Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
So the SO is in the market for work rifle and we've got it down to two contenders: A zastava m70, brand new, or a remington BDL, both in 308 win.

Requirements:
A tool that is accurate and one that can be used and abused (not intentionally, but s### happens. Preferably synthetic and capable of a magpul conversion. Not worried about pretty, it's a work FA and therefore the focus is on practicality and effectiveness regarding getting the job done.

The firearm will be fitted with a suppressor

Details

M70:
Brand new
4 round mag
Apparently quite accurate out the box
Control feed (nice action on the one we found. Slick indeed)
Wood stock
$800-Third of the price of the Rem

Remington BDL
Second hand
Converted from a 30-06 (5 round mag)
Comes with sling, scope and rings, 2 boxes of ammo
Aftermarket Bell and Carlson Stock
Blue printed action- push feed
Accuracy is apparently decent
$1200

Need help choosing, please???

Albert GRANT

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
Mossberg patriot. $300-600 depending on model and as accurate, if not more so than either of the 2 you listed. It really is crazy what this company is putting out for a rifle with the price they are getting

Jeffrey

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Louisiana, Mississippi
Of the two, I’d go with the zastava, but neither would be what I’d recommend. For a great 308, look at the Steyr Scout. For more traditional lines, go with a Winchester Featherweight or Winchester All Weather Stainless.

Alexandro Faria

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Those are the two options... Can't go into why, but that's sadly how it is at present.

Jeffrey

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Louisiana, Mississippi
I’m not a fan of short (308) chamberings in long actions. I also dislike Remy 700s and their clones for anything but range work.

So I wouldn’t get the Remy.

Albert GRANT

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
Those are the two options... Can't go into why, but that's sadly how it is at present.
In that case the zastava. Why spend more money on something to be "used and abused"? There is nothing special about a rem 700 and the company is going downhill. With the crf the zastava is probably actually the better rifle anyway

Inline6

AH veteran
Reaction score

I know nothing about the Zastava M70, is the a Winchester knockoff?

The rem is okay, I would definitely make sure it has a good trigger in it and nothing like a jewel (they are not field friendly).

Inline6

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of short (308) chamberings in long actions. I also dislike Remy 700s and their clones for anything but range work.

So I wouldn’t get the Remy.

Agreed that in itself can cause more problems than needed. Especially in a high stress situation.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
I know nothing about the Zastava M70, is the a Winchester knockoff?

Zastava is one very old rifle maker, dating back to middle 19-hundreds.
Based in Serbia. Initially cannon making factory.

By the end of 19th century, Serbian army major Kosta Koka Milovanovic was in charge for commisioning new rifle for Serbian Army.
He was also a firearm constructor and designer.
He made some design changes on the mauser rifle, model 1978 / 80.
Privately, he also married one of Wilhelm Mausers daughters.
This is how mausers rifles came in Serbia.

After WW1 - the the factory signed in 1920 ties, contract with FN Herstal factory to start producing masuer m24 rifles. and some time later obtained machinery for producing factory rifles from belgians. Ever since, they are producing mauser system rifles.

After the ww2, they continued production of yugo mauser m48 (clone od mauser 98K) on military contracts.

By the end of 1960 ties - they started production of sporting m70, mauser style hunting rifles, with mauser action and with modern thumb safety switch, as opposed to classic "butterlfy" mauser clasic safety, plus options with set triggers, either german of french style.

During and after balkans wars, the quality of rifles is said to be lower then the rifles made before 1991.

Year of production, in most cases can be esatblished by checking 4 digit number stamped on receiver, in format MMYY.

Some are exported to US, have stamp Charles Daly, and / or Interarms mark X.
They also had some actions exported to Remington, who fitted new rifles under model name remington 798 (on mauser style actions)

So, by now they are producing mauser rifles almost 100 years, and posibly they are cheapest masuer rifles on the market today.

Alexandro Faria

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Thanks all, I really appreciate it! I feel like the decision is clear, based on the reactions above. Anyone know of a conversion kit that will allow me to turn the zastava into a magazine fed FA?

Inline6

AH veteran
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 9.19.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 9.19.29 AM.png
    608.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 9.19.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 9.19.31 AM.png
    651.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
I don't know how current Zastava's are compared to the Interarms Mark X which was a solid low cost rifle. If they are close, I would go with the Zastava.

For me it would be hard to believe that a Remington is worth 50% more than any rifle.

Hutch01

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
RSA East Cape 4X, Mozambique, NZ, Namibia
Ruger Hawkeye African 300 Win Mag would be my choice..

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
Zastava is one very old rifle maker, dating back to middle 19-hundreds.
Based in Serbia. Initially cannon making factory.

By the end of 19th century, Serbian army major Kosta Koka Milovanovic was in charge for commisioning new rifle for Serbian Army.
He was also a firearm constructor and designer.
He made some design changes on the mauser rifle, model 1978 / 80.
Privately, he also married one of Wilhelm Mausers daughters.
This is how mausers rifles came in Serbia.

After WW1 - the the factory signed in 1920 ties, contract with FN Herstal factory to start producing masuer m24 rifles. and some time later obtained machinery for producing factory rifles from belgians. Ever since, they are producing mauser system rifles.

After the ww2, they continued production of yugo mauser m48 (clone od mauser 98K) on military contracts.

By the end of 1960 ties - they started production of sporting m70, mauser style hunting rifles, with mauser action and with modern thumb safety switch, as opposed to classic "butterlfy" mauser clasic safety, plus options with set triggers, either german of french style.

During and after balkans wars, the quality of rifles is said to be lower then the rifles made before 1991.

Year of production, in most cases can be esatblished by checking 4 digit number stamped on receiver, in format MMYY.

Some are exported to US, have stamp Charles Daly, and / or Interarms mark X.
They also had some actions exported to Remington, who fitted new rifles under model name remington 798 (on mauser style actions)

So, by now they are producing mauser rifles almost 100 years, and posibly they are cheapest masuer rifles on the market today.
Thanks for sharing.

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
I own a few Zastava's they are not fancy and the action needs some cycling to smooth out, the stocks could use a little clean up but I'd buy another one if the need presented itself, My 375HH MK X was a great shooting rifle sorry I ever parted with it

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Key word: CRF in a Mauser action. Go Zastava.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelineM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J