Best bullet for Cape Buffalo

I've shot Cape Buffalo with NF Cup Point Solids, Swift A Frames and Barnes TSXs. Each performed perfectly.

I'm certain other comparable high quality bullets by Woodleigh, CEB and GS would do equally well.

I've shot Cape Buffalo with NF Cup Point Solids, Swift A Frames and Barnes TSXs. Each performed perfectly.

I'm certain other comparable high quality bullets by Woodleigh, CEB and GS would do equally well.

You may have mentioned it in other threads, but what did you think of the performance of the NF Cup Point solids? I've not worked with any of their solids at all. I'm giving thought to developing a load for my .458B&M with the CPS. The idea being that it be the only bullet in the magazine versus a soft/solid combination.

I posted some info on my experience with the Cup Point Solid in one of the bullet threads- can't remember which one though- maybe one of the DGX threads? Anyway, I tested it in my standard saturated phone book/hardwood media. The results were a pleasant surprise. The channel formed very early in the penetration. It never got as large as say a regular expanding soft point but the channel continued for a much longer distance down the bullet track. After full expansion, the small rivet that forms at the CPS nose probably does not impede velocity as rapidly as that of a regular soft point that may expand 2x diameter. The penetration track through the media was straight, deep and the bullet remained nose first for the entire travel. The 370 gr, 416 CPS tested also proved to be extremely accurate in the hunting loads I worked up and used. Load mv was 2350.

The accuracy was so good that I used that bullet for several plains game in addition to buffalo. The only other CPS I recovered was from an eland. The performance on the eland was very impressive with the bullet traveling through a couple of feet of neck vertebrae at an angle and through one shoulder stopping in the ribs behind the shoulder. The shot angle on the eland was sightly odd in that it was laying down, curled, facing at an angle, and slightly below. The CPS recovered from the buffalo was a follow up (I believe 2nd shot) at about 40- 50 yards as the bull ran past. That bullet entered behind the ribs, passed through a full rumen, crossed the thoracic cavity at an angle and terminated in the off side shoulder. All the CPS bullets I have recovered including from: the media testing, the buffalo, the eland and even the dirt range backstop are nearly identical in appearance. That if nothing else tells me how consistent and predictable the terminal performance of the design really is. I would think behavior of the 450 gr 458 CPS to be similar.

North Fork CPS.png

Last edited:
I posted some info on my experience with the Cup Point Solid in one of the bullet threads- can't remember which one though- maybe one of the DGX threads? Anyway, I tested it in my standard saturated phone book/hardwood media. The results were a pleasant surprise. The channel formed very early in the penetration. It never got as large as say a regular expanding soft point but the channel continued for a much longer distance down the bullet track. After full expansion, the small rivet that forms at the CPS nose probably does not impede velocity as rapidly as that of a regular soft point that may expand 2x diameter. The penetration track through the media was straight, deep and the bullet remained nose first for the entire travel. The 370 gr, 416 CPS tested also proved to be extremely accurate in the hunting loads I worked up and used. Load mv was 2350.

The accuracy was so good that I used that bullet for several plains game in addition to buffalo. The only other CPS I recovered was from an eland. The performance on the eland was very impressive with the bullet traveling through a couple of feet of neck vertebrae at an angle and through one shoulder stopping in the ribs behind the shoulder. The shot angle on the eland was sightly odd in that it was laying down, curled, facing at an angle, and slightly below. The CPS recovered from the buffalo was a follow up (I believe 2nd shot) at about 40- 50 yards as the bull ran past. That bullet entered behind the ribs, passed through a full rumen, crossed the thoracic cavity at an angle and terminated in the off side shoulder. All the CPS bullets I have recovered including from: the media testing, the buffalo, the eland and even the dirt range backstop are nearly identical in appearance. That if nothing else tells me how consistent and predictable the terminal performance of the design really is. I would think behavior of the 450 gr 458 CPS to be similar.

View attachment 196371

Thanks, you've convinced me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatildaGra

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.