Best make for Doubles

For the best bang for the buck in a new double, Verney-Caron.
However, to match dollar for dollar, I would suggest a vintage double from the UK (England or Scotland). Black powder express rifles are a super deal and the nitro express can be bought at fair prices on private sales. The workmanship is outstanding, they are well broken in, some have wonderful history, and they will appreciate in value (look at the "deals" on used modern doubles and that will show you a loss in value).
Just my two cents.
Cal
 
For the best bang for the buck in a new double, Verney-Caron.
However, to match dollar for dollar, I would suggest a vintage double from the UK (England or Scotland). Black powder express rifles are a super deal and the nitro express can be bought at fair prices on private sales. The workmanship is outstanding, they are well broken in, some have wonderful history, and they will appreciate in value (look at the "deals" on used modern doubles and that will show you a loss in value).
Just my two cents.
Cal
May be just your two cents, but it carries quite a bit of weight on this forum IMO!
 
Here would be my list:

Best double ever made tie for first place:

Dickson of Edinburgh or Hartmann & Weiss

Honorable mention for tier 1:

Purdey, Woodward, Stephen Grant, Lang, Watson Brothers, Rigby

Egocentric and overrated for tier 2:

Holland & Holland

Very nice tier 2 guns:

Westley Richards, Henry Atkin, Isaac Hollis, Charles Hellis, Charles Lancaster, Edwinson Green, etc.

Rough and tumble tier 3 guns that are quite functional:

Rodda, Cogswell & Harrison, Lyon & Lyon and the rest of the India retailers of Birmingham made arms

Tier 4:

The very best quality vintage Ferlach, Liege, Suhl, Zella-Mehlis, Gardone and St. Etienne guns.

Tier 5:

Merkel, Krieghoff, Blazer, Heym, VC, Lebeau,

Tier 6:

Sabatti (speaking from an owner/operator experienced view)
 
I won't take issue as we all have our opinions.
Cal
 
I believe a dead thread has come back to life!!!
 
And surely Cal, you have a good one based on a fair amount of experience. Share with us what your favorites are in more detail!
There are a hand full of guys on this forum, that every time they comment on a thread, I learn something. You and Cal are two of them! Yes, most of you have different opinions, but that just increases the amount of knowledge posted, that members like me try to soak up!
 
I am quite pleased with my Heym, although I seriously looked at Searcy as well.
 
For the best bang for the buck in a new double, Verney-Caron.
Cal
Since I'm one of the rookies here I would like to know why you think VC's are the tops in terms of best value. I was thinking of Heym..
 
@cal pappas , please would you be kind enough to elaborate more on why in your opinion the Verneys are the "best bang for the buck"

thank you in advance
 
Certainly.
The VC double rifles have a combination of quality--both ornamentation and construction, lines, balance, fit, feel, etc. with a price that makes them, in my opinion, the best of European modern doubles. Now, before the readership begins to construct a gallows, let me also state other rifles (Kreighoff, Heym, Merkel, SIACE, the better Sabatti rifles, Chapuis, etc.) are all fine working rifles and will do the job. All (except the crappy muzzle ground Sabatti), will work well for you hunting or plinking. However, for the price, VC seem to me the best combination of all aspects one looks at when buying a double. Heym makes a nice .600 double, but they are double the cost of a VC. Are they worth it? That is up to the buyer. One can save a few dollars buying a Sabatti or a used Merkel or Kreighoff and is it worth the money to do so? Again, that is up to the buyer.

I handle, shoot, evaluate, appraise, and own several doubles and if I were t0 buy a new double, and didn't want to shell out the $ for a new double made in the UK, I would chose VC. Not that the others are bad, I just think VC has it all for what I look for in a double rifle. (That said, I'm not on the payroll of VC nor am I planning any double purchases other than vintage UK double rifles).

Cheers and go easy fellas, I'm quite sensitive. For those that go on the attack, I have a very good therapist.
Cal
 
@cal pappas yup i agree with what you say about VC doubles having looked and handled them a few times. the round body keeps tempting me.........but the sensible monkey on my right shoulder keeps going :E Nono:.....

When you find a way to remove that little bugger from your shoulder, please let me know.
 
@spike.t as you have reminded me on another thread you need to listen to your naughty monkey. Get the vc spike! HA!
 
Yep you asked for it!
 
Spike T I know a couple good archers that would be willing to do a (William Tell) of the monkey off your shoulder. Would be more interesting than a simple apple:whistle:
 
Spike T I know a couple good archers that would be willing to do a (William Tell) of the monkey off your shoulder. Would be more interesting than a simple apple:whistle:

Can I get in on that? I didn't draw archery elk this year so need the practice.....:sneaky:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,591
Members
169,592
Latest member
digitalonetick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top