Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, RSA, Namibia, Cameroon, Mozambique, Canada, USA
Hi all,

I am headed to Cameroon shortly and decided To bring my smaller pair of Bino’s which are 8x30’s. I do not have a case for these Binos but I was wondering which vendor would be the best for warm weather. I have the Alaska and the horn hunter but those are too bulky and I think would be too warm for long walks hunting in 90+ degrees. I also have a Binobib from scopecoat for my full size binos, but I see they must have been bought by Sentry and not sure about the new design that is illustrated on their page. Has anybody had any experience with this new style binobib or is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks

I do not use a case in Africa (or most places). I think their value is in preventing rocks from damaging a glass in true mountain hunting. Otherwise they are, at least to me, a bulky nuisance. Rocky terrain is not an issue on most African hunts and won’t be where you are headed. I would use a simple strap/harness that positions the binos in the center of the chest. I personally think the Rick Young ultra light harness is the very best. Cabelas has them on line for twenty bucks.

I 3rd the Rick Young harness, I stopped using my cases as soon as I got my Rick Youngs.

Two cases...
I do not use a case in Africa (or most places) ... they are, at least to me, a bulky nuisance ...
+1 +1 ......... Amen !!!

I suggest that there are two cases (LOL, pun fully intended), as in two different applications, with binocs in Africa:

1) Plains game hunting with typically 10x binocs
I have no yet succumbed to the binocs harness/bra/wrap/chest-pack fashion. I keep mine around my neck with a double length of paracord.

Why?

I - I have had too many situations when instant glassing was required during a stalk to even conceive of having my binocs covered, wrapped, packed, cased, etc. during a hunt. Even slip-on ocular protectors are in the way when silent hunting / stalking (pirsch to our German & Austrian friends) in cover, which implies taking one step, glassing; talking one step, glassing; talking one step, glassing; etc.

II - Since I do not carry monster size binocs (12x or 15x) when hunting, the weight is not an issue with 10x and I can spend the entire day with binocs around my neck without the slightest discomfort. I do not need to spread the weight on my shoulders etc. As to protection of the binocs ... I just use the old idea: I pay attention. I am still hunting with the Zeiss 10x40 BGA I bought in 1983 and Lords knows they have been everywhere from the Alps, to the Rockies, to Alaska, to Newfoundland, to Labrador, to Africa, etc.

III - Every time I can, I like to lean my body onto a tree, a boulder, a anthill, etc. to steady my shot. To do this effectively one cannot have a binocs harness/bra/case/pack across the chest. The big advantage of the paracord is that it slides effortlessly around my neck. I just flick the binocs over my shoulder and they hang on my back out of the way when I need to lean onto something to take a shot. Very fast, easy, very effective... This is why I do not use neoprene cushioned straps, or even the old fashioned leather strap: neoprene or leather do not slide easily around your neck when throwing the glass over the shoulder in the back out of the way when leaning or crawling...

SCBE5746.JPG

Zeiss 10x40 BGA binocs on a short double length of paracord, instantly available to glass quickly with one hand, yet ready to be flicked over the shoulder and slide smoothly over my back completely out of the way if I need to lean onto something (tree, boulder, etc.) to steady a shot.

2) Dangerous game hunting with typically 8x binocs
I do not need big binocs to stalk up close to DG in dense bush. I would certainly not consider hunting anything under any circumstance without binocs, but for DG 8x is plenty enough. I keep them around my neck & shoulder at waist height with a long double length of paracord.

Why?

I - I do not want anything dangling on my chest that could interfere with a quick snap shot with the double rifle when following game up close in dense bush.

II - I want to be able to use the binocs instantly with one hand. The paracord slides smoothly around my neck & shoulder when the binocs come up to my eyes, then go down to my side out of the way.

Buff Hunting 2018.JPG

SLC 8x30 WB Swarovski binocs on a long double length of paracord, completely out of the way if a quick shot is required, yet instantly available to slide smoothly up with one hand. Two rounds of .470 up in the belt shell holder ready for fast grab for quick reload...

Best binocs cover for actual hunting? None! Harnesses would be OK if one could just get the dang things out of the way instantly...

Last edited:
Kuiu small bino harness (not the new bigger version)Comes with a small attachment so you don’t need the chest box if you don’t want. I like it as I keep extra ammo there.
Very comfortable. And a good place to put Binoculars when running.

Rick Young for smaller 8x30 or 10x30 as a number have stated. Anything bigger, I like a leather over the shoulder strap. I’ve tried the Rick Young on my 10x40 Swaros, but it just doesn’t work for me.
Best of luck on your hunt! WOW 90+ isn’t going to be a piece of cake in the sun every day!

Rick Young for sure

Thanks for all of the responses. Sounds like Rick Young is the way to go. I see that the sliding adjuster gizmo isn’t flat. I will be wearing a backpack with a hydration bladder, will this adjuster irritate my back with a pack pressing against it? Anybody tried this set up?

Thanks for all of the responses. Sounds like Rick Young is the way to go. I see that the sliding adjuster gizmo isn’t flat. I will be wearing a backpack with a hydration bladder, will this adjuster irritate my back with a pack pressing against it? Anybody tried this set up?

I’ve been using the Rick Young for a few years now and have been very happy with them. They give you so many options to chose from depending on the situation.
Yes after a while the adjuster will irritate you, (regardless of backpack or not, but it won’t press on it, at least not with my 20L day pack. -I just checked) but then you can move it to a classic setup, or diagonal, and it won’t be on the same spot.
They also give you the option what kind of walk/stalk/veld terrain you are going through.

I personally prefer them diagonally on my off shooting side when walking, but at times they are on the small of my back, or on the chest.
What ever rocks your boat.

We have Leica and Leupold 10x42's and used the FHF Gear, KUIU and Rick Young harness.
In my experience the FHF and KUIU are well suited to mountain hunting.
The RYH would be better for hot weather, but personally I prefer using simple Para (550 cord).
Same reasons as @One Day... gave.
Adding only that you can't beat the price.

I got the Rick Young bino harness last year and have it installed on my Zeiss 8 x 32 Victory binos, these are my main birdwatching binoculars. The ability to carry your binos in several positions is very helpful depending what else you're doing (carrying a camera or rifle, climbing up a steep slope with lots of brush), I prefer the diagonal position most of the time with this strap.

They are a whole twenty bucks. Try them.

Forget about bino covers.

Let the PH do most of the bino work and rather concentrate on getting setup properly and placing the first shot where it needs to go. Most PH will use a simple sling over one shoulder arm through so it can be lifted into position with one hand and moved out of the way with the same hand.

Yes take binos but do not over stress the use there of.

Forget about bino covers.

Let the PH do most of the bino work and rather concentrate on getting setup properly and placing the first shot where it needs to go. Most PH will use a simple sling over one shoulder arm through so it can be lifted into position with one hand and moved out of the way with the same hand.

Yes take binos but do not over stress the use there of.

My PH gave me the same advise and it worked out well for me.

I was just in Cameroon and the 8X is good. I only use Rick Young’s bino harness. No cover to get in the way and no twisty “bra straps” like all the others. You will sweat a lot with anything else.
Best of luck on your adventure to Cameroon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you