulled through thick bush.

12. Alexandro Faria

Member of:
    SA wingshooters, GOSA,
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Botswana

Morning Bruce,

I guess nothing too different to any other rifle, when it all comes down to it. I guess the emphasis is affordability, simplicity and reliability. The need is for something the SO and I can both use cheaply and can use on a variety of game where ammo is easily gotten hold of in the middle of nowhere and we're not too worried about wood getting scratched and so on.

The FA is going to get a bit of a hack job in that I will be putting on a suppressor and so on, I can't justify doing that to something "classic".

Essentially it's just a farm gun that will sit along side a 12g pump. Neither are pretty, both are (I predict) very effective. It's a 2 gun battery that gives me the opportunity to deal with just about everything and I REALLY like that.

However, I am aware that it all comes down to preference and is very subjective...

13. Alexandro Faria

Member of:
    SA wingshooters, GOSA,
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Botswana
    Definitely think you need to blood that beauty of a buff or eland here in RSA. Beautiful rifle, congrats.

14. Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
    CZ, will never let you down!!!!
    just keeps working, little like a toyota